The "WINDOWS 7 IS FREAKING AWESOME!" thread.
Oct 26, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #256 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On what do you base this statement?

The operating systems I have infront of me.
Go have a poke around.
*sigh*
I love how we are in an age of advanced simplicity, and yet no one does anything for themselves.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #257 of 289
Anyone here dual booting a Mac with Win 7?

I'm considering switching to a mac for my next laptop, and was wanting to run Windows 7 as well so I can handle my engineering applications.

I'll most likely buy a 13" Macbook Pro.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #258 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because I have an opinion and it disagrees with you doesn't make me a troll. A large number of consumers are not happy with windows 7. You only need to go onto uncensored anonymous boards to see it (other boards that arent anonymous results in pack mentality and flaming verse the person who is not afraid to speak up. And look, it's hapening here).

Anonymous forums only prevent people from holding you responsible for your ignorant troll posts, not so here Mr. Green. Maybe you should go back to 4chan.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #260 of 289
I get the feeling Mr green hasn't actually used Win 7 yet.

I think it's a great inprovement over Vista, and is considerably more user friendly, stable, and quicker than XP on my machine. And it runs just fine on my wife's Netbook, which vista did not.

Oh and it installed perfectly, all devices working with no intervention needed. Try that with XP - don't forget your driver discs.

WMP's on the fly transcoding is nice for my little clip too.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #261 of 289
I never used Vista because I was worried about all the issues I heard about it. Plus, my old laptop probably wasn't capable of running it efficiently.

I got my new laptop around a month ago (I ordered it with XP Pro x86) and installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on it last week. The installation went smoothly (once I found out how to create and then burn the .iso since the installation program wouldn't work (going from XP x86 to Windows 7 x64). The only drivers I had to manually install was the fingerprint reader and the Lenovo-specific ones (Power Manager, Hotkeys, etc.) Other than that, my laptop had full functionality straight from the installation (wireless, display drivers, etc. all were installed automatically).

It feels faster than XP, and features like Aero Snap are great. I also find the new taskbar really nice looking and useful. The rest of the eye-candy isn't anything to complain about either!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #262 of 289
Got it yesterday [free upgrade] and to be honest I'm not amazed at all. The only useful feature for me is snap. Compared to Vista, it's better but not OMGWTFBBQ better. Of course, I'll be sticking with it and won't be going back to Vista on my main rig. Gaming pc will be keeping Vista.

Guess as a late adopter of Vista, I missed the debug party so my experience was pleasant.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #263 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Free upgrade? In most parts of the world in order to get windows 7 for free you had to buy vista 40 days ago.
You barely have to open your eyes.
regarding the price of windows 7. 7 ultimate in GBP

So? How many people need full copy of Ultimate? Maybe 10 in your whole country, if that. The Home and Pro prices are quite reasonable, and recent buyers can get an upgrade free.

Quote:

I will move to windows 7 on all computers during the summer holidays, however this doesnt mean I need to be silent about the bullcrap microsoft pulls. They've done it before and got away with it (windows 98), i'll be damned if I stay silent while they forceupdate people to new things at a high cost because they are greedy bastards.

Where and how are they force-upgrading anyone? It seems to me like your employer has decided they like Windows 7, and are choosing to move to it. Microsoft is still comfortably supporting Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, with 2000 being the only one about to meet up with Atropos.

Quote:

Ever wonder why it looks, runs and feels like vista? because it is vista.

No, it's an updated OS based on Vista. If it were Vista, doing the simplest things, like adjusting colors, or getting to network settings, or a million other things, would be much more annoying, and I wouldn't be using it. The cake of Vista was quite good. The frosting was that nasty crap from a can. However, they went and improved the cake in ways that may not have been safe to do for Vista, while they were making better frosting.

Quote:

With a hint of this of course
(image)
Look familiar?

Not really. KDE is usually not that ugly. Typically, it looks better than Windows 7. It's not news that MS ripped off features from KDE. KDE gets that a lot.

Quote:

Everyone is being forced if they want to use an OS.

Please. For the cost of a blank CD, and broadband internet, you can get many fine operating systems, with boatloads of software available. Quote:

XP is incapable of DX10 and DX11 last time i checked, and Vista is going to have no more support in a few years.

Yet, most games still run on XP, and it and Vista still have 4+ years of support. It's something you can wait on and worry about when those few years are nearing an end, or if you want to play certain games that need those features more than you want to save the money a new OS costs.

Quote:

Userland has always been configurable in vista to ~~~windows 7.

How? I sure haven't seen any way to do it. Is there a magic 3rd-party utility that replaces ~10% of Control Panel, rearranges often-used menus, etc.?

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #264 of 289
Did anyone here buy a Dell when they were having the free Windows 7 upgrade promotion? I registered for it and they said they would email me about it when Windows 7 came out but I haven't heard anything back from them.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #265 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone here buy a Dell when they were having the free Windows 7 upgrade promotion? I registered for it and they said they would email me about it when Windows 7 came out but I haven't heard anything back from them.

If it's anything like Lenovo's "free" Windows 7 upgrade, it's not really free. They are charging $17 for "shipping/handling" for the upgrade disks, and you can only get it in the corresponding version (e.g. Vista Business x86 -> Windows 7 Professional x86).

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #266 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's anything like Lenovo's "free" Windows 7 upgrade, it's not really free. They are charging $17 for "shipping/handling" for the upgrade disks, and you can only get it in the corresponding version (e.g. Vista Business x86 -> Windows 7 Professional x86).

Well they did tell me that part, but I haven't received anything from Dell about it.

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #267 of 289
2006 intel imac here, dualing win7 ult and leopard.

no problems whatsoever, very happy with it all Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here dual booting a Mac with Win 7?

I'm considering switching to a mac for my next laptop, and was wanting to run Windows 7 as well so I can handle my engineering applications.

I'll most likely buy a 13" Macbook Pro.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #270 of 289
Whats the least amount of space I could allocate to OSX?

I'm thinking of giving Win 7 a fair amount of space since I actually need to install quiet a few enginering programs that run only on windwos.

Also, 64-bit or 32-bit? I'd prefer to install 64-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back