The Zishan dsd's corner
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,951 of 3,711
They are called digital filters, because they perform mathematical operations to change the sound, but the name is not important, let's just say I don't use them. I also like to listen to some "artifacts" in recordings, like sometimes identifying the tracks because they were recorded separated and later mixed and many others, but I don't want to remove those or add more.

Bro they did that on the sound boards back in the day. The most famous vocal compression on a soundboard is the famous
1176 CLASSIC LIMITER!

algorithms have been used for centuries way before digital. It’s just a sequence of steps. A math equations is an algorithm.

Also you are converting digital binary numbers pure data into analogue. So essentially you are using digital algorithms not to mention that even the AK4497 on the Zishan has digital filters. Would would be is if they went up to 608 cut off for dsd playback it would be interesting to have great headphones with low impedience to power those frequencies up to hear a longer soundscape.

I won’t argue with you on a limited beliefs. I’ve leerned for experience people will believe in “Fake News” as long as fits they self narratives even when information is present that contradicts their cognitive dissonance.

Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #1,952 of 3,711
Doesn't mean I have to like digital filters in acoustic music, as I said I'm listening to acoustic instruments not synthesized ones and I hate when singers with less voice, have to put digital filters in their voices. BTW I think the digital filters in DACs and DACs themselves are limitations to reproduce the original analog signals, but i'm not fundamentalist, I'm not against digital filters, I just prefer not to use them by choice when I can.

It makes more sense to tune a device not to have sibilance, instead of processing all potential future music with a digital filter.

I believe in what I experienced (includes using digital filters) and choosing what I like best for me. :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,953 of 3,711
Doesn't mean I have to like digital filters in acoustic music, as I said I'm listening to acoustic instruments not synthesized ones and I hate when singers with less voice, have to put digital filters in their voices. BTW I think the digital filters in DACs and DACs themselves are limitations to reproduce the original analog signals, but i'm not fundamentalist, I'm not against digital filters, I just prefer not to use them by choice when I can.

I believe in what I experienced (includes using digital filters) and choosing what I like best for me. :)

You are not going recreate the date and time of time recording as If you were there while at the same looking for a perfect representation of the recording. The recording is etched in stone unless they outsource the masters to the masses that have restoration software you will stuck with what they give you. Then you would see the DIY-ers will skills bring them to life using digital post production software.

Technology is always getting better/improving just not people cling one to their limited beliefs becuase of their fearfulness of change and uncertainty.

Beliefs are often personal preferences not facts.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,954 of 3,711
Signal processing is used to change a signal that needs to be changed because something is wrong with it.
When possible I prefer to have the original signal in good condition without need for filters, if that is possible.
If it's not possible I could use a filter. I've tried many digital filters that don't destroy the sound, but I just don't need any right now.

Once again I'm not the one saying what you should do.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,955 of 3,711
Signal processing is used to change a signal that needs to be changed because something is wrong with it.
When possible I prefer to have the original signal in good condition without need for filters, if that is possible.
If it's not possible I could use a filter. I've tried many digital filters that don't destroy the sound, but I just don't need any right now.

Once again I'm not the one saying what you should do.

Nor I’m I but you are the inertia to the argument. :)

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,957 of 3,711
The personal attacks don't reply to my arguments.

no personal attacks only a disagreemen and penchant to want to be right.

I have a cheap option to reduce noise; A Ground Loop isolator. It’s worth a shot!

I have one running through my Zishan and works great!

@Merlin-PT if I offended you then I apologize. There’s no debate here. It settled science.

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019393MV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fWyDCb54SB3QV

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #1,962 of 3,711
The bottom line is I'm tunnig the analog part in my zishan to remove the sibilance, instead of running a digital filter to remove sibilance from potential files. This was the argument, nothing more.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,963 of 3,711
The bottom line is I'm tunnig the analog part in my zishan to remove the sibilance, instead of running a digital filter to remove sibilance from potential files. This was the argument, nothing more.

It will still be there and drive you crazy. And besides I didn’t say digital filter (those are your words) what I said is going into the file and seeing the frequency and eliminating them or lowering them. (See video below for reference) A recording is NOT an exact representation of what was recorded. It’s like having a vinyl player and trying to fix the vinyl player and not the scratch on the vinyl Aka medium.

You have to keep in mind that a recording isn’t representation not the real thing and how it actually sounded when it was first recorded. (I’ve tried to explain this fact to you many times)

It’s not platonic in nature and has flaws and it’s only when the filters are applied and chosen by the enigeers and artists like photoshop is to RAW photos. Ideally you want the proper condition so you don’t have to fix much in post but there’s ALWAYS processing.

Now if witnessing sibilance on EVERYTHING you are listening to then it’s a hardware problem and you are correct.

But the Again this is coming from a guy who put jewelry wire into his Zishan.

Btw, a nail or a paper clip probably would not work since the majority aren’t made from a conductive Metal like coppper or silver.

Merlin- why not try both ways making a copy of the original and process it and then do your way and see what works. (You got nothing to lose and everything to gain) One or all of the paths will get you to your destination.

Beside if my way works I got some bragging rights if you succeed :p

I’m look into changing the Dc voltage regulator with the Lt2621 a good choice?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,964 of 3,711
I call them digital filters, because they work in the digital domain, they are math functions running in a cpu and processing digital sound, it's not a depreciative term, they are very useful, I have nothing against them.
Maybe it's only called digital sound processing?

I don't doubt the de-esser works and I even think it can sound good. I told I already knew about them.
Let's focus on zishan and try to avoid more offtopic.

I'm avoiding changing the voltage converter, because any mistake there can bring the voltage very high and fry the power capacitors and the opamps. For now I don't think I'm messing with that.

I think the best impact mods are the sound input/output capacitors and the opamps.
I don't think you'll be missing much, if only doing those mods.
If you happy with the mods you have in DSD, just close the case and enjoy. :)
You said you had some kind of shutdown problem?

If you got the bug for more mods, maybe another player like Z2 or the new ak4493 zishan Z3.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,965 of 3,711
I call them digital filters, because they work in the digital domain, they are math functions running in a cpu and processing digital sound, it's not a depreciative term, they are very useful, I have nothing against them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_filter
I don't doubt the de-esser works and I even think it can sound good. I told I already knew about them.
Let's focus on zishan and try to avoid more offtopic.

I'm avoiding changing the voltage converter, because any mistake there can bring the voltage very high and fry the power capacitors and the opamps. For now I don't think I'm messing with that.

I think the best impact mods are the sound input/output capacitors and the opamps.
I don't think you'll be missing much, if only doing those mods.
If you happy with the mods you have in DSD, just close the case and enjoy. :)
You said you had some kind of shutdown problem?

If you got the bug for more mods, maybe another player like Z2 or the new ak4493 zishan Z3.

But you do have a problem with digital filters because your refusal to use them from potential flawed files and trying to fix a problem with the player with hardware filters???

Fair enough but why be litigious with definitions to prove a logical argument to how music is produced? *That's like isolate ”trade Deficits” at face value not understand why they occur and how they effect a particular economy.

Here’s how the music production works:

Production (ideal environment) then Post-Production clean up imperfections included in live performances then mix and master and release the record.

(Off topic Metaphors were used because of your love for Platonic perfection. Any human endeavor like a recording is an artifact and involves manipulation.)

Again If it’s a hardware problem in the high frequency it probably lies in the Voltage regulators andc of all things are equal theoretically there should be not sibilance on the board. Perhaps a less risky move would be to change your 3.5mm.

Not a problem with the shut down it was the battery terminals touch because i have my Zishan out.

I will actually be closing my Zishan but right now I have two Dip8s on an adapter I have just ordered an op amp Soics to be put on an adapter so I can close the board.

I’ve happy with the sound and have achieved my sweet spot. However, I didn’t to address the voltage regulators. If it blows up then it’s the boards imperfections not going through adequate western standard quality control especially if the voltage regulators are genuine parts. That’s ok I’ll just take the chip out and build on from scratch.

I got another DSD coming in the mail for A/B testing not asking for your donations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back