The Zune: A review.
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #211 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it out at a local retailer with my UM2s and heard no hiss. Has anybody tried with "real" cans like DT-880s or AKGs? I have a feeling the Zune could drive them.

Ive used my Zune with my DT770pro/80's. I had to turn the zune up to the max volume.. and it still wasnt good enough. Damn you headfi.. damn you. I ordered an amp. I never thought I would own one.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #212 of 294
I never really know what to think when Microsoft makes forays into the hardware world. Being a Linux man myself, I've got a slightly skeptical outlook on the company as a whole - which, I have to admit, is rather unfair. Several very talented people work there, and the results are generally seen in their 'fringe' products - products that don't have to deal with the lumbering windows codebase. Hence, when they get into hardware, the results are - at the very least - interesting. The XBox is one example - a fine console.

So, judging by the posts on this thread, microsoft has gone and created a rather sweet little mp3 player. I went and auditioned one a few days ago, and I must say I was impressed. Now, I'm a shallow fellow, and so its killer looks nabbed me right from the start. Add to that a rather glorious (IMHO - and from a few minutes fiddling only) interface, and I was impressed. Given the reduction in the number of new hard disk mp3 players (as opposed to generic media devices) these days (has anybody noticed that? Where's the H340's successor? Is Archos making only PMPs?), I'm rather glad the Zune is out there in the wild. Perhaps when my H320 finally gives out on me, and I hit grad school, I'll reward myself by getting one.

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #213 of 294
Nice review. The review made me finaly jump the gun and bought a Zune last night, although I haven't gotten a chance to use it. I started going through the "synch" process last night at 12:30am, and at 6:15AM now, it's only 60% complete. :/ I need to go back to sleep anyways, so hopefuly it should be done when I truly wake up. Can't wait to see how these sound with my iGrado's compared to my first gen iPod Shuffle.

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #214 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou Laharl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. The review made me finaly jump the gun and bought a Zune last night, although I haven't gotten a chance to use it. I started going through the "synch" process last night at 12:30am, and at 6:15AM now, it's only 60% complete. :/ I need to go back to sleep anyways, so hopefuly it should be done when I truly wake up. Can't wait to see how these sound with my iGrado's compared to my first gen iPod Shuffle.

Huh, what were you syncing? AAC and MP3 shouldn't need any conversion, so you must have a massive collection.

That first gen shuffle's a real champ... I'm curious to see how the Zune stacks up to it.

I'm still completely in love with my Zune even with the whole "newness" of the device gone. It's a rock solid player and it's so hard to go back to an iPod once you've mastered the interface. Here's a question though... has anyone gotten the dock? Does that thing have a true line out, or is it amplified?

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #215 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, what were you syncing? AAC and MP3 shouldn't need any conversion, so you must have a massive collection.

That first gen shuffle's a real champ... I'm curious to see how the Zune stacks up to it.

I'm still completely in love with my Zune even with the whole "newness" of the device gone. It's a rock solid player and it's so hard to go back to an iPod once you've mastered the interface. Here's a question though... has anyone gotten the dock? Does that thing have a true line out, or is it amplified?

I had the same problem when sync'ing for the first time, I quit out of it and introduced things slower than an all at once sync..

and I agree its a great player, I have converted two IPOD users into Zune users in the past weeks.. the only problem I have with mine is the random reboots.. I thought it was a problem with my first player but my second one does the same thing.. i've done some reading on the subject and it looks to be a static problem, the zune is made to shut down if it gets zapped which is easily passed down the headphone cable..

some have been told by tech support that this will be addressed in firmware 1.3, will have to wait and see..

I've also just purchased a pair of Shure E500's upgrading my E3C's cant wait to hear them on the Zune..

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #216 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem when sync'ing for the first time, I quit out of it and introduced things slower than an all at once sync..

and I agree its a great player, I have converted two IPOD users into Zune users in the past weeks.. the only problem I have with mine is the random reboots.. I thought it was a problem with my first player but my second one does the same thing.. i've done some reading on the subject and it looks to be a static problem, the zune is made to shut down if it gets zapped which is easily passed down the headphone cable..

some have been told by tech support that this will be addressed in firmware 1.3, will have to wait and see..

I've also just purchased a pair of Shure E500's upgrading my E3C's cant wait to hear them on the Zune..

My zune is listed as Hardware Release 2.0 and it never goes funky on me so far. You should check with tech Support on this
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #217 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My zune is listed as Hardware Release 2.0 and it never goes funky on me so far. You should check with tech Support on this
wink.gif

where is that listing at?

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #218 of 294
My Zune does the same thing. If I place it in my jean pocket without a case, the static electricity builds up and I start hearing the popping noises in my earphones til' the Zune eventually shuts off.

I'm on Hardware 2.0 as well, (You can find this info in the 'about' section in the Zune.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #219 of 294
Hi,

I've been reading a lot about the Zune player and I am wondering if anyone actually have a Sansae 270 as well. I just got it 2 weeks ago and I am not all that happy about the sound quality. I ripped at 320 vbr so I don't think it is really the format but rather just the sound source... So can anyone tell me if I get a Zune will I see any significant improvements? Thanx for your help!

Charlie
3000smile.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #220 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I've been reading a lot about the Zune player and I am wondering if anyone actually have a Sansae 270 as well. I just got it 2 weeks ago and I am not all that happy about the sound quality. I ripped at 320 vbr so I don't think it is really the format but rather just the sound source... So can anyone tell me if I get a Zune will I see any significant improvements? Thanx for your help!

Charlie
3000smile.gif

im not sure about the Sansa but I went from a Iriver PMP-120 to the Zune and it sounds 100x better.. many reviews give the zune props for its sound quality.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #221 of 294
Quote:

Hi,

Charlie
3000smile.gif

The Sansa e series doesn't have excellent sound quality. Check the forums on www.dapreview.net or www.anythingbutipod.com and check what ppl are saying about the SQ on these Sandisk player.

So, if you really need more than the 6GB + microSD capacity you get on the Sansa, a bigger screen, support for AA and more accesories to choose from then get the Zune with his excellent SQ...

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #222 of 294
Hi,

Thanx for your inputs. Ricardo, I did went on the anythingbutipod site and in their review for sansa's audio quality was not bad. And somehow I did not find a review for zune. Are there anyone that own both zune and sansa e200 to give me their first hand exp. Thanx!

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #223 of 294
Quote:

Hi,

Thanx for your inputs. Ricardo, I did went on the anythingbutipod site and in their review for sansa's audio quality was not bad. And somehow I did not find a review for zune. Are there anyone that own both zune and sansa e200 to give me their first hand exp. Thanx!

My little sister has that model Sansa. The difference in sq is pretty big, advantage Zune. But I could probably fit like ten Sansas in my mouth if that makes any difference.

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #224 of 294
dang, reading this thread has me convinced. Too bad i just recently upgraded to the 80 gig 5.5 ipod. Ill undoubtedly be upgrading anyway soon, but the dealbreakers for me in the current zune are the limited space (80 gig is barely cutting it for all my music and videos), the inability to be used as a HDD without a hack (i regularly use the ipod to transfer files within my work pc, laptio, and room desktop), and the clunky software. If the new Zune addresses all these problems (esp. the size HDD size factor). ill definitely be getting it....but who knows what jobs has in store for the 6th gen.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back