The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,381 of 1,799
I like hip hop
so of course I want bass 
but I also want the clarity to hear the other details of the song
Im coming from the ath-m50s which were great but not quite enough bass
not to say it wasnt good I just needed more

M-Audio Q40 has lots of bass. Mids and highs are nicely balanced, and more neutral than M50, though you may find the treble too laid back in comparison. M50 has pretty harsh treble.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,383 of 1,799
honesty I was a bit disappointed but after a bit of EQing 
I see what these cans are designed for
these are a nice set of headphones but I think I was looking for the pro700mk when i got these
tho these are a pleasent surprise tho Im still looking...
Def need to replace these ear pads tlike asap cause my ears actually touch the drivers which makes me keep messing and moving the phones around on my head
another thing I noticed is the volume doesn't seem loud as the m50s
with these and the m50s its a detail vs bass trade off
the more I listen the more I like them tho

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,387 of 1,799
Still waiting for my Aune T1 to get here before I write my review.

In the mean time what after market ear pads work with these? A search didn't turn up anything.

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,388 of 1,799
literally two posts up mentions the HM5 pads :] Personally, I had some issues with the fit of the WS99 pads, but after some time wearing them, they seem to have gotten more comfy and I have no issue now.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,389 of 1,799
literally two posts up mentions the HM5 pads :] Personally, I had some issues with the fit of the WS99 pads, but after some time wearing them, they seem to have gotten more comfy and I have no issue now.

My apologize what I should have asked was if there are any alternate pads to the HM5? I'd hate to pay my fabricator almost $150 for customs...

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,390 of 1,799
This has been a really great thread for me.  I have been searching for a new pair of headphones for quite some time.  I was looking to spend about $300 on a headphone.  So far, the ATH-WS99 sounds like great headphone, especially for someone like myself who's coming from the ATH-M50.  I have also been considering the KEF M500, Sennheiser Momentums, ATH-A900X, and Mad Dogs.  I understand that the Mad Dogs will most definitely need an amp to sound their best.  With the exception of the Mad Dogs, I have a few questions.

1.  How does the WS99 compare to the A900X, Momentum, and M500?
2.  Does the WS99 absolutely need an amp to sound its best?
3.  I have a 3rd Gen 64gb Ipod Touch and a laptop.  Will these sources be sufficient to evoke a great sound from the WS99?
4.  How well would the Schiit Magni/Modi stack pair with the WS99?
5.  Does the WS99 absolutely blow the M50 away in all aspects of sound reproduction?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered.

Thank You.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,391 of 1,799
Quote:
This has been a really great thread for me.  I have been searching for a new pair of headphones for quite some time.  I was looking to spend about $300 on a headphone.  So far, the ATH-WS99 sounds like great headphone, especially for someone like myself who's coming from the ATH-M50.  I have also been considering the KEF M500, Sennheiser Momentums, ATH-A900X, and Mad Dogs.  I understand that the Mad Dogs will most definitely need an amp to sound their best.  With the exception of the Mad Dogs, I have a few questions.

1.  How does the WS99 compare to the A900X, Momentum, and M500?
2.  Does the WS99 absolutely need an amp to sound its best?
3.  I have a 3rd Gen 64gb Ipod Touch and a laptop.  Will these sources be sufficient to evoke a great sound from the WS99?
4.  How well would the Schiit Magni/Modi stack pair with the WS99s?
5.  Does the WS99 absolutely blow the M50 away in all aspects of sound reproduction?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered.

Thank You.

How important is bass to you?

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,393 of 1,799
The WS99 definitely has strong yet unobtrusive bass. The rest of the FR is well presented as well, very lovely miss and present highs. I can't comment about the other bullet points except that the WS99 doesn't NEED an amp to sound great; however, a treble tilted amp such as the C&C BH does wonders to further even out the sound and open up the soundstage.

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,394 of 1,799
Quote:
To have a powerful, yet unobtrusive low end response is quite important to me.  It is the reason I have not pulled the trigger on the A900X.

I would say the WS99s would be your best bet. They have great portability as well, so you would have no problem driving them. If bass wasn't as important then I would definitely recommend the AD900X, they sound amazing.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #1,395 of 1,799
The AD900x is also not so portable... Portability is one thing I really like about the WS99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back