The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #2,911 of 7,980
I'm the elephant in the room. And I did hear the 4.A and 4.Ai very differently, which doesn't bode well for my ability to judge a CIEM from its demo model. :frowning2:

I recently had the opportunty to try both a demo model and the final custom-built version of the same design (from a different custom IEM manufacturer). They also sounded different in noticeable ways. In brief, I found the demo version more closed-in and distant, with less slam in the bass.

This does not make me suspect poor quality control or an attempt to mislead; the demo IEMs had a very shallow insertion and used Comply-style tips to fit, which makes for a differently sized-and-shaped air chamber in the ear canal compared to the custom-fit version. So it's important for the demo to faithfully replicate the general character and quality of the custom earphones, but an exact sound match is probably impossible.

So I thought I'll show you all what a mirror finish is like. 

Outstanding! Is that colored carbon fiber inside the logo? I can't even imagine how it's possible to make carbon fiber inlay.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #2,912 of 7,980
Quote:

Understated yet powerful. Very nice. What woods are these?

Not sure, may be the wizard can weight in on that 
blink.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2,913 of 7,980
Quote:
Outstanding! Is that colored carbon fiber inside the logo? I can't even imagine how it's possible to make carbon fiber inlay.

Looks like the red carbon fiber to me...

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #2,914 of 7,980
Quote:
Damn... just damn. Gorgeous! Now I know what I want for my next upgrade :D

Haha, thank you! I'm amazed how well it turned out too!

Thank you! Yup, it's carbon fiber! According to The Wizard, the mirror faceplate is on top of the carbon fiber faceplate, but the logo window is only cut out on the mirror faceplate[size=small][/size]

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,918 of 7,980
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,920 of 7,980
Heir Audio are damn wonderful and really go that extra mile to serve their customers! 
My mother happened to be in china recently, so I asked them if they were able to build my CIEMs and have them sent to my mother before 6/11/12 , the day she left/leaves. This way I could avoid [size=small][/size] $200AUD in taxes. 
The engineers strived finish off my CIEMS, Sunny emailed me my confirmation, and they were shipped out on Monday, and arrived at my Mother's today, 20 minutes before she had to leave for the airport.
If that's not efficient service, I don't know what is! Massive kudos to the team at Heir Audio, from the Wizard to the Customer Service staff and Engineers!

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #2,921 of 7,980
They are remaking my lost ones as a priority build! Now i just have to figure out how to get refunded my customs payment.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2,922 of 7,980
Quote:
They are remaking my lost ones as a priority build! Now i just have to figure out how to get refunded my customs payment.

Quote:
Heir Audio are damn wonderful and really go that extra mile to serve their customers! 
My mother happened to be in china recently, so I asked them if they were able to build my CIEMs and have them sent to my mother before 6/11/12 , the day she left/leaves. This way I could avoid [size=small][/size] $200AUD in taxes. 
The engineers strived finish off my CIEMS, Sunny emailed me my confirmation, and they were shipped out on Monday, and arrived at my Mother's today, 20 minutes before she had to leave for the airport.
If that's not efficient service, I don't know what is! Massive kudos to the team at Heir Audio, from the Wizard to the Customer Service staff and Engineers!

Nice. In a business where your reputation is only as good as your most recent customer feedback, Heir continues to impress. 

And as usual, I keep thinking "there's no way Wizard can top that last design..." And then he goes and does it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back