The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Feb 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #946 of 1,243
does anyone know where i can get Pistons replacement ear tips?  i've tried googling and amazon'ing and ebay'ing and all that.  i find "replacements", but i want to be sure they are exactly the same.  i have tons of silicone tips from various iem's that are similar, but not quite as soft and flimsy are the ones that came with my pistons.  and for some reason, i like the flimsy floppy piston tips over all other's i've tried.  if anyone knows where i can order some, or can recommend some that are just as floppy/flimsy, i would appreciate it. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #947 of 1,243
Just a quick question. I received my upgraded Piston 2.1's, and whilst they sound good and look genuine (bought from ibuygou), I have the feeling the bass isn't as detailed as before, same goes for the mids and highs and they don't extend as much as my previous pair.

On top of that, the rubber case doesn't smell like "chocolate" like the previous one did but more like plastic/rubber. They they change anything or is my memory just letting me down?

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #950 of 1,243
  does anyone know where i can get Pistons replacement ear tips?  i've tried googling and amazon'ing and ebay'ing and all that.  i find "replacements", but i want to be sure they are exactly the same.  i have tons of silicone tips from various iem's that are similar, but not quite as soft and flimsy are the ones that came with my pistons.  and for some reason, i like the flimsy floppy piston tips over all other's i've tried.  if anyone knows where i can order some, or can recommend some that are just as floppy/flimsy, i would appreciate it. 

somebody answer me or i will report you and you'll regret it.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #951 of 1,243

somebody answer me or i will report you and you'll regret it.

What size do you need? Most people - the majority - only need one size - the S, M or L.  Others - probably fewer than 10% use a mix of sizes because of variation between their ear canals. How about finding someone from the same country that will trade? For example you may not need the S so trade for those for the size you need.

Imagine how many unused tips head-fiers have lying around? 

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #952 of 1,243
thanks iradelph halflife (the roots).  that's a good idea.  i think i use the medium or large.  if i recall correctly, the size that came on the piston 2 were the size that worked best for me.  the other day i noticed a tiny tear developing in one of them.  i may start a trade thread or i'll even buy them outright.

so nobody knows any that are really soft like the pistons tips?  all the others i've tried are stiffer and thicker. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #953 of 1,243
  thanks iradelph halflife (the roots).  that's a good idea.  i think i use the medium or large.  if i recall correctly, the size that came on the piston 2 were the size that worked best for me.  the other day i noticed a tiny tear developing in one of them.  i may start a trade thread or i'll even buy them outright.

I'd be willing to trade my old Pistons tips with you (assuming you have other tips I'd like). I've always found them to never seal right, even though I like them a lot. Then again, shipping will be particularly brutal on both our ends, so yeah. But just thought I'd get that out.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #954 of 1,243
yeh homie, ur over in the philippines.  i was born in angeles city but moved to the states at age 2, so i dont even remember any of it.  :frowning2:  i might just try some ortofon tips for like $10

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #956 of 1,243
  I can't believe there a lot of fakes out there, wow

You sound as if it's the first time you found out about that. 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Oh wait...it is the first time you found out about it. Apologies.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #958 of 1,243
Has anyone noticed the slight difference in specs between the Rose Gold, Silver and Crystal Pink variants?

If you take a look at the specs here: http://www.mi.com/huosai/params/

The Rose Gold has sensitivity of 93db whereas the other two are at 97db.

Other than that the specs seem the same. Is there a different in SQ?

I owned the plastic Basic earphones (94dB) and it sounded different from the Crystal Pink version (97dB) which I just obtained for review yesterday.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #959 of 1,243

I owned the plastic Basic earphones (94dB) and it sounded different from the Crystal Pink version (97dB) which I just obtained for review yesterday.

The Basic and Crystal Pink versions are supposed to sound different ***. They use different drivers.

Also, if you detect any difference, why don't you talk about it here instead of asking us?

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #960 of 1,243
  The Basic and Crystal Pink versions are supposed to sound different ***. They use different drivers.

Also, if you detect any difference, why don't you talk about it here instead of asking us?

Yes, I'm aware that they use different drivers. It's just that I thought sensitivity may had a little bit to do with it, but hey, I'm not very well-versed with the technicalities.

I was in the process of writing my review (on my website), so I wanted to know whether the Rose Gold and the Silver versions had any difference, that's all. I only own the Basic and Crystal Pink, so I was just curious if the RG and Silver versions had any perceivable difference since I don't own it, which is why I'm asking.

I'm not sure if I can post the link here, but here's my excerpt comparing the Basic and the Crystal Pink.

Before doing this review, I always had the impression that the difference between the metal versions and the Basic went only skin-deep. I thought wrong. Skin-deep wise, the Basic feels really cheap in comparison to the Crystal Pink, but the differences don’t stop there.
To be honest, I wasn’t that impressed with the Basic. Sure, at its low price it’s still good value-for-money, but at most it performs just a little better than some stock earphones. The vocals felt recessed because the bass overpowered everything else, and as a result it sounded muddy.

You could then compare the Basic to a young teen and the Crystal Pink to a maturing adult.

The Crystal Pink is more in control of itself. It knows when to hold itself back—and as such, the bass feels tight rather than overpowering, and the vocals feel clear rather than muddy. I also found the Crystal Pink sounding a little bit softer than the Basic at the same volume, though perhaps it could just be because of the more controlled bass. The overall sound signature is still similar (I know, because I plugged the Basic in one ear and the Crystal Pink in the other to do an A/B comparison), but the Crystal Pink is much less fatiguing and delivers a more premium sound.

It’s just a subtle change, but one that reshapes the entire experience. I dare say that the Crystal Pink (and probably the Rose Gold and Silver versions as well) stands up well to offerings within the S$50-$80 range.

I'm not an audiophile or anything, so feel free to criticise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back