The Zebra Wood Headphones?
Sep 12, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #46 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put mines up for sale. Wanted to put a pair of SR60 drivers in them and now I can't find the drivers.

$60 priority.

That's ok - Grado drivers sound terrible in closed, circum-aural earcups.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #47 of 115
I'm not familiar with the dimensions but would a Stax Lambda style pad match close enough to retrofit the pad onto the housing?

And I have agree, these look decent for $70. Very interested to see what you guys can do with it.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #48 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the dimensions but would a Stax Lambda style pad match close enough to retrofit the pad onto the housing?

And I have agree, these look decent for $70. Very interested to see what you guys can do with it.

They might - trouble is lambda pads will run you $50/pr, unless you live in japan.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #50 of 115
For Canadians the $59.95 translates to $59.95 + $12.95 + $15.95 + $60.00 or more for duty and surcharges = $150.00+ - definitely NOT worth the effort!!

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They might - trouble is lambda pads will run you $50/pr, unless you live in japan.

ok never mind then. Sponges? a la the duck sponge grado mod?

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #52 of 115
We want something that seals. Foam by itself is probably the worst at doing something like that. You could try cutting open the stock pads, taking out the stock foam, putting your own in, and stitching them back up or something. Would take a lot of work and look and feel bad if not done right.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #53 of 115
Get a pair of used leather pants from the local thrift store and have a seamstress sew new pads to match the stock pads. You can try different thicknesses and densitites of foam with a Velcro back. I was going to do this with my Pioneer SE305's but ended up modifying a set of Denon earpads instead.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #55 of 115
There isn't really anything special about these headphones apart from the cups and padding being of decent quality materials. The sound isn't anything to die for. Of course, it's better than 95% of things that most people hear, but stock, nothing special. I'm dying to open it up and dampen it. After about a day, the bass is still fuzzy, and detail isn't anything special. I do like the way they smell though.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #56 of 115
My set arrived yesterday. No chance to listen to them yet as i got dragged to a baseball game instead.

Lambda pads aren't going to be an option. Lambdas are far bigger than these.

Also, while the box looks like reasonable quality for veneer over pressboard, the insert that the headphones are fit into is ponderously, curiously lame.

I'm sure most of us were envisioning a sculpted block of foam rubber with some reasonable fabric over it.

Turns out to be a chunk of cardboard and the cheapest shiny fabric known to man. My mother occasionally worked as a dressmaker when i was a kid, and I can tell you for sure - you can't get a shiny fabric cheaper than this stuff. "Silk" it is not.

Edit: Chiffon? I think that's what it's called. I remember when i was about 13, some stupid girl provided entire bolts of the stuff for her bridesmaids dresses, and it was so flimsy that the sewing machine (a TOTL bernina) sometimes tore it. iirc she refused to work with that grade of fabric after that.

This seems like a corner that was not necessary to cut for the original $200 price point.

I didn't spot any visible glue under the earpads, but i really didn't have time to examine them.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #57 of 115
You'll have to tell us how crappy they are!
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #58 of 115
Well there doesn't appear to be anything seriously wrong with the workmanship of the headphones themselves.

I was just a little surprised when i went to lift the headphones out of the box and the box came with them.

It didn't really say "quality" to me.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #59 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It didn't really say "quality" to me.

"...but they are $200 retail..."
redface.gif

Wow, I wouldn't pay $30 for those... I guess we learned not to buy
headphones from an 'unknown' brand named: Hammacher 'Slammacher'
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #60 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"...but they are $200 retail..."
redface.gif

Wow, I wouldn't pay $30 for those... I guess we learned not to buy
headphones from an 'unknown' brand named: Hammacher 'Slammacher'
wink.gif

Hammacher isn't unknown, they're actually quite well known. Just not as a headphone company :p. These are also OEMed, made by Wesonic. IMO, these get a 3/5 value. $72 is pushing it for me. But $30? Don't be daft; the build quality on the headphones is quite excellent and the box is nice (not the packaging, there's a difference). For $50, these would be decent if you prefer a darker sound than a KSC75. After ~55 hours of my burn in playlist, they have muddy bass, but not overwhelming. The sloppiness continues into the lower mids, but doesn't get distracting. The overall sound signature is satisfying, especially if you need isolation and don't want to leak sound, especially at that price. They're also very comfy, and they look quite classy.

I'm not a big fan of closed cans that sound closed. These, unfortunately, sound very compressed, I'm just so used to my MS-1i's and my most recently owned closed cans, the DT150's, beat the snot out of these.

These are just impressions and I don't plan on giving a full review, but if you're interested in something for <100 that looks nice, sounds decent, and is comfy, these get a decent buy value, especially for the box they come in (not the stuff inside of it, but the box is nice) and for the exceptional build quality and materials used. Personally, I don't really need these, so I'll be putting these up for trade. If not, then I'll take 'em apart and mod them as best as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back