The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #81,646 of 93,307
As far as I understand it, the Mac's volume settings are bypassed by the USB-C connect between it and the DC-Elite (or any DAC/AMP connected that way).
Ah ok. That's how my RU7 behaves as well. When it's connected to my PC, I can only control volume on the RU7.

However, when the RU7 is connected to my phone, I can control volume both on my phone and the RU7. I max the volume on the phone and control volume on the RU7.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #81,647 of 93,307
If you compare the top selling smartphone in USA vs Japan, you can see the instant gratification culture of USA: all top 3 in USA are various iPhone 15, while in Japan, many of them, including the top selling one, are older iPhones.

The average Japanese consumer also has a lot less disposable income vs the average American.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #81,648 of 93,307
I am once again looking at IEM tips to add to the collection next...

Azla Vivid / Crystal / XELASTEC ?

Final Audio Type E clear/red ?

Tangzu Sancai wide bore ?

My top 3 are Divinus Velvet, Eletech Baroque and Final type E (Black). The longer I have spent with CORIER Brass, the more I dislike it, makes things very echoy. Curious to hear opinions, if so inclined :) Will mostly be in use on Szalayi so if you have that extra points.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #81,649 of 93,307

My top 3 are Divinus Velvet, Eletech Baroque and Final type E (Black). The longer I have spent with CORIER Brass, the more I dislike it, makes things very echoy. Curious to hear opinions, if so inclined :) Will mostly be in use on Szalayi so if you have that extra points.
TRI Clarion tips are one of my personal favorite for szalayi! Highly recommended 👍

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #81,650 of 93,307

Spinfit Omnis have been working great on basically everything I've tried them on. Currently using them on Z1R and RN6. I think the stock Penon green core tips aren't recommended often enough for how good they are, but you probably already have those.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #81,651 of 93,307

Over the last month or so I've tried the Eletech Baroques, Spinfit W1s, Divinus Velvets, and Penon Liqueurs (black). Like you, I'd say the Velvets are the best of them and what I'm currently using. Excellent texture akin to the Type E, but a better fit on the TS-316. The Baroques don't work as well for me with them, at least in a size small, because the nozzle feels like it's touching my inner ear due to the short height they have. The Liqueurs have the best sticking effect by far, but they feel "cheap" and due to the texture have a slightly similar irritating feeling to Xelastecs (albeit not as bad). Not saying they're terrible by any means, but they have a certain feel you have to like.

I don't think you can do much better than the Velvets right now and they come in an all sizes kit which is nice.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #81,652 of 93,307
IMG_4462.jpeg

Annihilator on the violetric v550 is a resolution monster….my god 😩🔥🎶❤️ (feat TRI Clarion tips) 👌

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #81,653 of 93,307

The Tangzu Sancai tips are good for IEMs that give me pressure buildup issues, but they don't seal well so there's noticeable loss in bass. I've replaced them with the Divinus Velvets and haven't gone back.

One of my new favorites are the JVC Spiral Dot ++ tips. They're very comfortable and they've tamed the sibilance of the Crimson without losing any of the air or sparkle.

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #81,654 of 93,307
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #81,656 of 93,307
Enjoying a nice visit with @SBranson.

@SBranson had to make you try the latest TGX buds, didn't he ? :smile:

Even though :
I've heard TGX buds compared favorably to the Traillii by more than one person. But as has been said the lack of isolation is a huge and limiting factor. Fit can be an issue for some-- I gave up trying to use buds because I can never get the fit consistently right so it sounds the same in both ears. Channel mis-matching is one of my biggest pet peeves and the most frustrating aspect of buds for me.
Still no luck fitting them ?

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #81,657 of 93,307
I've long said it takes a certain type of person with a certain type of hearing to detect this so-called hiss on these sensitive IEMs. Those people are generally also disturbed by dog whistles, and I wouldn't put it past them to react to sonar waves typically only heard by bats. YMMV.
I actually really hate the noise that the sonar devices for your door, garden or car produce, that is supposed to scare wild animals. I hear this sound through headphones with music blasting, with ANC on, everything. It is highly annoying and unnerving and to me it is ridiculous that it is allowed to randomly blast sonic torture into my ears for walking along the street. 😅 YMMV :wink:

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #81,658 of 93,307
TRI Clarion tips are one of my personal favorite for szalayi! Highly recommended 👍
sweet i always forgot about these lol, cheap enough to just order without thinking.
Spinfit Omnis have been working great on basically everything I've tried them on. Currently using them on Z1R and RN6. I think the stock Penon green core tips aren't recommended often enough for how good they are, but you probably already have those.
How do the Omni compare to the W1? I liked those a lot.

I like the Penon green tips, they don't work for everything tho, sometimes they have seal issues. I was planning on getting the liqeuer ones along with some cables but honestly, Penon has me feeling burnt out. Their website absolutely sucks, not really feeling good about throwing money at them.

Over the last month or so I've tried the Eletech Baroques, Spinfit W1s, Divinus Velvets, and Penon Liqueurs (black). Like you, I'd say the Velvets are the best of them and what I'm currently using. Excellent texture akin to the Type E, but a better fit on the TS-316. The Baroques don't work as well for me with them, at least in a size small, because the nozzle feels like it's touching my inner ear due to the short height they have. The Liqueurs have the best sticking effect by far, but they feel "cheap" and due to the texture have a slightly similar irritating feeling to Xelastecs (albeit not as bad). Not saying they're terrible by any means, but they have a certain feel you have to like.

I don't think you can do much better than the Velvets right now and they come in an all sizes kit which is nice.
ya I def need to order some more Velvets in the largest size. would like them on more sets.
The Tangzu Sancai tips are good for IEMs that give me pressure buildup issues, but they don't seal well so there's noticeable loss in bass. I've replaced them with the Divinus Velvets and haven't gone back.

One of my new favorites are the JVC Spiral Dot ++ tips. They're very comfortable and they've tamed the sibilance of the Crimson without losing any of the air or sparkle.
I have those JVC onces and cant find a set i like them with :/

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #81,659 of 93,307
sweet i always forgot about these lol, cheap enough to just order without thinking.

How do the Omni compare to the W1? I liked those a lot.

I like the Penon green tips, they don't work for everything tho, sometimes they have seal issues. I was planning on getting the liqeuer ones along with some cables but honestly, Penon has me feeling burnt out. Their website absolutely sucks, not really feeling good about throwing money at them.

ya I def need to order some more Velvets in the largest size. would like them on more sets.

I have those JVC onces and cant find a set i like them with :/
Yea, the TRI Clarions should be good if you want to boost the treble on the SZA.

The Omni is pretty similar to the W1 in sound and stickiness. They're just a shorter/stubbier version. I like the fit and sound of all my Spinfits, but their silicone material makes my ear canals itchy after a while so I've stopped using them.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #81,660 of 93,307
Which TGX buds compared favorably to the Traillii?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back