The way I see it... suspicion on some head-fiers
Mar 31, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #62 of 102
Pretzels and their delicious hybrids are loved by all, there is little need for active promotion.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #63 of 102
Tell me something I don't know.
tongue.gif
No need for suspicion, who doesn't know some of these types exist on Head-Fi? At least they're vastly outnumbered by mere fanboys.

Oh and btw, yes I admit it. It's true. I am a shill of the highest order. A mysterious G-man pays me to inform the public. o_O

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #64 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me something I don't know.
tongue.gif
No need for suspicion, who doesn't know some of these types exist on Head-Fi? At least they're vastly outnumbered by mere fanboys.

Oh and btw, yes I admit it. It's true. I am a shill of the highest order. A mysterious G-man pays me to inform the public. o_O

Who you callin' a mere fanboy? I'm quite an extraordinary fanboy thank you very much.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #66 of 102
Maybe I used a too strong word on my original post... It's been less than 24 hours that I posted my first thought, and this post has been removed to General Discussion and many discussions have been made already. I posted this originally in Headphone amp section because I was reading a thread introducing a new amp and I had a sense of suspicions that "it just isn't right". It was the second thread like that I read in last three weeks or so that a junior member introduces a certain product, and within few days, the original manufacture jumps into the forum. Who really knows what is going on, but I wanted share my thought with others to see if I am the only one who is being too skeptical or if other people feels like me this time to time.

I have to stress one thing that I haven't noticed such sense of shill going on not too often. And, I do strongly believe that many users of this forum is genuine and authentic. I strongly believe that. And, I also don't believe even if there may be some financial interest involved that the amount in question won't be substantial. After all, it's not like someone sells a million amps in this forum.

However, when I saw and still seeing some reviewers always praises a new product (from a well or somewhat established product lines) to the end of the moon. But, never he answers "directly" when other users ask to compare that product among other he just praises about few weeks ago. Maybe it's the relationship with the manufacturer that he won't want to compare between two. Maybe he really believes that they cannot be compared, but they are both good. Well, as people can see from the number of my post, I am still a newbie in here as well as in hifi audio gears in general. So, I may not ultimately understand how to review an audio products.

Anyway, if I used a too strong word in my original post and offended anyone, then I am sorry about it. It was like 5 am in the morning (I know I shouldn't be head-fiying in such hours, but it's a bad habit lately) and I was a little too emotional.

I think I was relieved to see that there are many others like me out there. And, I think it would be beneficial to this forum in a long run to establish that there are some or many skeptical users like me. Well, I am not brave enough to say to anyone "hey! you are the one I think is a shill," and I will never do that. After all, I really don't want to offend anyone with a false accusation. However, thank you all for sharing your thoughts whether it may be both a positive support or a considerate advice not too be too skeptical.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #67 of 102
I don't know. Sometimes i suspect as much when i see a product defended or boosted beyond all reason.

But not all rampant fanboyism is suspect. I mean, sure, there are people who will recommend grados for any purpose - even if the requirements specified closed headphones. But I have a hard time believing that John Grado would pay for such poorly executed viral marketing. Not more than once, anyway.

And it's obvious, for example, that if Sennheiser thought they'd try their hand at it, they haven't tried very hard, or certainly haven't paid for a lasting presence.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #68 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who you callin' a mere fanboy? I'm quite an extraordinary fanboy thank you very much.

hahaha

Quote:

You're extraordinary in more ways than one, Fitz.

Do I sense a sexual tension...? JK
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #69 of 102
Quote:

You're extraordinary in more ways than one, Fitz.

Yeah yeah I know, I'm still raising money for the enlargement surgery. So will you just drop it ok?

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #70 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to stress one thing that I haven't noticed such sense of shrill going on not too often. And, I do strongly believe that many users of this forum is genuine and authentic. I strongly believe that. And, I also don't believe even if there may be some financial interest involved that the amount in question won't be substantial. After all, it's not like someone sells a million amps in this forum.

However, when I saw and still seeing some reviewers always praises a new product (from a well or somewhat established product lines) to the end of the moon. But, never he answers "directly" when other users ask to compare that product among other he just praises about few weeks ago. Maybe it's the relationship with the manufacturer that he won't want to compare between two. Maybe he really believes that they cannot be compared, but they are both good. Well, as people can see from the number of my post, I am still a newbie in here as well as in hifi audio gears in general. So, I may not ultimately understand how to review an audio products.

The word is "shill".

And in defense of people who sometimes ignore requests at comparison: Maybe he hasn't heard the amp you want to compare it to?

And some people seem to never hold onto an item long enough to get over the new toy syndrome. So all they ever have to say about it is positive.

I have a whole lot of headphones. More than 50 pair. It's silly. But for a whole bunch of them, if you asked me to compare two of them directly, I'd have to spend a couple hours comparing them. And unless i'm really actually interested in comparing them, I'll probably just brush you off.

And for example, someone asked me for my thoughts on the K401 recently, and although i've had it for a year and I'm pretty sure i like it, i had to admit that i have no strong opinions about it as of yet.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #71 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And for example, someone asked me for my thoughts on the K401 recently, and although i've had it for a year and I'm pretty sure i like it, i had to admit that i have no strong opinions about it as of yet.

Yes, yes you do like it. You like it very much.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #72 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The word is "shill".

And in defense of people who sometimes ignore requests at comparison: Maybe he hasn't heard the amp you want to compare it to?

And some people seem to never hold onto an item long enough to get over the new toy syndrome. So all they ever have to say about it is positive.

I have a whole lot of headphones. More than 50 pair. It's silly. But for a whole bunch of them, if you asked me to compare two of them directly, I'd have to spend a couple hours comparing them. And unless i'm really actually interested in comparing them, I'll probably just brush you off.

corrected! however, I don't think you read my post correctly. I was referring to one who reviewed say A and praised sky high. Then, review B few weeks later and again praises to the moon. Then, when someone asks btw two, he never really answers.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #73 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
corrected! however, I don't think you read my post correctly. I was referring to one who reviewed say A and praised sky high. Then, review B few weeks later and again praises to the moon. Then, when someone asks btw two, he never really answers.

Yeah, I realize that now. And yeah, that's kinda suspicious.

Playing devil's advocate here - maybe they just have fairly weak character and don't want to admit that they were full of crap when they reviewed product A which they have now sold.

I mean, you do have to wonder, the way some people here will shout the praises of their latest toy from the rooftops, and then sell it a few weeks later.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #75 of 102
Interesting thread. Personally, I tend to put the onus on the reader. If you apply some common sense and intelligence when perusing posts then people would do just fine. If a new product pops up that is receiving heaps of praise, do your homework. If someone is going to be so loose with their money that they blindly make a purchase due to a few excited members posting gobs of praise then that is their choice. Yes, posting should carry an inherent sense of responsibility that I think most take for granted. In this day and age of anonymous communications, people are more likely to say things they normally wouldn't if in a face-to-face. All the more reason to be that much more cautious.

Personally, I think in general it is all in good fun. Yes, there will be some bad apples - just about impossible to avoid when this popular. But in large I think Head-Fi has been able to keep to its intended purpose. For that, I say a big hats off to Jude and all the Mods for their ongoing efforts towards this intention!!

On a different note but since it has been used a fair amount in this thread...

I'm a bit tired of the label "fanboy" that seems to have developed into a derogatory term. I think people have their own versions of its meaning. If someone thinks someone a fanboy because they are such fanatics about a brand that said brand can do no wrong or there is absolutely nothing better than a specific product then, yes, I would disagree with such blind devotion. But if a fanboy is someone who absolutely loves a certain product and espouses its virtues then so be it. Yes, sometimes they can be annoying if they constantly sing praises but this seems to be the exception. This is a very subjective hobby we are in and if you latch onto something that sparks your audio listening fire then it is hard not to get excited about it and share it with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back