The World’s First Hybrid Earbud, The Grand Launch! DUNU Alpha 1
Feb 14, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #76 of 81
I have what I consider 'mid' sized outer ears, and I can only used the smallest ear guides / fins that come with Alpha 1. The mid and large sized fins are simply too big to fit me. Without the fins, I can't get a decent fit so the fin-less options don't work for me either. It is indeed not for people with small ears, and probably not for those who are not partial to earbuds (over IEM).

With a good fit, the overall tuning is actually closer to an IEM, as it doesn't have the openness of earbuds. While still quite good sounding, I think the 'hybrid' part of Alpha 1 might better describe the sound signature rather than the two types of transducer. If you are looking for the 'open-end' feeling that typical earbuds offer, this might not be your cup of tea. But if you are not, this might work.

DUNU has created something very unique with Alpha 1, but it is not for everyone. If you are looking something safer to try, Titan 1 is an absolute gem that I can recommend without hesitation.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #77 of 81
Totally agree with ClieOS.  I have largish ears - and although I can use the large fins, I can't get a great fit. I've tried all the options - no go.  A bit frustrating really because they actually sound not too bad (if you can effectively isolate a little more - eg cup hands over ears when wearing, or press the buds into your ears and hold them there).  But because I can't get a decent deal with any of the fitting rings, I end up with not bad bass, but a piercing, sort of hollow sounding mid range which can be very peaky and strident.

The Titan a re a much easier and safer recommendation.  I'll keep trying with the Alphas.  The design is very innovative - but ..........

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #78 of 81
I'm interested in this earbud as well. Just waiting for few more impressions before I take the plunge. I'm finding myself going back to basics with earbuds lately. Currently enjoying my MX985 which sound surprisingly very good with the ipod shuffle. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #79 of 81
These earbuds look pretty sleek. I'd be interested to hear what they sound like, as i am not partial to the way most earbuds sound regardless of engineering or price point.
The specs i've been able to find are intriguing, though I can't find much information outside head-fi on these babies, are they available through any Canadian resellers?

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #80 of 81
So I've got these in for review. I'm still deciding on the right "buds" to use. So far to my ears the sound is cold and detailed, some mid range missing, bass is there but doesn't extended well. More to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back