The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,988 of 7,980
I'm a little bummed I went with the otterbox as it's like 2 millimeters too small to fit my iPod classic. I might grab a Pelican 1010 to replace it.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,989 of 7,980
Quote:
Has anyone tried an OtterBox 1000 (http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-1000-20-Series-Waterproof-Case/dp/B001DZRA4K/)? It's slightly smaller than the Pelican 1000. Also, Otters.

I think the 1000s are the ones that come with the universal Heirs now. I got mine 2 days ago. Definitely more convenient than the 2000. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,990 of 7,980
Quote:
I'm a little bummed I went with the otterbox as it's like 2 millimeters too small to fit my iPod classic. I might grab a Pelican 1010 to replace it.

Sounds like a good idea!

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,991 of 7,980
Quote:

Eh, I'm not too worried about that in my case. It's literally just going to be for my customs and nothing else. I kind of wish there was a box that exactly fit them, but oh well.

Quote:
I think the 1000s are the ones that come with the universal Heirs now. I got mine 2 days ago. Definitely more convenient than the 2000. 

Yeah, that's why I'm interested. I'm going to be doing various holiday traveling later this year and I want something that I can toss in a bag to keep my headphones from being destroyed.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2,992 of 7,980
Quote:

Eh, I'm not too worried about that in my case. It's literally just going to be for my customs and nothing else. I kind of wish there was a box that exactly fit them, but oh well.

Yeah, that's why I'm interested. I'm going to be doing various holiday traveling later this year and I want something that I can toss in a bag to keep my headphones from being destroyed.

if its just for ur iems, i think the otterbox gets the job done nicely =)

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2,994 of 7,980
I know that the issue of control cables have been brought up quite a few times on this thread.  I myself need one and have been trying out some DIY variations of buying cheap headsets and putting connectors on for CIEMs.  My efforts all have failed because I can never get full control of my android Galaxy S.  I wanted to try the Pebble: E-Papper but I is not out yet, very nice but also expensive.  I've known that Sony Ericsson has a similar item called the LiveView but for some reason I chose to ignore it because in the back of my mind I kept thinking it was not a Android device.  Well I just bought one and for $26 you can use any cable and headphone and have full control of your phone.  Love it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,995 of 7,980
Quote:
I know that the issue of control cables have been brought up quite a few times on this thread.  I myself need one and have been trying out some DIY variations of buying cheap headsets and putting connectors on for CIEMs.  My efforts all have failed because I can never get full control of my android Galaxy S.  I wanted to try the Pebble: E-Papper but I is not out yet, very nice but also expensive.  I've known that Sony Ericsson has a similar item called the LiveView but for some reason I chose to ignore it because in the back of my mind I kept thinking it was not a Android device.  Well I just bought one and for $26 you can use any cable and headphone and have full control of your phone.  Love it.

I'm seriously considering to pick up a LiveView to use as remote for my DX100 now...

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2,996 of 7,980
Yay, had my first listen with my 8.As today, and they're every bit as great as people here have described. I used to not subscribe to the idea that an iem would pump out bass as the track called for, but that might be because I was using IE80s. Very very smooth and non fatiguing so far, am loving miles Davis's trumpet screaming on Bitches Brew. Also, the low gravelly notes that Louis Armstrong hits have some much power and body to them! May write up a review one day after exams, I'm sure another review on the 8a couldn't hurt, could it?

One small issue though, if it is an issue. I have a snug, well isolating fit on my right ear, but on my left if I get a fit just as snug, I hear nothing (perhaps the bores are being covered?) and so if I wiggle my jaw or tug a bit on the cable or the like, it'll crackle and sound like there's an issue with the left channel. But there isn't because with a bit more adjusting, I get a less snug fit but sound fully comes back! Does anyone else experience this?

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #2,997 of 7,980
Quote:
Yay, had my first listen with my 8.As today, and they're every bit as great as people here have described. I used to not subscribe to the idea that an iem would pump out bass as the track called for, but that might be because I was using IE80s. Very very smooth and non fatiguing so far, am loving miles Davis's trumpet screaming on Bitches Brew. Also, the low gravelly notes that Louis Armstrong hits have some much power and body to them! May write up a review one day after exams, I'm sure another review on the 8a couldn't hurt, could it?
One small issue though, if it is an issue. I have a snug, well isolating fit on my right ear, but on my left if I get a fit just as snug, I hear nothing (perhaps the bores are being covered?) and so if I wiggle my jaw or tug a bit on the cable or the like, it'll crackle and sound like there's an issue with the left channel. But there isn't because with a bit more adjusting, I get a less snug fit but some fully comes back! Does anyone else experience this?

It might be the cable not being firmly seated in the sockets. Try using needle-nose pliers to very carefully giving the pins a little squeeze so they'll grip the sockets tighter. 

Edit: And yeah, the 8.A is amazing, they do everything sooo well. What are you using to feed them?

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #2,998 of 7,980
It might be the cable not being firmly seated in the sockets. Try using needle-nose pliers to very carefully giving the pins a little squeeze so they'll grip the sockets tighter. 

Edit: And yeah, the 8.A is amazing, they do everything sooo well. What are you using to feed them?

No kidding, this worked! Thanks so much for the hint Sorensiim! (and credit to the Wizard too who I now remember also pointed this out before)

Am feeding this with 320kbps/FLAC >> (Soon to be diymodded) iPod video 5g >> lod>> Pico Slim
Next step, a source upgrade! But pretty chuffed with how it is at the moment!

Thanks again mate, and hope you're loving your 8.As too Sorensiim!

EDIT: dammit now I don't want to take these out of my ears! But I need to study gah dilemmas

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #2,999 of 7,980
No kidding, this worked! Thanks so much for the hint Sorensiim! (and credit to the Wizard too who I now remember also pointed this out before)
Am feeding this with 320kbps/FLAC >> (Soon to be diymodded) iPod video 5g >> lod>> Pico Slim
Next step, a source upgrade! But pretty chuffed with how it is at the moment!
Thanks again mate, and hope you're loving your 8.As too Sorensiim!
EDIT: dammit now I don't want to take these out of my ears! But I need to study gah dilemmas

I love how the 8.A will sound good out of almost anything, yet scale really well as you upgrade the chain...

How does the 8.A and studying exclude each other?

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #3,000 of 7,980
Quote:
I love how the 8.A will sound good out of almost anything, yet scale really well as you upgrade the chain...
How does the 8.A and studying exclude each other?

Yknow what, I think these things helped me power through 4 hours of study, about the human ear and auditory system too. I should now be able to tell you now why these things sound good! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back