The Zebra Wood Headphones?
Sep 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #31 of 115
The box is okay, but feels like it's made of pressed wood. The "silk" lining is polyester. I don't especially like the sound signature of these, way too closed.

The sound of these is not worth $70 IMO. Bass is poorly defined, mids are recessed, very little detail retrieval. The only thing that justifies the price, for me, are the materials used. Of course, this is coming from somebody's who's been using solely open cans for a while.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #32 of 115
I wonder if they could be a good home for Fostex T50RP drivers, with some slight modifications.

The T50RP is a closed/vented design. Could be as simple as drilling a couple vent holes in the wood and damping properly.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #33 of 115
Been burning in for about two hours now. Mids and details still MIA but tone is quite enjoyable. Bass has improved but needs a good seal which may be impossible with these pads. Very stiff foam that may never conform to the shape of your head. I may pry it apart just to put in memory foam.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #34 of 115
That's not a good sign.

I wonder if lambda pads fit. Not that lambda pads are affordable.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 115
Here's a few more pics if I can get them to work:

Attachment 20702

Attachment 20703

Attachment 20704

Attachment 20705

Attachment 20706

Attachment 20707

Attachment 20708

Attachment 20709

I agree with what's been said for the most part. I will be the first to tell you, I'm not an audiophile, I'm simply a music lover. I am also firmly entrenched in low to mid-fi and I've had many enjoyable cans under $100. The materials and presentation of these is better than any other under $100 phone, but the sound isn't. I still say that if you are like me and you just want to hear your music and aren't used to $500+ rigs, I think they sound enjoyable enough. I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing what people are able to do with them.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #36 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They seem to make novelty phones and items - check out their earmuff headphones:
The Ear Muff Headphones at Hammacher Schlemmer

I have those earmuff headphones, but I don't think they are made by the same company. 180s is a company that makes earmuffs and gloves and hats and stuff. I guess they teamed up with JVC to put drivers into their earmuffs.

For the price and the fact that they are enclosed in earmuffs (which would run you $20 alone) I think they are pretty darn good. The sound is not bad (significantly better than generic buds or the $10 Sony pair I had) and the design is great - they're nice and warm, very comfy, and have a sort of stretchy band that fits snugly around the back of your head. The cable is detachable and the plug tucks away so you can use them as plain earmuffs.

I guess I should add them to my sig... "Portable for sub-zero walking/commuting:"

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJDyn0mite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a few more pics if I can get them to work:

Attachment 20702

Attachment 20703

Attachment 20704

That's the box it CAME in? It looks more expensive than the headphones!

I've never tried DIY, and I doubt I ever will beyond something like adding/removing foam, but maybe I'll buy these just for the box
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 115
The box is definitely decent, certainly not the highest quality wood, but better than what you'll find 99% of other headphones coming in. I'm thinking it will make a great case for my HF2's when they arrive, I'll just do a foam transplant from the pizza box.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #40 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if they could be a good home for Fostex T50RP drivers, with some slight modifications.

The T50RP is a closed/vented design. Could be as simple as drilling a couple vent holes in the wood and damping properly.

I thought that the T50RP is an open design. The T40RP is the dedicated closed design.

Unless you're talking about the old school Fostex's... Man! I need to get my hands on one of those. Heard a friends, but haven't found any for a reasonable price.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #41 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the T50RP is an open design. The T40RP is the dedicated closed design.

Unless you're talking about the old school Fostex's... Man! I need to get my hands on one of those. Heard a friends, but haven't found any for a reasonable price.

The old T50 is a fully open design.

T50RP bears no resemblance to the old T50. It's closer to a T20.

The T20 has two little vent patches. On the T40, both of those are blocked up. On the T50, one of them is blocked up.

The T50RP driver is tiny, however, and needs pads that give an excellent seal - so the stiff pads are of some serious concern.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #42 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old T50 is a fully open design.

T50RP bears no resemblance to the old T50. It's closer to a T20.

The T20 has two little vent patches. On the T40, both of those are blocked up. On the T50, one of them is blocked up.

The T50RP driver is tiny, however, and needs pads that give an excellent seal - so the stiff pads are of some serious concern.

I didn't like the T40RPmkII driver much. I'd personally go for an SFI 120ohm. Why waste a perfectly good headphone? Just transplant drivers without butchering another pair. Although using an SFI would require good venting of the cups.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #43 of 115
I would classify the T50RP's (new version)as semi-open. The resonance cup is closed except for a screened slotted open vent area about 1.25" by 1.25" just below center rear to the driver. I've been inside as I have dynamated the closed portion and recabled mine to balanced.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #44 of 115
I don't actually own a T50RP, and didn't really love faust2d's modded T50RP - though F2D and i certainly have differing objectives when we damp an ortho.

The old T40 driver may work in these as well, except that it might be impossible to install one without a great deal of difficulty.

I also have T30's, but i think they would do better in an open design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back