The Zishan dsd's corner
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,897 of 3,711
Hi,
If you play mp3 format you shouldn't use zishan. I don't know what for. Zishan shows power with hi res not mp3 files:)
Yeah, I would second this, zishan plays mp3, but it doesn't do it well. Zishan seems to be focused on high resolution files. You could save yourself a Lil bit and grab a ibasso dx50 or Dx90 and they sound better using mp3 files and they have a lot of mods and hundreds of custom oi with really good equalizer. I keep my dx50 specifically for mp3 and long trips (replacement batteries, pocket friendly) the dx50 also works better with iems

But the dsd kills it with high def files and the right headphones (my diy 400ohm graphene sound better then my grados sr80 or hifiman he4xx)

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,898 of 3,711
Hi all, i am a single 4497 user. I have a question, many of my friends here said that zishan is over powered product, they said it has high DC offset (i don't know what is it) and can damage the iem. Is that true? How to deal with that issue?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,899 of 3,711
Hi all, i am a single 4497 user. I have a question, many of my friends here said that zishan is over powered product, they said it has high DC offset (i don't know what is it) and can broke the iem. Is that true? How to deal with that issue?
It may make some iems sound off tune, but it hasn't melted anything in my collection.......

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,901 of 3,711
So how to fixed that problem? I also curious what did you do to your off tune iem?
Nothing, there is no problem with the current, not in its factory form, but it has a high output impedance, this makes iems sound off tune, so don't use low impedance iems, avoid b.a. Iems, some iems sound better on the dsd and some worst, I use earbuds with high impedance, and full size cans, the dsd is a monster of a player but it won't damage anything I have found, even something like cheap kz iems don't break. Who ever gave you your info is a schmuck, don't bother listening to him/her. None of my iems have been damaged, maybe if I removed the output caps and resistors, then there is a possibility of ruining something. As is, in factory form the is no "high DC offset" so I don't know what your friends are talking about. There are many daps with similar problems, it's common, even some new smartphones have impedance problems, old Walkmans and CD players have high output impedance, so there is no need to fix my headphones, they are not out of tune. The zishan dsd is able to push some very high impedance buds and cans. If you only use low impedance iems then I wouldn't recommend you get a dsd, check out hidizs, or shanling.

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,902 of 3,711
Nothing, there is no problem with the current, not in its factory form, but it has a high output impedance, this makes iems sound off tune, so don't use low impedance iems, avoid b.a. Iems, some iems sound better on the dsd and some worst, I use earbuds with high impedance, and full size cans, the dsd is a monster of a player but it won't damage anything I have found, even something like cheap kz iems don't break. Who ever gave you your info is a schmuck, don't bother listening to him/her. None of my iems have been damaged, maybe if I removed the output caps and resistors, then there is a possibility of ruining something. As is, in factory form the is no "high DC offset" so I don't know what your friends are talking about. There are many daps with similar problems, it's common, even some new smartphones have impedance problems, old Walkmans and CD players have high output impedance, so there is no need to fix my headphones, they are not out of tune. The zishan dsd is able to push some very high impedance buds and cans. If you only use low impedance iems then I wouldn't recommend you get a dsd, check out hidizs, or shanling.
Thank you for your replies, these really help.
Furthermore, based on my understanding from what they said, DC offset is such a sudden high voltage when you switch on and off the dsd. It sounds "click" quite loud. They said this sudden voltage could damage sensitive drivers like iem's driver, so they advised me to switch on dsd first before plug in iem's jack and remove the jack first before switch off the dsd. Is that true? Do you apply the same treatment when using the dsd?

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #2,903 of 3,711
Thank you for your replies, these really help.
Furthermore, based on my understanding from what they said, DC offset is such a sudden high voltage when you switch on and off the dsd. It sounds "click" quite loud. They said this sudden voltage could damage sensitive drivers like iem's driver, so they advised me to switch on dsd first before plug in iem's jack and remove the jack first before switch off the dsd. Is that true? Do you apply the same treatment when using the dsd?
Only if you remove the output caps and resistors, I repeat once again, it is impossible in factory form...

I don't unplug prior to powering up, there is no need.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,904 of 3,711
Well, it seems my beloved ZiShan DSD won't charge anymore. No matter which micro USB cable or charger I attach it refused to charge. I think it must have some fault in the connection. It is now a nice paper weight. :worried:

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,905 of 3,711
Well, it seems my beloved ZiShan DSD won't charge anymore. No matter which micro USB cable or charger I attach it refused to charge. I think it must have some fault in the connection. It is now a nice paper weight. :worried:

Time to break out the multimeter perhaps? Test for continuity of the charging circuit and all that.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,906 of 3,711
hi
if i use usb dac mode dsd4497 ,dsd gets hot and my phone starts to power dsd and fill dsd's battery(my phone continues to power dsd even if dsd's battery is full).i want to learn if i disable the battery of dsd (cut cable inside) ,does dsd work in usb dac mode?i want that phone will only power dsd and wont fill battery of dsd by disabling battery of zishan .what do you think?
note: my phone screen got yellow on left side so i dont want to force my phone battery.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,907 of 3,711
Some time ago I finally did the opa1622 mod, using 2 of them after the 2 ad8620 that I use as lpf to drive the 2.5 balanced output.
While the output power increased I quickly discovered that I was current limited, so I read again the 1622 datasheet and those 145mA were the short circuit current, not the costant current output, I should have read everything more carefully :frowning2:. Since I use only planar headphones (something like 15ohm 89dB/mW) I reverted everything and started look for another solution that would not cause current bottlenecks.
I ended up today drawing a quick shematics using 2 tpa6120a2 in dip8 sockets, they have plenty of current although quite difficult to implement correctly.
I attached the schematics. @Ivan TT and other modders, what do you think? Is there a better way to implement them?
https://ibb.co/vdmrT0Y

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,909 of 3,711
Some time ago I finally did the opa1622 mod, using 2 of them after the 2 ad8620 that I use as lpf to drive the 2.5 balanced output.
While the output power increased I quickly discovered that I was current limited, so I read again the 1622 datasheet and those 145mA were the short circuit current, not the costant current output, I should have read everything more carefully :frowning2:. Since I use only planar headphones (something like 15ohm 89dB/mW) I reverted everything and started look for another solution that would not cause current bottlenecks.
I ended up today drawing a quick shematics using 2 tpa6120a2 in dip8 sockets, they have plenty of current although quite difficult to implement correctly.
I attached the schematics. @Ivan TT and other modders, what do you think? Is there a better way to implement them?
https://ibb.co/vdmrT0Y

I don't think I've seen any specs, listing the total output current capability of the (+) and (-) supply rails in the DSD.
How much additional current is available, to power higher output op-amps?

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,910 of 3,711
I don't think I've seen any specs, listing the total output current capability of the (+) and (-) supply rails in the DSD.
How much additional current is available, to power higher output op-amps?

The power is delivered by an MP1542, capable to output from 5V to 22V, up to 2A. The DSD is configured to output +/- 9v, which should be enough. (if necessary I can still raise the voltage up to +/- 13V, but I would need to change the caps)

My intention is to clean up all the power stage of the 3.5mm output, removing the dip8 socket too to have a clean flat surface. I can stick the 2 tpa6120 to the pcb using slim thermal adhesive pads, so that I can use the whole PCB as a cooler. But since the power voltage is not super high I don't think there can be any overheating issues.
I 've the doubt if is it worth to use a stripboard or do the wiring "in-the-air"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back