The worlds most extreme ER4-P
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Evil Dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, but say you plug that into a balanced amp - wouldn't the power delivered by a decent tube/SS amp blow up the teeny little drivers? You would probably have to keep the volume down to the lowest knob to keep your eardrums from imploding...
Then again, I've never had the (pleasure?) of experiencing IEMs plugged into a non-portable amp

The sensetivity/driving power needed to run the ER4-P is about the same as my L3000, they both sit a about 9 o'clock on the volume dial with the GS-1000 being at about 10 o'clock for the same loudness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the only difference between the s and p is the resistor in the cable, if you change the cable, wouldn't it not matter which you started out with? Only a thought.

I'm not sure I get where you're at ?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just had an ultra short listen to them and I can tell that my GS-1000 is cowering in fear. It's to early to make any definate comments but they sure sound great. This was with acapella choir in a mid size church singing danish christmas carols and towards the end of one I almost jumped through the roof when some small bells where peeling. They are not going to be able to upset my L3000 I think, they simply have not got the bass and physical presence but for my classical choir and chamber music I can see them with the potential to ousting the GS-1000.

What about the sterile nature of the Etys compared to the musically colored sound of the GS-1000? Also, the GS-1000 bass has impact - are you getting that same impact from the etys
confused_face_2.gif

The reason that I ask is because the K-1000 solidly amped has similarities to the Ety sound (except that everything is bigger, more refined and significantly better) and while the K-1000 is preferred by me over the O2s, HE-90, and every other headphone out there (big ety fan too) , the GS-1000 gives musicality and impact and sometimes (depending on my mood) sounds better than the K-1000, albeit in a more colored way.

Great experiment you have going - I look forward to how much the Etys scale up. If so, I wonder how much the Shure E530s, Westone 3s, and UE10/11s scale up.

I don't think we will be selling off our regular headphones anytime soon, but
beerchug.gif
to you for this experiment.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Evil Dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, but say you plug that into a balanced amp - wouldn't the power delivered by a decent tube/SS amp blow up the teeny little drivers? You would probably have to keep the volume down to the lowest knob to keep your eardrums from imploding...
Then again, I've never had the (pleasure?) of experiencing IEMs plugged into a non-portable amp

ER-4P is not as efficient as Grados. ER-4S is even less efficient. So putting it in a Balanced configuration makes sense actually since ER-4S is the only "earbud" that I ever used that behave and sound like full sized cans

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the sterile nature of the Etys compared to the musically colored sound of the GS-1000? Also, the GS-1000 bass has impact - are you getting that same impact from the etys
confused_face_2.gif

The reason that I ask is because the K-1000 solidly amped has similarities to the Ety sound (except that everything is bigger, more refined and significantly better) and while the K-1000 is preferred by me over the O2s, HE-90, and every other headphone out there (big ety fan too) , the GS-1000 gives musicality and impact and sometimes (depending on my mood) sounds better than the K-1000, albeit in a more colored way.

Great experiment you have going - I look forward to how much the Etys scale up. If so, I wonder how much the Shure E530s, Westone 3s, and UE10/11s scale up.

I don't think we will be selling off our regular headphones anytime soon, but
beerchug.gif
to you for this experiment.

No, they don't have the same bass impact as the GS-1000 but they have more than I ever thought an ER4 could have. They are also not as coloured as the GS-1000 (but I've never found them sterile but the APS cable warms them up a bit) and don't have as much air/room but again more than I have ever experienced before with an ER4 and there is no hint of the sibilance the ER4 can show. And going by experience from my previous APS cables I know that these things will change(improve) with burn-in. Also the ER4 has the same advantage as the L3000 has for a bedroom rig that it is closed so does not bother the wife. The GS-1000 I can only use when I'm alone.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 115
I am surprised that you haven't got custom ear moulds for them. This enhanced that bass for me and gave EVEN MORE clarity. Anyway, just a thought for your BIG PIMPING ER4-Ps

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm worried for your ER4, the size of the cable is going to kill the input connectors.
confused_face.gif

I don't see why it should. The pins on Alex's cable are very sturdy and go deep into the pods and I use them Shure style with the cable running up over and behind the ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised that you haven't got custom ear moulds for them. This enhanced that bass for me and gave EVEN MORE clarity. Anyway, just a thought for your BIG PIMPING ER4-Ps

That is actually next on the list once funds permit and if I can find somebody in Denmark to make them
icon10.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 115
I have had a little more time with them and I'm hearing details in recordings I've never heard before. Some of those details I'm not so sure I wanted to hear like traffic noice from outside the recording venue and nosie from the machinery operating the organ bellows. On the other hand on a recording like Jazz at the Pawn Shop I can now often hear and comprehend the conversation going on both between the musicians and in the audience. Soundstage is probably not as big as with the GS-1000 but that is not a major concern for me. Bass is fantastic although naturally not of the quantity I get with either GS-1000 or L3000 but the quality is great except when it gets really powerfull like in Reference Recordings HDCD encoded recording of Aaron Coplands Fanfare for the common man they do break up a little with the huge bass drum and kettle drums but then so do many other phones on that track.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand on a recording like Jazz at the Pawn Shop I can now often hear and comprehend the conversation going on both between the musicians and in the audience.

If I'd be able to hear that someday, it would be... nice^^

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOAH...that much detail? Awesome! What song is this from?
confused_face(1).gif

I'd love to give it a try myself.
tongue_smile.gif

This is on a Classico (Danish label) recording of Charles Widor's 5th and 6th organ symphonies. The traffic noise sounds like at lorry reversing giving off those biib biib warnings for people to get out the way and also some engine noise.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you call that extreme? mine are connected via coat hangers and water hoses.

Pic or you get disqualified from the "most extreme ER-4P" contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back