The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Jul 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,353 of 1,799
Just ordered the WS99 to replace my hfi-580...can't wait to hear them paired with my incoming Aune T1!

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,355 of 1,799
Ok, so I have been listening to these for about 3 hours out of my Creative X-Fi into my PA2V2 amp, here are some quick impressions:

Compared to the HFI-580's these are much lighter and slightly more comfy. The only real downside is that the cable, even with the extension, is very short. This means I can't jam out with my headphones while I clean and tidy up :frowning2: This can always be fixed by adding an after market cable at some point.

The sound is much better, at least to my brain. They are def a brighter and warmer sounding headphone than my 580. The bass is there but I would not call these a basshead can by any stretch of the imagination. They are a really good all around headphone, and match my taste in EDM perfectly (Armin Van Buuren, Dash Berlin, Aly & Fila, W&W, Tritonal...) They are also much more forgiving on lower quality tracks than the 580. I am also able to wear my glasses without them being pinched to my temples which is a huge plus!

The sound stage is much better as well, it is wider and taller than the 580, but there is a pinch of sibilance (only on some tracks) there which irks me somewhat. I am hoping after a longer burn in period or an ear pad upgrade this will change. 

All in all, I am happy I bought them, but I would not pay more than $200 for these. A big review will be coming after a week or two.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,356 of 1,799
Quote:
Ok, so I have been listening to these for about 3 hours out of my Creative X-Fi into my PA2V2 amp, here are some quick impressions:

Compared to the HFI-580's these are much lighter and slightly more comfy. The only real downside is that the cable, even with the extension, is very short. This means I can't jam out with my headphones while I clean and tidy up :frowning2: This can always be fixed by adding an after market cable at some point.

The sound is much better, at least to my brain. They are def a brighter and warmer sounding headphone than my 580. The bass is there but I would not call these a basshead can by any stretch of the imagination. They are a really good all around headphone, and match my taste in EDM perfectly (Armin Van Buuren, Dash Berlin, Aly & Fila, W&W, Tritonal...) Oh, they are also much more forgiving on lower quality tracks than the 580. I am also able to wear my glasses without them being pinched to my temples which is a huge plus!

The sound stage is much better as well, it is wider and taller than the 580, but there is a pinch of sibilance there which irks me somewhat. I an hoping after a longer burn in period or a ear pad upgrade this will change. 

All in all I am happy I bought them but I would not pay more than $200 for these. A big review will be coming after a week or two.

Nice. I would burn them in real good. They will improve for you.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,357 of 1,799
Quote:
Nice. I would burn them in real good. They will improve for you.

Def I compiled a dedicated burn in playlist which hits every freq and exercises the drivers amazingly. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,358 of 1,799
Quote:

The sound is much better, at least to my brain. They are def a brighter and warmer sounding headphone than my 580. The bass is there but I would not call these a basshead can by any stretch of the imagination. They are a really good all around headphone, and match my taste in EDM perfectly (Armin Van Buuren, Dash Berlin, Aly & Fila, W&W, Tritonal...) They are also much more forgiving on lower quality tracks than the 580. I am also able to wear my glasses without them being pinched to my temples which is a huge plus!

The sound stage is much better as well, it is wider and taller than the 580, but there is a pinch of sibilance (only on some tracks) there which irks me somewhat. I am hoping after a longer burn in period or an ear pad upgrade this will change. 

All in all, I am happy I bought them, but I would not pay more than $200 for these. A big review will be coming after a week or two.

Thank you so much for following up!!!!! You say the comfort is slightly better, my hfi-580s always seemed stiff, how are these in that regard?

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,359 of 1,799
Quote:
Thank you so much for following up!!!!! You say the comfort is slightly better, my hfi-580s always seemed stiff, how are these in that regard?

My pleasure! They don't sqeeze my head nearly as tight as when I first got my 580, but they don't feel as if they are about to break either. I will say that they are not nearly as flexible right above the cups as on the 580 though. Regardless, this shouldn't be an issue unless your head is shaped like an upside down pear. If they pinch you put them on a basketball overnight, that should loosen them up.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,360 of 1,799
Quote:
My pleasure! They don't sqeeze my head nearly as tight as when I first got my 580, but they don't feel as if they are about to break either. I will say that they are not nearly as flexible right above the cups as on the 580 though. Regardless, this shouldn't be an issue unless your head is shaped like an upside down pear. If they pinch you put them on a basketball overnight, that should loosen them up.

Alright, great!!!! If you end up posting a more in depth review i would love to read it, so post a link or something!!!

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,361 of 1,799
Alright, great!!!! If you end up posting a more in depth review i would love to read it, so post a link or something!!!

I will as soon as my Aune T1 arrives =D

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,363 of 1,799
Hey guys I've recently run into a bit of a problem with my Ws99s where the right ear cup is becoming loose right at the point of the swivel. It's quite annoying to think that I've only had them for 2months. But I've taken great care of them.
Has anyone come across this too?

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,364 of 1,799
Hey guys I've recently run into a bit of a problem with my Ws99s where the right ear cup is becoming loose right at the point of the swivel. It's quite annoying to think that I've only had them for 2months. But I've taken great care of them.
Has anyone come across this too?

I swear someone else has had this problem before, it sounds very familiar. I guess it's possible it's a different headphone, but I thought it was this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back