The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Jan 7, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #4,367 of 7,980
Quote:

I rather doubt that is the case considering build times are 3-5 weeks.

Like most things, I am sure there is more to this than face value.

Already stated that 5 of the 6 weeks were the parcel sitting in China customs.:wink: I'll just get new impressions today as Sunny sent me a picture on how they should look. I can clearly see what was wrong with mine, so the audiologist should have read the instructions more carefully.:)

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #4,368 of 7,980
Quote:
Already stated that 5 of the 6 weeks were the parcel sitting in China customs.:wink: I'll just get new impressions today as Sunny sent me a picture on how they should look. I can clearly see what was wrong with mine, so the audiologist should have read the instructions more carefully.:)

China customs....  that explains it

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #4,370 of 7,980
I think it does matter if the amp is operating in phase balanced config or it isn't balanced. Headphones are wired up and down phase for for individual channels and the chassis ground or earth is ignored since there is no chassis or need for shield in the headphone. 4 connections.
There is no ground so according to some members, it couldn't work.:wink_face: LOL I know I'm not telling you anything new.

There may be some grounding and impedance advantages to splitting cables and using a better connector than a miniplug for unbalanced setups but they are still unbalanced setups. Perhaps the term is used by some interchangeably but this would be a great time to curb that.:bigsmile_face:

Fundamentally, as long as you're not discussing electrostats (which need bias lines in addition to signal lines) all headphones connect to an external device through either three or four elements: a three-pin headphone connection is called "unbalanced" and a four-pin headphone connection is called "balanced".

I think it's an unfortunate evolution of syntax, but there it is. You're welcome to not use those words in that way. It's useful at least to know that this is what other people mean by them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #4,371 of 7,980

Quote:

Good to hear you picked the right CIEMs for your taste!

Are you able to adjust volume properly with the A18? I always thought that might be an issue when pairing the A18 with CIEMs.

[size=medium]I am not 100% sure what you mean but I will say this:[/size]

[size=medium]I find myself listening at about the 8:30 to 9:00 position, on average. This varies with the loudness of the recording and type of music. On Classical music I often find myself with the volume set at 10:00 or even a touch more.  Binaural recordings seem to need a higher setting as well.  [/size]

[size=medium]Both channels balance out almost right away (well before even a quiet listening setting). There is some background hiss apparent but I find it is only noticeable on the quietest of passages in between the music. I find the hiss of the Master tape on some recordings louder than the hiss from the amp. On most recordings I hear no background hiss from the amp at all.  [size=small]I could see there being issues for some people, but A18/8.A seem to work well together for me.[/size][/size]

[size=medium]Overall I quite enjoy the combination of A18 and heir 8.A. It is nice that the volume pot is NOT stepped and adjustments of small amounts are available.    Other's milage will likely vary.[/size]

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,372 of 7,980
Makes me think of a classic Seinfeld episode.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
edit:guess im wrong, they shrink.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #4,373 of 7,980
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with an 8.A and a Leckerton UHA-6S II? That’s the AMP I was using with my 4.A (to good effect) and I’m hoping to continue using it with my 8.A. Any thoughts?

Yep, I use this combo frequently and it sounds wonderful. I use the OPA209 and I personally think it's a better match with more headphones - the AD8610 seems a bit more exciting, which is good in some cases, but something I don't really feel the need for with the 8.A 
bigsmile_face.gif

I personally have yet to hear a portable amp that I like more than the UHA-6S II. Some are better in certain ways, but nothing that I've tried is a clear step up (granted I haven't heard everything out there). 

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,374 of 7,980
Quote:
Fundamentally, as long as you're not discussing electrostats (which need bias lines in addition to signal lines) all headphones connect to an external device through either three or four elements: a three-pin headphone connection is called "unbalanced" and a four-pin headphone connection is called "balanced".
I think it's an unfortunate evolution of syntax, but there it is. You're welcome to not use those words in that way. It's useful at least to know that this is what other people mean by them.

I can accept balanced headphone as opposed to balanced setup.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #4,375 of 7,980
Quote:
If a recipient denies a package, how long does China customs have to keep it before returning it?

If I can remember to ask "Echo" this question, she will have the answer.

If you ever have a detailed shipping question or a customs question, her e-mail is marketing@micro-dsp.com

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,376 of 7,980
Quote:

[size=medium]I am not 100% sure what you mean but I will say this:[/size]

[size=medium]I find myself listening at about the 9:00 to 9:30 position, on average. This varies with the loudness of the recording and type of music. On Classical music I often find myself with the volume set at 10:00 or even 11:00.  Binaural recordings seem to need a higher setting as well.  [/size]

[size=medium]Both channels balance out almost right away (well before even a quiet listening setting). There is some background hiss apparent but I find it is only noticeable on the quietest of passages in between the music. I find the hiss of the Master tape on some recordings louder than the hiss from the amp. On most recordings I hear no background hiss from the amp at all.  [size=small]I could see there being issues for some people, but these two seem to work well together for me.[/size][/size]

[size=medium]Overall I quite enjoy the combination of A18 and heir 8.A. It is nice that the volume pot is NOT stepped and adjustments of small amounts are available.    Other's milage will likely vary.[/size]

Despite not being sure what I meant you answered my question just fine
redface.gif

I had imagined that the A18 might become too loud too quick with CIEMs and not let the user make fine adjustments to the volume level. Nice to hear that is not the case. I'm sure it sounds great especially paired with the D18.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,377 of 7,980
I do use my D18//A18 combo for IEMs sometimes and find it to be hit and miss in terms of noise. In pure SQ it is fantastic but some IEMs are just too sensitive and therefore don't pair very well - JH13, Sensaphonics 3MAX, and pretty much all Westones fall in this group. Others are borderline depending on the music and my listening volume - I enjoy them as long as I'm not critically listening to some classical piece with lots of quiet passages. 8.A fits that category. And some work very well with little or no noise, such as the Tzar 350, Earproof Atom, and Lear LCM-5 with "Monitor Sound Tuned" adapter (which raises impedance to around 180 ohms). 

So in summary - A18 is not ideal for all IEMs, but the Heir 8.A and especially Tzar series do very well with it. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,378 of 7,980
Quote:
I do use my D18//A18 combo for IEMs sometimes and find it to be hit and miss in terms of noise. In pure SQ it is fantastic but some IEMs are just too sensitive and therefore don't pair very well - JH13, Sensaphonics 3MAX, and pretty much all Westones fall in this group. Others are borderline depending on the music and my listening volume - I enjoy them as long as I'm not critically listening to some classical piece with lots of quiet passages. 8.A fits that category. And some work very well with little or no noise, such as the Tzar 350, Earproof Atom, and Lear LCM-5 with "Monitor Sound Tuned" adapter (which raises impedance to around 180 ohms). 

So in summary - A18 is not ideal for all IEMs, but the Heir 8.A and especially Tzar series do very well with it.

Looking very much forward to your review of them! 
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4,379 of 7,980
Finally got my 4.As after having one pair stolen from through the mail. Fit seems to be right and the sound has been stellar. Everything about them has been first rate.

Now they just need to add an iPhone-mic cable and they will be absolutely perfect.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #4,380 of 7,980
Additional edit, for now I am going to try Boris Leung to make me a mic cable - who is mentioned on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/602534/after-market-cable-mic-for-ue-shure-westone-custom-etc-finally-bo-sir

And am sending him this letter (if someone speaks Chinese, feel free to reach out to him since I do not) - PM me if you are interested and I can let him know what level of interest there may be.

To: borisleung@pearhk.com
Subject: Custom cable for Heir audio

[size=small]Hello,[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I'd like to get a custom cable made for my Heir Audio 4.A with iPhone mic and controls. My understanding is that they use Westone connectors. Perfect cable would be black colour, high silver content, good mic, and blue and red tipped connectors to make it easy to do L and R.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] You can see one of their upgrade cables here:
http://www.heiraudio.com/Accessories.html
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Would you be able to do something like that? I know there would be other people interested as well.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I apologize that I do not speak Chinese...[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Thanks[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back