The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Sep 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,771 of 1,799
  I'm a latecomer to the party. I just got my WS99s today, finally, after about a year of thinking about it. I didn't want to spend much, and I got them on the French Amazon site for 99€. I'm using these at my desk with an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 and iTunes, and I'm surprised at how much more bass these have than my M50s. If I had more money to spend, I would get the Shure SRH1540 because they are probably better all-arounders for home use, but they're almost 5 times as much money. To complement these I might get the Grado SR325e, which I know are nothing like the WS99s. These have a much darker, bassier sound than I was expecting. They sound good while listening to the Lateralus album by Tool, but they have almost too much bass to be considered well-rounded and the treble doesn't really sparkle. While listening to the 2001 album by Dr. Dre though, they sound just right. I'm wondering if I'm not really as much of a basshead as I thought I was. Maybe I need to listen more. But a few hours in, I don't regret my purchase.

Let them burn in. You'll love them!

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,772 of 1,799
  I'm a latecomer to the party. I just got my WS99s today, finally, after about a year of thinking about it. I didn't want to spend much, and I got them on the French Amazon site for 99€. I'm using these at my desk with an Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 and iTunes, and I'm surprised at how much more bass these have than my M50s. If I had more money to spend, I would get the Shure SRH1540 because they are probably better all-arounders for home use, but they're almost 5 times as much money. To complement these I might get the Grado SR325e, which I know are nothing like the WS99s. These have a much darker, bassier sound than I was expecting. They sound good while listening to the Lateralus album by Tool, but they have almost too much bass to be considered well-rounded and the treble doesn't really sparkle. While listening to the 2001 album by Dr. Dre though, they sound just right. I'm wondering if I'm not really as much of a basshead as I thought I was. Maybe I need to listen more. But a few hours in, I don't regret my purchase.

When I got mine, I was not a fan of the sound at all. The bass and mids where fine, but like what you said, there is not much highs in them. They were just way to dark for my liking. For the first two weeks that I owned them I thought about returning them. But, as it turns out if you EQ the highs up just a little, they sound great. No scratch that, amazing. Fast forward two years later and I still love them. My ears got use to the low level (but articulate) highs that make them basically fatigue free (minus the comfort issues). Like previous stated in a few posts, if you have the money, I would recommend getting the C&C BH2 for them. 

Oh, one of the best parts about this headphone is that you can push them hard without distortion. Listen to this and turn the volume WAY up. If there is not a smile on your face when it ends, something is wrong with you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_shHu4lAs

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,773 of 1,799
  When I got mine, I was not a fan of the sound at all. The bass and mids where fine, but like what you said, there is not much highs in them. They were just way to dark for my liking. For the first two weeks that I owned them I thought about returning them. But, as it turns out if you EQ the highs up just a little, they sound great. No scratch that, amazing. Fast forward two years later and I still love them. My ears got use to the low level (but articulate) highs that make them basically fatigue free (minus the comfort issues). Like previous stated in a few posts, if you have the money, I would recommend getting the C&C BH2 for them

Oh, one of the best parts about this headphone is that you can push them hard without distortion. Listen to this and turn the volume WAY up. If there is not a smile on your face when it ends, something is wrong with you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_shHu4lAs

+1, +2 and +3!

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,774 of 1,799
I bought these headphones and love them.  I let my daughter use the mic, and she lost it.  Is the mic good for gaming?  If it is, where can I get a replacement? Thanks!

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,779 of 1,799
Is it possible to cause damage by turning the bass up too loud on these? I installed Soundflower and AU Lab on my Mac. When I turn the bass all the way up, they literally shake on my head while listening to "Start it up" by Lloyd Banks on Spotify with the volume up. They shake so much, I'm thinking this can't be good for them. But I checked the max power handling, and they can take 1000mW. The DragonFly 1.2 and Audioengine D3 can only put out 150 and 200mW of power, respectively, if I'm not mistaken. So my question is: can you damage these by turning them up too loud? If I damage them, how will I know?

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,780 of 1,799
In 23th October Audio Technica will release new WS series. WS550/770/1100. WS1100 will be around $200 at start, but expect price to go down to $150 soon. They have removable cables. Interesting is that 1100 specs are much better than 99, actually even 770 has better specs.
I will get WS1100 next year, but in meantime I just won on auction new WS99 for €86/$95. Will post impressions next week.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,781 of 1,799
In 23th October Audio Technica will release new WS series. WS550/770/1100. WS1100 will be around $200 at start, but expect price to go down to $150 soon. They have removable cables. Interesting is that 1100 specs are much better than 99, actually even 770 has better specs.
I will get WS1100 next year, but in meantime I just won on auction new WS99 for €86/$95. Will post impressions next week.

It definitely looks like they fixed the Comfort problem!

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/smt/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2765

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,782 of 1,799

Yet another temptation to overcome...

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,783 of 1,799
Thought I'd let everyone know buysonic.com has the 99's for $80. While the M50x's are basically being whored out everywhere for the holidays (Amazon actually has them as a goldbox deal today), this just seems like a much better deal, considering I've heard these have better mids and highs. 

Anywho, just ordered a pair. Excited for my first pair of full-sized phones in a long time.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,784 of 1,799
It definitely looks like they fixed the Comfort problem!

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/smt/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2765

Did they fix the cheap hinge point problem?  Mine broke when dropped off the table.  $180 bye bye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back