The WickedSchiit Meet - New England - Nov 18th, 2018

Will you be attending

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #91 of 115
That Audeze bucket is impressive. You're doing a great job running this, top notch. I was going to bring my Sony MDR-1A, with Meze 99 pads, which is still nice, but a game changing experience had me sell those quickly. I compared them to a new pair of Shure SRH-1540 and other than having more low sub bass, the Sony were (as expected) inferior in every way. Except there still is a bit of treble zing (on otherwise warmish cans) that bugged me on the SRH-1540. I put on non-angled NVX pads. NVX is a clone of the HM5. The pads are similar however the NVX are more supple, slightly thinner, so better comfort and bass vs. HM5 pads. The treble peak is gone, better mids. The only downside is slightly more resonance as it doesn't absorb reflections like Alcantara pads would but this is rarely noticed, and a slight loss of low sub bass extension. The sound is also more enveloping, almost reference quality.

The only closed cans I'd heard superior were ZMF Eikon, Sony Z1R, and of course the Sennheiser HD820. All more costly and bulky. So it's these and a HD58X as main drivers. They complement each other nicely given the slightly leaner (but still best in its Sennheiser class) bass on the HD58X. I use the $10 (on Amazon) Boom Cloud 360 Boom Stick with it, when seeking the same output level as the Shure, similar bass, and a more 3D sound. That's kind of a secret weapon to beat the closed in (but still well staged) Sennheiser sound we found common in this line (the 500 and 600 series). If the Sennheiser HD58X and HD6-- models will be plentiful, I'll just bring the stick and the Shure perhaps. I won't have a table, I'll just be wandering around testing stuff. Is that okay? I've never been to one of these and don't want to be out of place. I'm usually the tallest person in the room, so I stand out enough usually.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #92 of 115
That Audeze bucket is impressive. You're doing a great job running this, top notch. I was going to bring my Sony MDR-1A, with Meze 99 pads, which is still nice, but a game changing experience had me sell those quickly. I compared them to a new pair of Shure SRH-1540 and other than having more low sub bass, the Sony were (as expected) inferior in every way. Except there still is a bit of treble zing (on otherwise warmish cans) that bugged me on the SRH-1540. I put on non-angled NVX pads. NVX is a clone of the HM5. The pads are similar however the NVX are more supple, slightly thinner, so better comfort and bass vs. HM5 pads. The treble peak is gone, better mids. The only downside is slightly more resonance as it doesn't absorb reflections like Alcantara pads would but this is rarely noticed, and a slight loss of low sub bass extension. The sound is also more enveloping, almost reference quality.

The only closed cans I'd heard superior were ZMF Eikon, Sony Z1R, and of course the Sennheiser HD820. All more costly and bulky. So it's these and a HD58X as main drivers. They complement each other nicely given the slightly leaner (but still best in its Sennheiser class) bass on the HD58X. I use the $10 (on Amazon) Boom Cloud 360 Boom Stick with it, when seeking the same output level as the Shure, similar bass, and a more 3D sound. That's kind of a secret weapon to beat the closed in (but still well staged) Sennheiser sound we found common in this line (the 500 and 600 series). If the Sennheiser HD58X and HD6-- models will be plentiful, I'll just bring the stick and the Shure perhaps. I won't have a table, I'll just be wandering around testing stuff. Is that okay? I've never been to one of these and don't want to be out of place. I'm usually the tallest person in the room, so I stand out enough usually.
Thank you!! This is my first meet that I'm planning. It has been a lot of work but very rewarding. I'm seriously looking forward to Sunday.

I have wanted to try the Shures for a while. I came close to buying those several times. I have the 1540 pads which are serously good.

I just got the Eikons yesterday and I'm seriously impressed.

Totally fine. At this point we are running low on table space anyway.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #93 of 115
For those of you that are a maybe can you please PM me with the portability of you coming? I need to sort out the numbers for catering ASAP. Thanks!!

If you've voted that are coming AND don't see your name or gear on the list can you please PM me with the details.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #95 of 115
Getting all my stuff packed up, damn, realizing how much I actually have. Looking forward meeting everyone and getting feedback on my set-ups and listening to others. Going to be fun...

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #96 of 115
Getting all my stuff packed up, damn, realizing how much I actually have. Looking forward meeting everyone and getting feedback on my set-ups and listening to others. Going to be fun...
I know how you feel!! I have 7 Schiit stacks to bring, set up and break down! So worth it!

Same here! I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and some other I have met a past meets.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #97 of 115
awww hell, I really wish I noticed this weeks ago. One day before the meet is not enough time. This is an anual thing right??? I've always wanted to go to a Can Jam, but Maine does't have too many.... Westborough however, is only about an hour & a half away!

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #98 of 115
awww hell, I really wish I noticed this weeks ago. One day before the meet is not enough time. This is an anual thing right??? I've always wanted to go to a Can Jam, but Maine does't have too many.... Westborough however, is only about an hour & a half away!
I will probably set it up again next year. The interest has been pretty good and there aren't too many events in the North East! Hopefully you can make it next year.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #99 of 115
I have cards made up to list what I have on display. The one thing I forgot was to add that many things I am bringing can be considered for sale. Please ask me if you are interested in anything that I have.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #100 of 115
Can't wait for tomorrow. I'm going to kill two birds with one stone... gonna bail at around 3 to make my way back to Fairfield County, CT and make a pit stop at Tree House. Super stoked! Lately it's my favorite beer.

I'm a little bummed - my All In One Streamer DAC project isn't done yet. Chassis isn't ready. However, I will bring a DAC that I built a few years back that is the genesis for this current project. It has a bunch of similar components - ES9023 based with JG Buffer. Also in lieu of not having the "The Wire" portion of the AIO streamer, I'm going to bring my normal Wire amp.

So... I'll have my DIY ES9023 USB based DAC, 6DJ8 tube amp (made for high impedance cans), and The Wire (a wire with gain) amp which is an all-around great amp for both current hungry phones and higher impedance cans that love some nice voltage swing.

Cans: I'm still doing the Atticus, HD800S, and AKG 7XX. Maybe something else.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #101 of 115
@Mullet
Love treehouse. At the hotel right now drinking some.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #104 of 115
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread