The World's Largest Record Collection
Aug 29, 2011 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus
A very touching and sad story.

It is also in youtube but a shorter version.

some history about his record store and update about the collection in this wikipedia's article.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 17
I've seen this before and live near by. I vaguely remember going here as a very young kid. My dad used to go here all the time. Its very sad, If I was rich I'd buy it and start a project by keeping the business going and professionally digitizing the collection for future generations. I would archive everything both physically and digitally. I am sad that many of that stuff I will never get to hear and their are going to be a lot of people never get to hear it.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 17
If it were me, I'd donate it to an institution of some kind, a large museum or university would be good. Maybe even the Library of Congress.

He could get some serious tax breaks from a donation. A university might even give him an annuity.

It'd probably be best to go the institutional route since it could be made available to more people. The rare stuff should be digitized and released.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 17
He's been tempting this collection for a few years now. There have been several threads on this. If all the internet audio members pitched in for download privileges........

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
He's been tempting this collection for a few years now. There have been several threads on this. If all the internet audio members pitched in for download privileges........

As much as I prefer to buy everything I agree with your idea. A good digitalized vinyl record can still sound analogue on WAV. I remember the Focus album I once bought, "Focus III" which was a CD but instead of a remaster it was just a well digitalized vinyl recording. That album usually gets me hooked on the sound and makes me want to listen to the full album.

I almost wish I had the money for his collection... 

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 17
No.

The only exception is the K500 and that is it. Music matters more and this article made me miss my vinyl rig. The "almost" refers to the maintenance efforts you have to make to keep the music collection in good condition. 

P.S. Mr. Blonde...

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 17
If the guy would make personal compilations, well transferred from analogue to a digital format I would get his work. I do not care about 24 bits or HD sound. Just a good rendering of what he thinks should be shared with the world would make the world a bit richer, musically...

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 17
What if someone were to make a donation thread here where anyone could donate to put money towards the Head-Fi community having its own archive or selling the records individually to community members?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back