The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,501 of 7,980
Hi Guys,

I convinced my friend to buy an IEM from Heir Audio. He needs some help on deciding which one to get. Here are the things he's looking for:

- fun > precision
- bass not important, but a little bit strong is ok. too strong = bad
- highs are really important
- vocals are really important, especially female vocals
- i want headphones optimized for electronic music. though i do listen to a bit
of classical, jazz, ...
- i often use a somewhat v shaped equalizer (meaning the equalizer graph looks somewhat like a V shape)
- i listen to music on a cowon z2
- i dont have an amp, but am willing to get one if it can be carried around in my pocket

Please advise on what my friend should get. 8A is out of the question due to budgeting. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #4,502 of 7,980
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I convinced my friend to buy an IEM from Heir Audio. He needs some help on deciding which one to get. Here are the things he's looking for:

- fun > precision
of classical, jazz, ...
- i often use a somewhat v shaped equalizer (meaning the equalizer graph looks somewhat like a V shape)
- i dont have an amp, but am willing to get one if it can be carried around in my pocket

Please advise on what my friend should get. 8A is out of the question due to budgeting. 

This is just my opinion so please keep that in mind.

My initial order was for the 4a because, at the time, they were on introductory pricing, below what was to become the standard price.  Before that pricing offer was discontinued by Heir I asked that the order be changed to the 8a.  The difference in price was substantial.  My thinking process was that I would not be happy with the 4a because I knew that the 8a was out there.  After much thinking and wavering on the subject I finally made the decision to make the change to the 8a.  I can not be more pleased with my decision.  I have never heard the 4a, and while I am sure that it is a marvelous product I would still pine for the 8a if I had not got it.

I have listened with and without an amp.  Bottom line - they sound fine without an amp, but even better with an amp.  So much so that I do not listen without an amp because I have an idea of what the 8a is capable of and an amp makes it do that. (I use a construction workers belt under my lab coat with a tape measure holder holding the amp and the iPod or Clip. BTW - thanks for the Heir rubber bands - they did come in very handy!).  I say idea because I am often surprised when I listen to something that I am familiar with only to hear things I have never heard before.  Things like deep bass, background noises in the studio, instruments that I never knew were there.  Live events are the most interesting as I can actually hear audience and on-stage responses and comments between songs. Also, I have what may be an even better amp and DSP on pre-order - great products deserve to be associated with great products.  I have very high hopes.

If the 8a is out of the question right now than my suggestion to your friend is to save up for it and get it when you they can.  If the top of the line is what they really want than save up and get it.  It is only a matter of time.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,503 of 7,980
Quote:
This is just my opinion so please keep that in mind.

My initial order was for the 4a because, at the time, they were on introductory pricing, below what was to become the standard price.  Before that pricing offer was discontinued by Heir I asked that the order be changed to the 8a.  The difference in price was substantial.  My thinking process was that I would not be happy with the 4a because I knew that the 8a was out there.  After much thinking and wavering on the subject I finally made the decision to make the change to the 8a.  I can not be more pleased with my decision.  I have never heard the 4a, and while I am sure that it is a marvelous product I would still pine for the 8a if I had not got it.

I have listened with and without an amp.  Bottom line - they sound fine without an amp, but even better with an amp.  So much so that I do not listen without an amp because I have an idea of what the 8a is capable of and an amp makes it do that. (I use a construction workers belt under my lab coat with a tape measure holder holding the amp and the iPod or Clip. BTW - thanks for the Heir rubber bands - they did come in very handy!).  I say idea because I am often surprised when I listen to something that I am familiar with only to hear things I have never heard before.  Things like deep bass, background noises in the studio, instruments that I never knew were there.  Live events are the most interesting as I can actually hear audience and on-stage responses and comments between songs. Also, I have what may be an even better amp and DSP on pre-order - great products deserve to be associated with great products.  I have very high hopes.

If the 8a is out of the question right now than my suggestion to your friend is to save up for it and get it when you they can.  If the top of the line is what they really want than save up and get it.  It is only a matter of time.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Your opinion is considered. My friend does not want customs so there is no universal version of 8A. You're making me feel bad now because I recently purchased 4A LOL. :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #4,505 of 7,980
Quote:
Is any USA 8A owner here? My 8A is about to arrive but I'm wondering if I need to buy for the custom fees since I live USA?

Don't worry, they're worth it.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #4,506 of 7,980
Quote:
Is any USA 8A owner here? My 8A is about to arrive but I'm wondering if I need to buy for the custom fees since I live USA?

I would expect so

Quote:
Hi Guys,

- fun > precision
of classical, jazz, ...

My gut tells me the Tzar 90

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,508 of 7,980
For deliveries in the U.S., UPS will require payment of the customs fee when the driver arrives with your package. If you can't pay the fee, you don't get the package, and you have to schedule a second delivery or contact UPS to make arrangements. Duty is assessed based on the value of the item, but payment is required regardless of which model you order.

I don't know if UPS accepts payment online before delivery -- last year when I received my 4.A, they wouldn't.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #4,509 of 7,980
Quote:
For deliveries in the U.S., UPS will require payment of the customs fee when the driver arrives with your package. If you can't pay the fee, you don't get the package, and you have to schedule a second delivery or contact UPS to make arrangements. Duty is assessed based on the value of the item, but payment is required regardless of which model you order.

I don't know if UPS accepts payment online before delivery -- last year when I received my 4.A, they wouldn't.

How much did u have to pay for your 4A?

I thought the 55usd freight prepaid will do all the works.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #4,510 of 7,980
Do you mean the simple stamped logo, or the custom wood inlay? If the latter I find this comment rather surprising as the wood inlay is beautiful and elegant plus further defines the craftsmanship if the IEM.

It is hard to fathom, but some people want the logo on their wood face plates (But we do try to discourage) Apparently, some people like the logo and are proud to own an Heir Audio product. Ultimately a CIEM is a "custom" product and the customer has the ability to pick a choose what he or she wants.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,511 of 7,980

I paid somewhere around $35 in customs duties.

The $55 shipping is the cost of packing and shipping the item. It does not include the duties fee, which is assessed based on the declared value of the item. The assessment is set by the government and they get the money; UPS is only responsible for collecting it on delivery.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4,512 of 7,980
Do you mean the simple stamped logo, or the custom wood inlay? If the latter I find this comment rather surprising as the wood inlay is beautiful and elegant plus further defines the craftsmanship if the IEM.

I think but not quite sure. But when you select the first heir logo option near the top its the foil logo?

As the woody inlay option is further down the page.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,513 of 7,980
Quote:

How would a $55 USD shipping fee cover whatever custom taxes a country puts on the shipment? Around here taxes are 25% + 5-10% + a $30 fee. I wouldn't worry too much about the US tax, it's probably no more than $50.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #4,514 of 7,980
Quote:

The UPS and Custom fees will be about $75.00.  That's what I paid for my 8a's in San Francisco upon arrival.  That is in addition to the shipping charges charged by Heir.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #4,515 of 7,980

How would a $55 USD shipping fee cover whatever custom taxes a country puts on the shipment? Around here taxes are 25% + 5-10% + a $30 fee. I wouldn't worry too much about the US tax, it's probably no more than $50.

The UPS and Custom fees will be about $75.00.  That's what I paid for my 8a's in San Francisco upon arrival.  That is in addition to the shipping charges charged by Heir.

I'm betting for around $75 as well as my 4.A was $55.

Also, if you're in the US you need a check. They will not accept cash or card because they're not familiar with the 21st century. They probably require it to be faxed at some point, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back