The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Feb 17, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #977 of 1,243
  The Xiaomi Piston earphones on flipkart might actually be genuine. I see they are being sold by WS Retail, who is also the official seller of the Xiaomi Mi4, Xiaomi Mi3, Xiaomi Rednote on flipkart. Also, if we go to the Xiaomi India website and click on Mi4 Registration (which is open right now), it redirects to flipkart.

There's also 6 months of warranty if you buy it from flipkart.

Even then, we still can't prove it, and I still find Flipkart highly suspicious.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #979 of 1,243
Just arrived. I ordered my pair from amazon.it. I can say Cougar's C reseller has the original version.

I'm trying them out. Compared to the Sennheiser CX 300 ii these sounds with less bass frequencies, and valorize mid-high ranges. what i was looking for.
I'll test them out in the next week.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #980 of 1,243
  Just arrived. I ordered my pair from amazon.it. I can say Cougar's C reseller has the original version.

I'm trying them out. Compared to the Sennheiser CX 300 ii these sounds with less bass frequencies, and valorize mid-high ranges. what i was looking for.
I'll test them out in the next week.

Hey @XipeTotec,
Glad you like it! So I heard you're a friend of @DisCHORDDubstep? Yeah, I know the guy, too, but only through here. Never know him personally, but yeah.
Hope to seeyou hang around on Head-Fi. Also, sorry about your wallet.

beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #982 of 1,243
Bought these just for kicks and I gotta say, the sound quality is really surprising for a pair of earbuds in the sub-20 range. It compares well to my Klipsch R6i, which retail for about $100. That alone speaks volumes.

All-in-all, they're a great pair of earbuds for the money. If you have any doubts on whether or not you should buy these, just bite the bullet. 

If you don't like them, I'd be surprised (unless of course you got a fake).

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #983 of 1,243
After more than 100 hours of burn-in these headphones sound excellent. Bravo Xiaomi!

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #984 of 1,243
Came across these by accident; truth is that it's been a few years since I've used buds or canals with any sort of regularity. Someone did a highly favorable write-up on some tech site that I never heard of, but a quick glance over at Amazon showed a ton of glowing grades and reviews so I ordered a set. Showed up a couple of days ago; Amazon's Prime was anything but prime...late again.

Interesting packaging; hard to understand why anyone in their right mind would want to counterfeit this given the low price. I'd think that the 'chocolate biscuit' packaging alone would eat away at any meager profit that might be had, even in a place like China. I admit that right out of the box I initially wasn't impressed by the 2.0's sound. But quickly I realized that my problem was its fit and seal, or the lack thereof. The old press test of fingers to earpiece to improve the seal revealed a lot of good potential, but I needed to find better tips that actually fit and worked with my ears. Plus the earpiece housing actually HURT to wear; the provided tips allowed for minimal cushioning for me, and at the same time prohibited getting an adequate seal at the opening to my ear canals. Not nice. At all. Scabbed a pair of large double flange bits from an old Hifiman RE-0 whose sound signature I never warmed to. With the revamped configuration...the Piston's sonic performance was considerably better. Night vs day better. Totally better. Now I can fathom why people praise these Pistons.

It's a bitch getting older (the inevitable decline in hearing) so these days I honestly can't be too critical when it comes to discerning what qualifies as high fidelity. But with the better sealing tips installed I think I can at least get to liking these a lot...after they burn in some.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #985 of 1,243
Hello guys!

Tried a cheaper pair of foamies and they sound quite good for our Piston2! They have an inner plastic core, Comply T-400 size. Never had foam eartips, but they sound good imo. Little bit they tightened up the bass, and made midrange and treble better. Worths a try, ~2 bucks/pair!
etysmile.gif
 (I'll travel today and see if isolation is on pair with silicone tips) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pairs-5mm-Memory-Foam-Earbud-Tips-for-In-Ear-Earphones-Headphones-T-400-/161552622004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item259d4961b4

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #986 of 1,243
  Hello guys!

Tried a cheaper pair of foamies and they sound quite good for our Piston2! They have an inner plastic core, Comply T-400 size. Never had foam eartips, but they sound good imo. Little bit they tightened up the bass, and made midrange and treble better. Worths a try, ~2 bucks/pair!
etysmile.gif
 (I'll travel today and see if isolation is on pair with silicone tips) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pairs-5mm-Memory-Foam-Earbud-Tips-for-In-Ear-Earphones-Headphones-T-400-/161552622004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item259d4961b4

Do you have a comply to compare it to?  How does the foam compare - soft/hard? A good test would be to compress and time how long it takes to regain original shape. Please try that and report back when you have a moment.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #987 of 1,243
This is my first foam tip, never had Comply, too expensive for me regarding its durability. On the softer side, little bit reminds me of a sponge in its material haha. :D Just with very micro holes on the surface.
After compression it gains back its shape in 2-3-4 seconds. That is kinda fast imo. So it's not that supercheap shiny textured, slow regenerating tip. Big plus for the silicone bore inside. Worth a try actually!
ksc75smile.gif

Edit: Wow, isolation is pretty bad and strange.. it's like being without anything in your ears, but still listening to music. Bass is nonexistent while commuting. In silent environment it's a pretty good upgrade btw, but not recommended at all for outdoor activities. Little letdown. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #990 of 1,243
This is my first foam tip, never had Comply, too expensive for me regarding its durability. On the softer side, little bit reminds me of a sponge in its material haha. :D Just with very micro holes on the surface.
After compression it gains back its shape in 2-3-4 seconds. That is kinda fast imo. So it's not that supercheap shiny textured, slow regenerating tip. Big plus for the silicone bore inside. Worth a try actually! :ksc75smile:  

Edit: Wow, isolation is pretty bad and strange.. it's like being without anything in your ears, but still listening to music. Bass is nonexistent while commuting. In silent environment it's a pretty good upgrade btw, but not recommended at all for outdoor activities. Little letdown. :rolleyes:

I just received several pairs of these, 2 pairs T400 type for Xiaomi, Sennheiser, Samsung etc and 2 pairs T100 type for my Shure SE215. I don't have any Comply tips for comparison but I do have original Shure foam tips and some EarphonesPlus foam tips.

These new tips are not really useful. Somehow the manufacturer has managed to choose a type of foam which has almost zero ability to block sound, so any earphone which relies on isolation and snug fit for its sound is unsuitable - that's most of them. This foam has similar insulating properties as air.

The size is very slightly narrower than the Shure mediums and about a millimetre shorter. At first glance they look the same but there are differences and they matter. The foam does expand but it's not as firm and springy as the Shures so while I get a really snug fit and superb isolation with the Shure tips, I get an ineffectual fit and lousy isolation with the ebay foams. The sound is thin and unpleasant with these cheap foams.

With the bigger foams on my Xiaomi Pistons and dual driver Samsungs it is a similar story but a bit more tolerable. The Xiaomis and Samsungs don't rely so much on isolation and/or a tight fit - the Xiaomis are semi-open and the Samsungs are ported. But still it's immediately apparent that isolation is less and that bass is a little reduced.

I don't think I'll be using my ebay foams again. I can't think they would be a good deal for anyone, despite the price. If you normally use small size tips and want less bass and less isolation than maybe these are for you. That isn't me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back