The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Mar 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #5,986 of 7,980
The R1 looks good, but the new 6-wire Magnus IC is pretty damn sweet on its own as well!

Only downside is that it's making me want to change my Switchcraft humongo-plug to a Paillics to match the IC!

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,987 of 7,980
400 pages! 

Happy 400th page birthday..
size]

On another note..Anybody here a fan of Morphine? (Uh, the band, that is) If you are at all....you NEED a pair of 8.A's. Just absolute perfection, like made for each other. All the layers of bass, all the details, nuances and cues happening in the lower end there is just put out wonderfully and naturally. 

Good stuff.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #5,989 of 7,980
Quote:
400 pages! 

Happy 400th page birthday..
size]

On another note..Anybody here a fan of Morphine? (Uh, the band, that is) If you are at all....you NEED a pair of 8.A's. Just absolute perfection, like made for each other. All the layers of bass, all the details, nuances and cues happening in the lower end there is just put out wonderfully and naturally. 

Good stuff.

I love Morphine! Can't get 8.A's but hopefully it's a similar case with the 5.0's I have on their way. :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5,990 of 7,980
I received my 4.As a few days and have been enjoying myself since. I have comments and observations to add to the discussion.

1) Regarding fit, this is my first CIEM and I was really worried about a bad fit. The first time I put them on, the left one just popped in and needed no adjustment, however the right one needed a little extra wiggle to make sure it was in the right place. But once this was solved, everything felt quite comfortable, and I had no discomfort after listening for about two hours. I did have trouble getting them out, but found if I pull them out gently with a little twist, they would come right out.

2) The sound is very dependent on the recording. The first thing I listened to was Bon Iver's cover of "Can't Make You Love Me" combined with "Nick of Time". I honestly felt a little disappointed. His voice sounded the way I remember it, but the piano sounded somewhat thin. Thus the worry about missing bass began to creep in at this point.

I next went to listen to something that had a bit more bass presence, The XX. Having just seen them live, I knew what kind of sound they were shooting for. Needless to say, the 4.As put my fears to rest. Everything was handled delicately and kept in its place. The texture of the male singer's voice was there, clicks on the drum machine, the beautiful steel drums. When going back and forth between the two albums, this is where I came to the conclusion that everything is recording dependent. On the very first track I listened to, "Intro" the percussion is very prominent and a big part of the mix. However transferring over to a track like "Shelter" or "Angels" that is pretty much about vocals and the guitar/bass line, everything else is kept in check but still very much present, especially the booming bass drum hits that have the potential to take over the sound if the bass is overemphasized.

Also, Bossa Nova recordings sound amazing. I am again hooked on the Getz/Gilberto album.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,991 of 7,980
Quote:
I received my 4.As a few days and have been enjoying myself since. I have comments and observations to add to the discussion.

1) Regarding fit, this is my first CIEM and I was really worried about a bad fit. The first time I put them on, the left one just popped in and needed no adjustment, however the right one needed a little extra wiggle to make sure it was in the right place. But once this was solved, everything felt quite comfortable, and I had no discomfort after listening for about two hours. I did have trouble getting them out, but found if I pull them out gently with a little twist, they would come right out.

2) The sound is very dependent on the recording. The first thing I listened to was Bon Iver's cover of "Can't Make You Love Me" combined with "Nick of Time". I honestly felt a little disappointed. His voice sounded the way I remember it, but the piano sounded somewhat thin. Thus the worry about missing bass began to creep in at this point.

I next went to listen to something that had a bit more bass presence, The XX. Having just seen them live, I knew what kind of sound they were shooting for. Needless to say, the 4.As put my fears to rest. Everything was handled delicately and kept in its place. The texture of the male singer's voice was there, clicks on the drum machine, the beautiful steel drums. When going back and forth between the two albums, this is where I came to the conclusion that everything is recording dependent. On the very first track I listened to, "Intro" the percussion is very prominent and a big part of the mix. However transferring over to a track like "Shelter" or "Angels" that is pretty much about vocals and the guitar/bass line, everything else is kept in check but still very much present, especially the booming bass drum hits that have the potential to take over the sound if the bass is overemphasized.

Also, Bossa Nova recordings sound amazing. I am again hooked on the Getz/Gilberto album.

Test to see if you get equal bass between both your earpieces using this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkYqC6lu2A

I'm also testing my 4A's for the first time (my first IEM/CIEMs).

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #5,992 of 7,980
Quote:
Test to see if you get equal bass between both your earpieces using this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkYqC6lu2A

I'm also testing my 4A's for the first time (my first IEM/CIEMs).

I wasn't  worried about the bass missing due to a bad fit.  I already went through and did some sine wave sweeps, along with single tone tests, and I could hear everything in the normal spectrum. 

I was more worried that the tuning of the 4.As may not be to my liking, but that turned out to not be true, it was just a poor recording that tricked me.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #5,993 of 7,980
Quote:
I wasn't  worried about the bass missing due to a bad fit.  I already went through and did some sine wave sweeps, along with single tone tests, and I could hear everything in the normal spectrum. 

I was more worried that the tuning of the 4.As may not be to my liking, but that turned out to not be true, it was just a poor recording that tricked me.

That's cool. Do you notice that if you listen to the low frequencies (~50 Hz and below) that it gets awfully quieter?

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #5,994 of 7,980
Quote:
That's cool. Do you notice that if you listen to the low frequencies (~50 Hz and below) that it gets awfully quieter?

As it should!  There is little to no bass boost with the 4.ai and as I have posted before  (along with scientific data)  that is the natural auditory mechanisim at play.  If you found that was NOT the case and the head phone had flat 2cc measurements, then your hearing has some strange pathology.

http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/understanding-the-difference-between-sound-pressure-level-spl-and-hearing-level-hl-in-measuring-hearing-loss.php

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #5,995 of 7,980
Quote:

Yes I do notice that, but I think I am used to that from my other "neutral" IEMs.  With the 4.As, I feel like everything is there equally with a proper sense of space, it is just up to the source to say what should come through.  The biggest difference compared to the other "neutral" IEMs is that bass drums on the others have that thud when they are hit, but not quite the overtones and reverberations that come when you hear a bass drum, but if the bass drum is soloed I definitely pick up everything on the 4.As.

I just went and listened to some metal with constant double bass blasting throughout, and all of the notes were there and easily separable.  From my experience, the bass guitar line tends to get drowned out by both the guitars and the double bass, but this was not the case for me with the 4.As.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #5,996 of 7,980
If you guys want to see just how much bass the 4A's have and how deep it goes give the bottom video a listen.
WARNING: Listening to this song with the 8A could probably cause brain damage. Listen at own risk

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #5,997 of 7,980
ahhhh im desperatly waiting for my 4.ai been waiting all week. Ordered them monday and they still havent shipped them whats going on!! i guess il just call them tomorrow if they dont ship. anyone else wait this long for shipment?

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #5,998 of 7,980
Nice!
I picked up a Magnus ic for connecting the Dragonfly to a PanAm. Cable looks swank
By the way, how does the analog writing device under the R1 sound? 
Quote:
The R1 looks good, but the new 6-wire Magnus IC is pretty damn sweet on its own as well!

Only downside is that it's making me want to change my Switchcraft humongo-plug to a Paillics to match the IC!

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,999 of 7,980
Quote:
If you guys want to see just how much bass the 4A's have and how deep it goes give the bottom video a listen.
WARNING: Listening to this song with the 8A could probably cause brain damage. Listen at own risk

8.A listened the with.

Dain bramaged.

album buy must.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #6,000 of 7,980
Quote:
Nice!
I picked up a Magnus ic for connecting the Dragonfly to a PanAm. Cable looks swank
By the way, how does the analog writing device under the R1 sound? 

The AWD under the R1 sounds pretty disappointing, but maybe that's just because I'm spoiled by the DX100. The display contrast is top notch though, easily readable even in direct sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back