The Zishan dsd's corner
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,066 of 3,711
Does anyone know how volume control is implemented? Does it affect sound quality?

There's no digitally controlled analog volume control device, after the AK4497 DAC chip - so the volume control is either being done digitally before the DAC, or possibly in the analog domain inside the DAC. There isn't any obvious change to the sound, other than the volume level, when adjusting it up or down.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,067 of 3,711
Is there any info on the manufacturer of this Zishan device? I would love to contact them, uave some technical questions.

If digital volume control isn't done the right way (lossless) it WILL definitely influence sq in a negative way!

If i want to use it as a desktop dac, it probably needs very low volume otherwise it gets distorted at input of my pre-amp. And, with my KZ ZS-10 iems, which are very sensitive, i only need a fraction of its output too, so i really am concerned about volume control implementation

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,068 of 3,711
Does anyone know how volume control is implemented? Does it affect sound quality?
AK4497eq internal digital volume control is utilised, although in only 32 steps, not 256.
AK4497eq is a 32 bit DAC, but datasheet has no mention if dither is used or how it is implemented (I’m especially curious about DSD mode).
Regardless, when modding I try to adjust analog gain to match maximum comfortable volume to 32.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,069 of 3,711
Is there any info on the manufacturer of this Zishan device? I would love to contact them, uave some technical questions.

If digital volume control isn't done the right way (lossless) it WILL definitely influence sq in a negative way!

If i want to use it as a desktop dac, it probably needs very low volume otherwise it gets distorted at input of my pre-amp. And, with my KZ ZS-10 iems, which are very sensitive, i only need a fraction of its output too, so i really am concerned about volume control implementation

I've been unable to find a website (using Google searches), but there may be some folks on the WaZe (Walnut and Zishan Enthusiasts) Facebook group, who can get in-touch with the developers.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,070 of 3,711
Ok. What the heck is the difference between default sound quality and high sound quality in the Dac settings?This one has me stumped. Is it some sort of oversampling function?

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,071 of 3,711
Ok. What the heck is the difference between default sound quality and high sound quality in the Dac settings?This one has me stumped. Is it some sort of oversampling function?
I find the difference mainly in low mids, which sound fuller, and soundstage which appears to be wider (due to mids again, not highs, that create another feeling of soundstage width altogether).
I use high sound quality on BAs (but my DSD is modded to have low output impedance), and normal on DDs and sometimes hybrids, as mids could get bloated on these, but seldom on BAs.

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #1,073 of 3,711
Oh nice, 400gb works on zishan, thanks for the information :)

Anyway i want to add some information

Zishan dsd ak4497eq works on Sony Walkman ZX2 :)
0447-EE44-A066-4151-A4-B3-01-DB0136-A1-D0.jpg

But you need cable WMC-NWH10 to do this (kinda gamble to buy this but its works fine here)
7-BFB7796-869-B-4-FC8-869-B-36-AAECD9-C3-F5.jpg

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,074 of 3,711
Guys, I am looking to get the Zishan DSD ak4497s in the upcoming sale. The iems I have on my way to be paired with this dap is the dm6. Will probably add a balanced 3.5 mmcx pure copper 8 core cable to this setup.

I have gone through this thread quite abit the last two days. I am relatively new to all this. The above setup is being put together based on reviews, recommendations and posts from reliable/experienced members here and elsewhere.

On the topic of this Dap, I believe there are limitations as far as upgrades go. It seems the stock dap itself is pretty solid. Wondering if I will be all set with the above combo for some time.

Thank you in advance.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,075 of 3,711
Guys, I am looking to get the Zishan DSD ak4497s in the upcoming sale. The iems I have on my way to be paired with this dap is the dm6. Will probably add a balanced 3.5 mmcx pure copper 8 core cable to this setup.

I have gone through this thread quite abit the last two days. I am relatively new to all this. The above setup is being put together based on reviews, recommendations and posts from reliable/experienced members here and elsewhere.

On the topic of this Dap, I believe there are limitations as far as upgrades go. It seems the stock dap itself is pretty solid. Wondering if I will be all set with the above combo for some time.

Thank you in advance.

If you want to use the Balanced output of the DSD, driven by the two OP275 op-amps in the Low Pass Filter, you'll need a cable to plug into the 2.5mm TRRS jack, since the 3.5mm TRS jack is the Single-Ended output.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,076 of 3,711

Thank you in advance.
i'm afraid Zishan DSD AK4497 is not the best pairing with a low impedance (19.8Ω, DM6) multiBA iem, due to the high output impedance of zishan. you'll get significant tonal alterations, specially in highs.
and, if zishan DSD uses coupling caps (output), you'll also get bass roll-off.
better look for a DAP with very low output impedance if you plan to pair it with multiBA iems.
for example, i'd recently purchased xduoo x20, and installed rockbox (which uses to be a must for me). similar price, also balanced output available, DAC capability, and way lower output impedance. noise and distortion are very good. battery lasting is not so great, though (fixed with an small powerbank). i only use zishan with headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,077 of 3,711
i'm afraid Zishan DSD AK4497 is not the best pairing with a low impedance (19.8Ω, DM6) multiBA iem, due to the high output impedance of zishan. you'll get significant tonal alterations, specially in highs.
and, if zishan DSD uses decoupling caps (output), you'll also get bass roll-off.
better look for a DAP with very low output impedance if you plan to pair it with multiBA iems.
for example, i'd recently purchased xduoo x20, and installed rockbox (which uses to be a must for me). similar price, also balanced output available, DAC capability, and way lower output impedance. noise and distortion are very good. battery lasting is not so great, though (fixed with an small powerbank). i only use zishan with headphones.
I actually have the DM6 and it sounds very good with the Zishan DSD both balanced and single ended (Muses02). Open, big, luscious.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,078 of 3,711
I actually have the DM6 and it sounds very good with the Zishan DSD both balanced and single ended (Muses02). Open, big, luscious.
it might sounds good to you, but DM6 isn't sounding as it should. tonal alterations from average DM6.
you can check what a source with 100Ω output impedance (walnut v2) does when paired with single BA or multi-BA low impedance iems:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107087
guess new zishan is 22Ω, so alteration won't be so drastic, but still huge. DM6 is 5xBA, 19.8Ω. pai audio MR3 (in the sample) is 3xBA and 30Ω.

if new zishan dsd uses similar coupling caps than old zishan dsd, check bass roll-off here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107744
you can notice that treble alteration is minimal in this case, because old stock zishan output impedance is only 0.22Ω.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,079 of 3,711
it might sounds good to you, but DM6 isn't sounding as it should. tonal alterations from average DM6.
you can check what a source with 100Ω output impedance (walnut v2) does when paired with single BA or multi-BA low impedance iems:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107087
guess new zishan is 22Ω, so alteration won't be so drastic, but still huge. DM6 is 5xBA, 19.8Ω. pai audio MR3 (in the sample) is 3xBA and 30Ω.

if new zishan dsd uses similar decoupling caps than old zishan dsd, check bass roll-off here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-10#post-13107744
you can notice that treble alteration is minimal in this case, because old stock zishan output impedance is only 0.22Ω.
Your information is good, and correct. No arguments there. I was just saying that the DM6 sounds good out of this player, whether or not there is bass roll off, or pushes the highs out (which I don’t really notice). I have several other IEMs and headphones and earbuds and I have favorites for every player I have. Technical reasons aside, that’s how I make my final judgement, by what I hear. If I don’t like the synergy between two pieces of audio equipment, I just don’t pair them together. Graphs won’t make me not pair them together.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,080 of 3,711
and, if zishan DSD uses decoupling caps (output), you'll also get bass roll-off.
Can the caps be changed so bass doesn't roll off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back