The Zishan dsd's corner
Jul 8, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #871 of 3,711
I don't know what the specific output rating of the DSD is (Single-Ended or Balanced), but I don't think it's too much less than the other DAPs. I've found that a level of 15-20, out of 31, is plenty loud for any of the earbuds or earphones that I've tried. One thing that I think is true about all of the Walnut and Zishan DAPs and Amps, is that they have an output impedance of ~100Ω - so the sound of some earphones may be affected.
Since the DSD is two circuit boards, inside a one piece housing, with end caps - it's not as easy to open and swap op-amps, as the other Zishan DAPs.
To swap the op-amp, you have to remove the two screws from each end, and then slide the two circuit boards & battery out of the case.
Then you have to unplug the two boards from each other, being careful not to dislodge or damage the display.
The op-amp socket is between the boards, so replacement op-amps can't be very much taller than a standard DIP-8 op-amp.
You'll need a good microfiber or lens cleaning cloth, to wipe any fingerprints off the display and glass cover, before reassembling the DSD.
Even considering the Cons listed in the post above, I do think the DSD really does sound good, as a DAP, and as a DAC. But, if your earphones are the multi-Balanced Armature type, which are more likely to be affected by an amp with a high output impedance, then for Balanced connected earphones - the M3s may be the better deal; or the N3 may be better for Single-Ended connected earphones.
Here's a Russian review of the 4495 version. The videos show him opening the unit up. https://www.ixbt.com/live/digs/obzor-zishan-dsd---pleer-materogo-audiofila.html

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #873 of 3,711
Jul 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #876 of 3,711
Jul 9, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #878 of 3,711

I don't know what the specific output rating of the DSD is (Single-Ended or Balanced), but I don't think it's too much less than the other DAPs. I've found that a level of 15-20, out of 31, is plenty loud for any of the earbuds or earphones that I've tried. One thing that I think is true about all of the Walnut and Zishan DAPs and Amps, is that they have an output impedance of ~100Ω - so the sound of some earphones may be affected.

Since the DSD is two circuit boards, inside a one piece housing, with end caps - it's not as easy to open and swap op-amps, as the other Zishan DAPs.

To swap the op-amp, you have to remove the two screws from each end, and then slide the two circuit boards & battery out of the case.

Then you have to unplug the two boards from each other, being careful not to dislodge or damage the display.

The op-amp socket is between the boards, so replacement op-amps can't be very much taller than a standard DIP-8 op-amp.

You'll need a good microfiber or lens cleaning cloth, to wipe any fingerprints off the display and glass cover, before reassembling the DSD.

Even considering the Cons listed in the post above, I do think the DSD really does sound good, as a DAP, and as a DAC. But, if your earphones are the multi-Balanced Armature type, which are more likely to be affected by an amp with a high output impedance, then for Balanced connected earphones - the M3s may be the better deal; or the N3 may be better for Single-Ended connected earphones.

I guess I will skip the Zishan then, all my gear is rated below the 50ohm.

Thank you so much much :smile_phones:

Edit: I forgot to quote you

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #885 of 3,711
I just had a message here on Head-Fi, from a user who's modding his DSD, and the series resistors between the outputs of the OP275 op-amps and the 2.5mm TRRS jack, are 22Ω.
He said that there are also 22Ω resistors between the socketed op-amp and the 3.5mm TRS jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back