The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4,727 of 7,980
Black back. To what extent does the IEM contribute? At a minimum it would appear that more sensitive would mean pushing the amp less and not pulling the background with more volume. I was quite surprised with how sensitive the 4.A's were (never seen a published spec). But I would have my iPhone 4S volume a fair amount lower than with my Westone 4R's and correspondingly noticed less background noise for the same relative music volume.

I'd sure hope there is 0 hiss with the high impedance of the Tzar lmao. The Hisound RE262 with its 150 ohms had absolutely 0 hiss on the Studio V. It was as black as night lol :).

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,728 of 7,980
Quote:
I realized I posted that really late so only the asian guys will have seen it but results look pretty bleak. Heir offers generous discounts depending on the time of the year and I may contact them for a homie hookup. I talked to my friend at length about Heir and his process getting them. I like their trim designs and they hold themselves accountable for the quality of their work. Notice how I didn't say anything about the sound yet right? Honesty and integrity are important to me as a customer and as an MOT :)

I went with JH for the service first, sound second. The JH13 is better than my LCD-2's at everything, the 16 is more musical but was a little boomy for my taste. My 13's are from JH, not reshells.

I'm actually just curious, if I get something that is completely different but just as good, I would actually like that very much. I can sell the 13's for a few hundred dollars loss, and get to know my music in a different way.. sounds great right? I'll be monitoring this thread closely.

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your interest in Heir Audio.

Please feel free to PM myself and/or John (FullCircle) if you have any questions or comments regarding our products.

Best,

Brannan
 ​

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,729 of 7,980
Quote:

Personally I like the diversity of sound I get from different equipment. I'm trying to cut my collection back and get rid of the things I don't use any more, but having different equipment with a range of strengths is a virtue.

It's one of the things I like about headphone audio over home audio: Even if you're very well off it's still going to be a challenge to keep a range of speakers and set up whatever you're in the mood for at a moment's notice. With my customs, it's just a matter of popping something different in my ears.

That sounds like you have more money than me so you can afford to keep more stuff around.. for me, I have to deal in absolutes until I start making more money :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,730 of 7,980
Quote:
Black back. To what extent does the IEM contribute? At a minimum it would appear that more sensitive would mean pushing the amp less and not pulling the background with more volume. I was quite surprised with how sensitive the 4.A's were (never seen a published spec). But I would have my iPhone 4S volume a fair amount lower than with my Westone 4R's and correspondingly noticed less background noise for the same relative music volume.

Well isn't the tzar 350 ohms? That should ensure no hiss at all. The RE262 I had was 150 ohms and it was black as black could be. The higher the impedance the higher the stress and less efficient the IEM becomes in conjunction with the sensitivity of the IEM.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4,734 of 7,980
Quote:
For those with the UHA-6S, are you using the built-in DAC?

I am still on the fence of whether to get that or the Rendition 1, and not wanting to upgrade from the built-in DAC is a pro for the UHA-6S.

I made a couple posts over on the UHA thread today,

Kinda my feelings about that unit. I am still however considering the Rendition myself because I do want a dedicated amp. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012/1290#post_9094535

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012/1290#post_9094686

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,735 of 7,980
Quote:
I made a couple posts over on the UHA thread today,

Kinda my feelings about that unit. I am still however considering the Rendition myself because I do want a dedicated amp. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012/1290#post_9094535

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012/1290#post_9094686

You can use the UHA6 MKII as a dedicated amp lol. Just don't plug it to the PC via USB or optical and only use it via the Line In. I used a separate dedicated DAC and connect it via Line In to the UHA6 when I had it. Now I do the same but with my Triad L3 instead.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #4,737 of 7,980
Quote:
I was just wondering if the DAC pairs well with the 4.As, or if people have found a better pairing to work with the amp section of the UHA-6S. 

If you want a really good DAC look into the DACport LX. In terms of price to performance it has been one of my top purchases made on headfi. It has also managed to stay with me the longest out of all my gear. The price has gone down a bit as well. I think its $250.00 now.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #4,738 of 7,980
Quote:
You can use the UHA6 MKII as a dedicated amp lol. Just don't plug it to the PC via USB or optical and only use it via the Line In. I used a separate dedicated DAC and connect it via Line In to the UHA6 when I had it. Now I do the same but with my Triad L3 instead.

???
Why not use it via USB or optical? That's how I use the DAC section. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,739 of 7,980
Quote:
???
Why not use it via USB or optical? That's how I use the DAC section. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thegrobe my point is I didn't use the UHA6MKIIs DAC section because I have/had much better DACs to use with the amp alone. Using the UHA6MKIIs DAC is a bottleneck to the amp section thus I wouldn't get the full performance of the amp section due to this. Thus why I said if you want to improve things further consider a dedicated DAC and connect it to the UHA6 MII via the Line In. The DACport LX IMO has been one of my best purchases in terms of value to performance (sound quality). As I said this is for me. If you are happy with the sound then more power to you. But the amp section is capable of more :).

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,740 of 7,980
Quote:
Thegrobe my point is I didn't use the UHA6MKIIs DAC section because I have/had much better DACs to use with the amp alone. Using the UHA6MKIIs DAC is a bottleneck to the amp section thus I wouldn't get the full performance of the amp section due to this. Thus why I said if you want to improve things further consider a dedicated DAC and connect it to the UHA6 MII via the Line In. The DACport LX IMO has been one of my best purchases in terms of value to performance (sound quality). As I said this is for me. If you are happy with the sound then more power to you. But the amp section is capable of more :).

Oh, okay. Sorry for some reason I was confused by the wording. 

I would certainly look into trying another DAC in the future, then the UHA as amp only. Got it. lol.

The point I was making earlier was that UHA (and it's DAC) is the best of what modest collection of gear I have so far. It's also worth mentioning that I don't have any other DAC. All my ipods and clips and phone, etc work very nicely with the UHA as an amp only. However, Using the UHA DAC/Amp together surpasses those sources in quality (my opinion). It might not be the ultimate ....  but so far it's the best I have. 

This doesn't mean I'm done buying stuff. Ha ha. So maybe a dedicated DAC down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back