The Worn Out Head-Fi'er
Jun 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kp8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if you are in Korea and want to help out a new Headfi-er.... I am in Seoul and looking for some cans. I am currently w/o and headphones and need some for my work. Let me know if you have anything you are looking to unload.

I'll be glad to help another budding head-fier! Even though I'm not from Korea!
icon10.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #32 of 47
I've almost completely stopped reading about new and old gear, except HF2, but I know I won't receive them until the end of, or even after, the summer, and I'm cool about that.

There are other things to do on head-fi than just sit and drool, there are threads like this, and of course members lounge.

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, this headphone obsession of mine started out something like that (and no, I wouldn't want to waste time describing all the details...and I doubt any of you will want to listen to that crap anyway...) and soon I was spending through the roof every month buying and selling equipments. Never had I imagined myself ending up with a pair of L3000's or purchasing the ridiculously expensive desktop multimedia speakers, the "MC15's" with an initial budget of only $300. Headfi-ism evolved from the search of better sound to soely buying equipments in bid to satisfy that insatiable hunger in me. I just had to BUY BUY BUY and got happier each time I filled that closet of mine with another box from AKG/Sennheiser/Grado/etc.......Things were starting to go awry....

This is a symptom of capitalism at large, not just Head-Fi (though other product-oriented web communities are similar - recording gear, car stuff, cycling, etc).

It is the machine working as it should - consumers must be instilled with the desire to purchase commodities they do not need, or the capitalist goes out of business. Product-oriented web communities are in a way better than any form of advertisement, with the caveat that it is uncertain which specific product within a domain (in this case, headphones) is being promoted - it is like an industry-wide advertisement.

If the process is upsetting to you, perhaps other web communities might be a safer place.

If you are still conflicted, check out "Money is not our god" by Killing Joke (Just turn the video off - woo hoo 1990 music video awesome!)

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

I'll be glad to help another budding head-fier! Even though I'm not from Korea!
icon10.gif

dang.. I thought that I had guessed correctly and also hoped i found a head-fi-er here in Seoul...

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #35 of 47
I agree with other recommendations of taking a break once in awhile and what I do is to listen to my speaker rig for a different presentation of music. Good luck and others would love to hear all those cans in your collection. Music to me is not about dropping $$$ on the best rig but enjoying the music that is being played.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Yet, coincidental it may sound, the mandatory conscription into military service came and soon enough, I was ferried off for my basic military training in an outlying island. That jolly well kept me away from this head-fi madness! Two years of camouflage-green-rifles-grenades passed and I was back into the civilian world. It was then that I realized how the two years have smelted my passion and interest in Audio. I no longer felt like a kid in a Candy store when I accompanied my friends down to our Local Headphone Shop nor was I yearning for the weekly Friday meets anymore.

Hmmm, sounds exactly like where I'm from...
wink_face.gif

Weekly Friday meets? That can only be the little headphone store at Adelphi...

Looking at the cans you own from your signature, it amazes me how a student/NSF can muster enough dough to buy all these...
beerchug.gif

But, I fully understand the obsession to BUY BUY BUY! I personally went from zero to the stuff in my sig in 9 short months... it all started innocently enough last October with a pair of SR80.

Very nice post by the way... although I doubt our government will appreciate your sex analogy in your recent post.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #37 of 47
Upgraditis have claimed another victim.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

It is hard to no be bitten by it while browsing and reading about the one gear more stunning than the other one around here.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kds5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... it all started innocently enough last October with a pair of SR80.

all down hilll from there
biggrin.gif

this thread is really interesting. My wife has used the term "obsesse" a few times. Having "the best" or flagship model has never been priority for me since i doubt that the engineers behind those products would EVER listen to the "music" I have.
Seriously. Way over their heads
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #40 of 47
Fun story. Most in here are audioholics I do believe. Just sell it off. Find a favourite that is a good allrounder and don´t look back. If you manage to get away one time why looking to get in on this addiction again? Would be fine if it didn´t cost so much.

I may be upgrading my amp if there is a cheap way to do it but otherwise I am done. Have had my rerun. First run got some DT 770 PRO/A900/Proline 750/Canamp... Then got bitten again got Pro 900, HD 650, K701, DX 1000, valab nos DAC, EF-1, markl D5000, Keces DAC, Slee Solo, new 5.1 speakers with AV receiver.

Sold everything except the slee solo, k701, pro 900 and Keces by now. Surely I am better off but I could just as well kept the 750/Heed Canamp combo and be happy with it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #41 of 47
I think most dissatisfaction comes from not knowing what they want out of new gear, more expensive headphones usually means higher fidelity but not necessarily more musical enjoyment. For musical enjoyment I go for my $60 headphones and $60 mp3 player ^^.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you, buddy. Now, what condition are your AD-2000s in?
biggrin.gif

They're in pretty good condition but the shiny silver ring on the cups have a little bit of corrosion like thing forming on them cause its magnesium. A little bit of cleaning should get them off.
biggrin.gif
Otherwise they're all good as new.

In fact, the only reason why I came onto head-fi was actually to browse through the Music section. I'm currently really into Progressive House, Hard style trance and stuff like that. I'm immune to the equipments already!
evil_smiley.gif

Throw me a HF-2 or HD800 and I wouldn't budge! TRY ME! Bring it on!

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #43 of 47
What about looking into DIY and or modding under performing vintage gear to bring it up to near 'stat levels? I've had more fun modding the dampening on vintage orthos and really learning how the dampening and pads effect the sound more than cables for that type of driver. Then there is the whole DIY side and I have 4 amps, 1 CDP, and 2 phono stages under construction. The planning of the chassis and the layout has been a very long, but enjoyable process. Oh, and then you can move on to full custom headband design! I have four headphones that I plan to use their drivers in custom wood cups and new custom headbands.

There are still a few cans I'd love to own now, but I don't have that drive to have the latest and greatest. I really had to waffle on the HF2s, but at the time I still had the RS-1s and I still own the 125s and 325s so I could justify the expense. I did just win another headphone on the 'Bay tonight, but it was only $75 and a fair price for an old vintage Fostex ortho. he'll need some work on the dampening to tune it to my tastes, but that's the part I enjoy.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

They're in pretty good condition but the shiny silver ring on the cups have a little bit of corrosion like thing forming on them cause its magnesium. A little bit of cleaning should get them off.
biggrin.gif
Otherwise they're all good as new.

In fact, the only reason why I came onto head-fi was actually to browse through the Music section. I'm currently really into Progressive House, Hard style trance and stuff like that. I'm immune to the equipments already!
evil_smiley.gif

Throw me a HF-2 or HD800 and I wouldn't budge! TRY ME! Bring it on!

Nothing happens by accident. You found Head-fi because you were meant to. So I have a better idea. Buy a pair of HF-2 and HD-800's. Get everything you can afford and desire. Keep selling what "misses the cut". Remember, in the long term, the only headphone purchases you will regret are the ones you missed. The idea is MORE MUSICAL SATISFACTION. No need to go hairshirt. But when it's time to move stuff on, no regrets. Don't stay attached.

I have to giggle about the "stop wasting your life on music and do something significant" idea. This is it! Whatever we do is as significant as it gets. Truthfully, we are filling time until the reaper calls. We might as well live boldly in the mean.

Fire your passions! Perhaps find out for yourself whether sex is as good the 1000 time. Maybe go down and feed the homeless at the soup kitchen, not cause you "ought" to, but because you dig seeing hungry people eat.

It's OK to prefer the journey to the arrival. You may find the setup of your dreams and stop, or it may be a lifelong journey. Enjoy it either way and don't let anyone steal your fun with misplaced guilt. When it's time to move on to other things you will know and will be able to do that with the same conviction.

As Bill Hicks says (you can look it up...) "It's just a ride..."

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing happens by accident. You found Head-fi because you were meant to. So I have a better idea. Buy a pair of HF-2 and HD-800's. Get everything you can afford and desire. Keep selling what "misses the cut". Remember, in the long term, the only headphone purchases you will regret are the ones you missed. The idea is MORE MUSICAL SATISFACTION. No need to go hairshirt. But when it's time to move stuff on, no regrets. Don't stay attached.

I have to giggle about the "stop wasting your life on music and do something significant" idea. This is it! Whatever we do is as significant as it gets. Truthfully, we are filling time until the reaper calls. We might as well live boldly in the mean.

Fire your passions! Perhaps find out for yourself whether sex is as good the 1000 time. Maybe go down and feed the homeless at the soup kitchen, not cause you "ought" to, but because you dig seeing hungry people eat.

It's OK to prefer the journey to the arrival. You may find the setup of your dreams and stop, or it may be a lifelong journey. Enjoy it either way and don't let anyone steal your fun with misplaced guilt. When it's time to move on to other things you will know and will be able to do that with the same conviction.

As Bill Hicks says (you can look it up...) "It's just a ride..."

That's helluva good read there! Food for thought.
darthsmile.gif

I guess the finding out if sex was just as good the 1000th time as it was the 1st time is something I won't mind exploring. Hell, I might even give away all my equipments for that....
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back