The Zishan dsd's corner
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #1,982 of 3,711
All Zishans are stereo capable only.
Neither can decode any multichannel formats (PCM or DSD) and all DSD Zishans firmware is exactly the same (it automatically detects which DAC is connected).

Yes but the chip is designed to carry 8 channels so it should play the files. Unless Zishan has restricted it but I doubt it. But could be wrong

System Extensibility
2ch/4ch/6ch/8ch lineups provide best sound solution for the system. The digital input supports TDM (Time Division), realizing daisy chain connection. A multichannel playback system such as AV surround receivers and audio interfaces can be easily designed with these premium DACs.

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4458VN&link_id=link777

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,983 of 3,711
Yes but the chip is designed to carry 8 channels so it should play the files. Unless Zishan has restricted it but I doubt it. But could be wrong

System Extensibility
2ch/4ch/6ch/8ch lineups provide best sound solution for the system. The digital input supports TDM (Time Division), realizing daisy chain connection. A multichannel playback system such as AV surround receivers and audio interfaces can be easily designed with these premium DACs.

Updated: No I stand corrected it’s the Ak4454 that has the 4 chnallecand Ak4456 has 6 etc

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4458VN&link_id=link777

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,985 of 3,711
The BrownDog 970601B Adapter (Single SOIC-8 to DIP-8 header) has short pins, without shoulders, so it will sit low enough to fit in the DSD.
I contacted Cimarron Technology, and found that they have specialty pins without the shoulder, that will fit the BrownDog 020302 Adapter (Dual SOIC-8 to DIP-8 header).
After taking an Exacto knife, and scraping away some of the plastic on the inside edges of the socket (making clearance for the chip on the bottom of the adapter), the "Short" 020302 adapter will sit low enough in the socket, so that it isn't any taller than a standard DIP-8 op-amp.
The Z1, Z2, and V2s will hold a TO-9 type can, or a Burson V5i - with their top installed.
If a low profile socket was installed, they may hold a Sparkos SS3602
Due to the design (two stacked circuit boards, with the op-amp socket between them - and the circuit board / battery assembly having to be slid in from one end, rather than just taking a top off), the DSD is not as easy to try mods for tweaking the sound.
According to @Ivan TT - upgrading the low voltage regulators for the digital circuits makes a noticable improvement in the high frequency sound of the DSD.
Personally, I think that better quality (higher contact force) output jacks would be a good upgrade, for long term reliability. The 3.5mm jack on mine is already getting a bit flaky.

“Personally, I think that better quality (higher contact force) output jacks would be a good upgrade, for long term reliability. The 3.5mm jack on mine is already getting a bit flaky.”

You are correct. I have a ground noise isolator and I plug it into the 3.5 and it’s better with a more focused sound!

Really simple mod to replace it and make it sound better or just get the ground loop noise isolator. The 3.5 stock isn’t of great quality so it makes sense that it would create noise.

I got one with for the 2.5 but the pins don’t line up but I had “contact” problems too so I think your hunch is correct.

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019393MV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vlFDCbH0NM0A0

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #1,986 of 3,711
No I stand corrected you are right it’s the Ak4454 that has the 4 channel Ak4456 has 6 etc
Bro, PLEASE!
Can you make a post AFTER you did a research, as opposed to few sequential rapid fire posts expressing your guess, opinion, then finding information, than correcting yourself after finally finding correct information?
That will reduce informational noise significantly and will be very considerate of you and respectful to other participants, I believe.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,987 of 3,711
Bro, PLEASE!
Can you make a post AFTER you did a research, as opposed to few sequential rapid fire posts expressing your guess, opinion, then finding information, than correcting yourself after finally finding correct information?
That will reduce informational noise significantly and will be very considerate of you and respectful to other participants, I believe.

Yes I’m sorry I’m just getting use to the forum stuff so Theres no delete button that I know of but I’ll make sure not to touch the third rail again.

The internet is a dogmatic document etched in stone with no mistakes. But If you make a mistake there’s charity for that. Got it.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #1,988 of 3,711
“Due to catastrophic failure (human error, human is me) currently have stock 5V LDO and reduced capaictance on VFREF. Bass took a hit (in a bad way), TPS73250 rocks (ordered, awaiting delivery)“

How do you know it “rocks” when you are waiting for it. Please try it before you make such logical leaps before modding into the board since it’s theoretical.

I am however taking donations if there is ”castastropic failure” to the Zishan Dac :p

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #1,989 of 3,711
“Due to catastrophic failure (human error, human is me) currently have stock 5V LDO and reduced capaictance on VFREF. Bass took a hit (in a bad way), TPS73250 rocks (ordered, awaiting delivery)“

How do you know it “rocks” when you are waiting for it. Please try it before you make such logical leaps before modding into the board since it’s theoretical.

I am taking however taking donations :p
I replaced stock 5V LDO with TPS73250, which was damaged during the catastrophic failure accident, subsequently replaced by the stock one as I still had it handy while I am awaiting for replacement TPS73250 to arrive.
This is how I know.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,990 of 3,711
I replaced stock 5V LDO with TPS73250, which was damaged during the catastrophic failure accident, subsequently replaced by the stock one as I still had it handy while I am awaiting for replacement TPS73250 to arrive.
This is how I know.

Oh ok cool. I'm justing thinking getting voltage regular soic8s and would love to change the buck booster converters but I'd probably just start with the processors and the 3.5 mm.

I'm not look for great improvements in the sound with the power supply changes just want to make the board more healthy.

I have actually thought about with the improved converters I can try an external micro USB to usb -C converter. It's something you connect to the output.

Honestly, I don't think it was wise to have removed the stock power caps. You should try putting genuine ones. They probably suck but its a requirement of the board someone had mentioned on this thread. Just my opinion though.

Also how does it ”sound great” when the bass took a major blow?

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #1,991 of 3,711
Yes the noise loop isolator are used for interference from two different power sources so if you messed with the power supply voltage regulators and relay it would explain “ground” problems.

I used it as a way to see if there was interference in the sound.

Ground noise in an output can also occur from a faulty 3.5mm or run direct lines into them. Just my opinion though it might be better to change all the voltage regulators then complain about noise in the ground I can’t figure out why, right?

Isn’t it wiser to make simpler mods than work on the voltage regulators and rip out the power caps and running lines directly into the output bypassing the boards path first if it’s faulty 3.5mm? If you are wrong what happens? Nothing haha

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,992 of 3,711
@Ivan TT I’m no electrician but I’ve been around buildings all over NYC in my experience the lazy electricians just run new lines into the walls. The good ones pull the old lines and have a concise diagram of all the lines. And every once in a while a city block theres an explosion or wires burn an melt and melt on others.

If you gonna experiment like this you should first practice on an experimental board first. Just a suggestion but again I’m enjoying your changelogs so I know what works and doesn’t saves time and money for me. :)

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,993 of 3,711
@HeyManslowdown97
Apologies, but I struggle to say anything in response to your musings as they are mostly based on factually incorrect and flawed assumptions, and I simply don’t have time or energy for this, especially when it’s a rapid-fire posting spree.
I have only one advise, which you are free to accept or disregard altogether: please insure that your assumptions are based on actual knowledge and facts if you want my to contribute by taking time to reply.
And please if possible can you moderate the density and frequency of those musings of your’s if possible, as they high-Jack this tread and discussion (in my opinion, please take no offence, nothing personal).
Ups, make it two (advises that is)
Peace!

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,994 of 3,711
“Excess sibilance can be caused by compression, microphone choice and technique, and even simply the way a person's mouth anatomy is shaped. Ess sound frequencies can be irritating to the ear, especially with earbuds or headphones, and interfere with an otherwise modulated and pleasant audio stream.”

I was a music major in college and studied voice. Sibilance occurs because of poor technique but if someone says three songs sound great and he likes the Idiosyncrasy of different records of track recorded on different days and then complains about the imperfection of the vocals because my his other systems wherenot picking up those frequency then it’s not the Zishan; it’s the recording of the vocals.

Also keep in mind the records were formatted on different mediums if it’s an old recording then digital remastered.

Only singers with properly trained technique have the skills to work on the necessary imperfection but even they have bad days because it’s very demanding to sing as Great as Pavarotti or Renee Fleming.

But apparently there are Magna Carta recordings with Pavarottis with very little post production with perfect room correction and the transients in the vocals is down with magic and fairies.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,995 of 3,711
@HeyManslowdown97
Apologies, but I struggle to say anything in response to your musings as they are mostly based on factually incorrect and flawed assumptions, and I simply don’t have time or energy for this, especially when it’s a rapid-fire posting spree.
I have only one advise, which you are free to accept or disregard altogether: please insure that your assumptions are based on actual knowledge and facts if you want my to contribute by taking time to reply.
And please if possible can you moderate the density and frequency of those musings of your’s if possible, as they high-Jack this tread and discussion (in my opinion, please take no offence, nothing personal).
Peace!
@HeyManslowdown97
Peace!
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back