The Zune: A review.
Feb 2, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #181 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrulock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you just plain old drag and drop files? Or copy paste? Also thik it will drive shure e4c's? I have found them hard to drive on alot of protables?

Y'know, I'm not really sure just how much they can drive. The amp seems similar in power to what I remember from the iPod, but I could be wrong.

The way I have my Zune set up, I attach it, then drag and drop whatever songs I want into the sync window. It's drag and drop with one more step, essentially... the sync process.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #183 of 294
I just got my zune today, have to say the sound quality so far is good (not properly A-B ed it with anything) and the screen is fab.

What sold me on the zune over an ipod is the user interface which is very pretty. The ipod interface looks very basic in comparison. I also refuse to get dragged into the "i have an ipod therefore im cool/hip" thing
tongue.gif
. One thing i love about it all is the album art and the way it displays it compared to how the ipod shows its.

Even though some people report problems with the software, ive not had any really. Its much like windows media player 11, it actually makes it fun organising your music (mine had spent 8 years unsorted until i knew i had a zune coming this morning).

Video quality is very good (having just encoded and watched scrubs s6 e6 ( i (L) musicals
tongue.gif
) ), the extra 0.5 inches over the ipod makes a big difference even though they are the same resolution.

Any of you that see the zune in a shop with the factory backgrounds, dont be fooled by their low quality, the screen is much better than it shows with those (i was very worried when i first saw it).

If you're still not convinced that the zune isnt a dud watch these... Review part 1 and Part 2

There are rumours MS will be adding podcast support soon and hopefully since the hardware is capable, they will add more things like proper wireless networking and more compatible file formats.

If you ask me, I would recommend the zune
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #184 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonkersaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Its much like windows media player 11, it actually makes it fun organising your music (mine had spent 8 years unsorted until i knew i had a zune coming this morning).

Video quality is very good (having just encoded and watched scrubs s6 e6 ( i (L) musicals
tongue.gif
) ), the extra 0.5 inches over the ipod makes a big difference even though they are the same resolution.

If you ask me, I would recommend the zune
wink.gif

Thats almost exactly what I thought, felt and did when I got my Zune!
Exactly the same episode of Scrubs!

This is so freaky!

On a side note, pasting album art into the zune organiser is a pain in the backside, sometimes it will randomly reduce the quality or resize to odd aspect ratios, or even change the genre!

What program did you use to encode Scrubs? Encode360 works pretty well and is very fast, although I can't get 2 pass to work...

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #186 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by highlighter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ill stick with my pod

*high fives*

Wicked awesome, homeslice!

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #187 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*high fives*

Wicked awesome, homeslice!

ROFLMAO

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #188 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What program did you use to encode Scrubs? Encode360 works pretty well and is very fast, although I can't get 2 pass to work...

Im using windows media encoder 9, works well for me and is free, its a bit slow loading the videos in, but CBR and VBR work for both audio and video.

If you try it, remember to change the resolution of the video to 320x240 in the encoder settings, bitrate to 500k and the audio bitrate to 128kbps 44khz (or whatever u want).

there are guides around that show u how to do it, including on the zune official web site. havent got bitrates higher than 500k to work, but it looks very very good to me.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #190 of 294
I am ABSOLUTELY impressed with ZUNE!. It has the superb SQ of a Rio Karma. But the best part is that the Soundstage is slightly wider than Rio's upfront presentation and so does the separation of instruments.

Zune is like having a Rio Karma paired with an LDM+.

Simply AWESOME

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #192 of 294
Q for Zune owners.

If all my music files are in lossless Flac files, what's the best strategy to work with Zune? I would be only using lossless files on Zune also.

Is it possible to keep only Flac files on my PC, but convert them into WMA lossless files on the fly as they get dropped into Zune, so I don't have double copies of the same song on my PC?

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #193 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Q for Zune owners.

If all my music files are in lossless Flac files, what's the best strategy to work with Zune? I would be only using lossless files on Zune also.

Is it possible to keep only Flac files on my PC, but convert them into WMA lossless files on the fly as they get dropped into Zune, so I don't have double copies of the same song on my PC?

I was a FLAC addict before and I understand your craving.

But mark my word. You dont need FLAC for ZUNE. It will automatically convert any MP3, WAV or AAC to WMA on the fly when synchronized. I despaired at this at first but after having a good listen to them on my ZUNE I could not find any reason to complain. They sounded all the same as my FLAC/WAVE/LAME libraries. Only 192 WMA will be used with ZUNE software so if you want other format it will have to be transferred using other method which I don't know of.

FOR ME, why use lossless when the latest lossy format sounds the same? - my 2 cents.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #194 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only 192 WMA will be used with ZUNE software so if you want other format it will have to be transferred using other method which I don't know of.

WHAAAT? Zune software only supports WMA 192???! Surely, that can't be true. Anybody know how to transfer WMA lossless to Zune? If not, Zune is OUT for me.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #195 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAAAT? Zune software only supports WMA 192???! Surely, that can't be true. Anybody know how to transfer WMA lossless to Zune? If not, Zune is OUT for me.

no lossless on the zune itself yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back