The World's Largest Record Collection
Sep 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 17
This made me cry.....
frown.gif
. Can't some of those multimillionares out there value this? this collection is worth more than any ********** diamond!

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 17
Thanks for posting the video.  I have a feeling it's not the purchase price, but all the encumbrance that comes along with this purchase that's scaring people off, such as needing to hire people full-time to maintain the collection, real estate, digitally archiving both the catalog, labor for digitizing and scanning the collection, the equipment and backup storage needed, insurance, etc.  The costs associated with something like this are really daunting, and given that most of the music is probably American, and a lesser extent European, it cuts out any interest from most rich benefactors in Asia and the Middle East.

Just purchasing the collection would be the easy part, but everything after that is a significantly revenue losing endeavor.  Since demand for most of those releases will be nothing, and because the collection's owner has no IP rights to the recordings, the owner can't even recoup losses by licensing to Apple or Amazon.  Any publisher will probably give next-to-nothing, if the seller is lucky to get any sort of flat fee, since I'd imagine less than 1% of the copies would sell.  Last but not least, a lot of those albums are probably audibly deteriorated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back