The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #991 of 1,243

This is my first foam tip, never had Comply, too expensive for me regarding its durability. On the softer side, little bit reminds me of a sponge in its material haha.
biggrin.gif
Just with very micro holes on the surface.
After compression it gains back its shape in 2-3-4 seconds. That is kinda fast imo. So it's not that supercheap shiny textured, slow regenerating tip. Big plus for the silicone bore inside. Worth a try actually!
ksc75smile.gif

Edit: Wow, isolation is pretty bad and strange.. it's like being without anything in your ears, but still listening to music. Bass is nonexistent while commuting. In silent environment it's a pretty good upgrade btw, but not recommended at all for outdoor activities. Little letdown. 
rolleyes.gif

I just received several pairs of these, 2 pairs T400 type for Xiaomi, Sennheiser, Samsung etc and 2 pairs T100 type for my Shure SE215. I don't have any Comply tips for comparison but I do have original Shure foam tips and some EarphonesPlus foam tips.

These new tips are not really useful. Somehow the manufacturer has managed to choose a type of foam which has almost zero ability to block sound, so any earphone which relies on isolation and snug fit for its sound is unsuitable - that's most of them. This foam has similar insulating properties as air.

The size is very slightly narrower than the Shure mediums and about a millimetre shorter. At first glance they look the same but there are differences and they matter. The foam does expand but it's not as firm and springy as the Shures so while I get a really snug fit and superb isolation with the Shure tips, I get an ineffectual fit and lousy isolation with the ebay foams. The sound is thin and unpleasant with these cheap foams.

With the bigger foams on my Xiaomi Pistons and dual driver Samsungs it is a similar story but a bit more tolerable. The Xiaomis and Samsungs don't rely so much on isolation and/or a tight fit - the Xiaomis are semi-open and the Samsungs are ported. But still it's immediately apparent that isolation is less and that bass is a little reduced.

I don't think I'll be using my ebay foams again. I can't think they would be a good deal for anyone, despite the price. If you normally use small size tips and want less bass and less isolation than maybe these are for you. That isn't me.

I tried the real thing - Comply T-100 with GR07 - and I'm surprised at how poor the sound isolation is. I have some flights coming up so I'll have to make my own. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #992 of 1,243
Hey everyone just bought some Xiaomi Piston 2's (not sure if 2.0 or 2.1's) from the seller NiceShopHere on Amazon and I'm having some conflicting signs of authenticity the Left and Right markings are not painted but a boss of L,and R. (R having the small ring below). Though i did pop one of the buttons off of the volume control and they are the correct switches and the most suspicious thing about it all? it came with a pair of weird 3 step ear buds in the Large section while the other Small and Medium pairs seem authentic all seals on the box were intact as well. So did i get scammed by buying fake pistons? or is it just a case where things were mix and matched?

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #993 of 1,243
  Hey everyone just bought some Xiaomi Piston 2's (not sure if 2.0 or 2.1's) from the seller NiceShopHere on Amazon and I'm having some conflicting signs of authenticity the Left and Right markings are not painted but a boss of L,and R. (R having the small ring below). Though i did pop one of the buttons off of the volume control and they are the correct switches and the most suspicious thing about it all? it came with a pair of weird 3 step ear buds in the Large section while the other Small and Medium pairs seem authentic all seals on the box were intact as well. So did i get scammed by buying fake pistons? or is it just a case where things were mix and matched?

Those are actually the newest version. Did you buy the silver colour, or are those the gold? Because recent reports of the silver pairs show they've included tri-flange (what you call 3-step) eartips (not earbuds).

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #994 of 1,243
Oh weird i bought the gold pair. The instructions on the box are also different as well they have the unraveling instructions all on the center while both side panels show some type of Mic operation/instruction. I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find if there were any pictures showing a new type of box or tri flange eartips that are included and havent found anything, so i thought to myself maybe i should post up a question and see if anyone knows of anything, could help others with the same questions as well. 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #995 of 1,243
Oh weird i bought the gold pair. The instructions on the box are also different as well they have the unraveling instructions all on the center while both side panels show some type of Mic operation/instruction. I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find if there were any pictures showing a new type of box or tri flange eartips that are included and havent found anything, so i thought to myself maybe i should post up a question and see if anyone knows of anything, could help others with the same questions as well. :p

The unfolding box with info on inside of centre and left and right panels is normal. It doesn't mean you got real items, or that you got fake items. It's just normal Piston packaging (which of course can easily be copied).

Maybe you got real items. If you want to be sure then buy from an authorised retailer such as ibuygou.com. At US $15.99 with free shipping is it really worth hunting about for an unrealistically cheap deal on something that will sound horrible and also be worthless if not genuine?

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #996 of 1,243
The unfolding box with info on inside of centre and left and right panels is normal. It doesn't mean you got real items, or that you got fake items. It's just normal Piston packaging (which of course can easily be copied).

Maybe you got real items. If you want to be sure then buy from an authorised retailer such as ibuygou.com. At US $15.99 with free shipping is it really worth hunting about for an unrealistically cheap deal on something that will sound horrible and also be worthless if not genuine?

Cut him some slack; clearly he's uneducated on this topic, as is dozens of other people who come here asking "Hey, is this legit?" questions. They just don't seem to learn...
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,000 of 1,243
I got my Piston 2.1's from ibuygou. Took 3 weeks to get here and just bought another pair (couldn't pass them up for $16).

The sound quality is very good, especially after the mod where you remove the foam from under the grill. I would highly recommend this pair -- comparable to most mainstream sub-$100 IEMs.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,001 of 1,243
  I got my Piston 2.1's from ibuygou. Took 3 weeks to get here and just bought another pair (couldn't pass them up for $16).

The sound quality is very good, especially after the mod where you remove the foam from under the grill. I would highly recommend this pair -- probably the best sub-$100 IEMs.

This statement that I marked in bold....I don't know why a lot of people use it to describe the Pistons, but let me just get this out of the way that they are absolutely not the best sub-$100 IEMs.

Sub-$20, however, definitely.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,002 of 1,243
This statement that I marked in bold....I don't know why a lot of people use it to describe the Pistons, but let me just get this out of the way that they are absolutely not the best sub-$100 IEMs.

Sub-$20, however, definitely.

+lots

They are nice iems, but between 0-100 bucks, even a lowly slag like myself could name a few that are better, lol. I have the white Piston 2.1s btw, so this comment isn't wrought from inexperience.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,004 of 1,243
  I just went to  http://www.ibuygou.com to buy a pair and all I see is a commemorative edition for $30. Is there another reputable dealer that sells them for about $16 with free shipping?

thanks!

What are you talking about? They're right there:
http://www.ibuygou.com/categories/xiaomi-headphones-and-speakers-1.html

Huh, weird; their price went back up to $20.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,005 of 1,243
  What are you talking about? They're right there:
http://www.ibuygou.com/categories/xiaomi-headphones-and-speakers-1.html

Huh, weird; their price went back up to $20.

Huh, interesting... when I did a search for "Xiaomi Pistons" all it got was the $30 commemorative version. Thanks. $20 is close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back