The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #81,406 of 93,307
❤️ Mason FS (Soleil Tombé) Initial Impressions ❤️
Hi all! I am eager to share some first impressions of the much discussed Mason FS. I remember when the previous generation Mason FS launched, many were dubious of the Trailli-like price however over time Mason proved itself among the summit class IEMs. Fast forward 3 years from Mason FS's introduction in 2021, we have the new generation Mason FS with all new technology (such as the BC Turbo) and tuning. Such learnings from previous models such as Mentor and even the previous collaboration with Cayin, the Amber Pearl (AP). As an owner of Mason Fusang and Amber Pearl, I didn’t know what to expect with the new generation Mason FS. I anticipated the new Mason FS to be a step above AP given the new technology, however this isn’t necessarily the case (and in a good way).

Overall tuning is similar to Fusang, as a member of the Mason series, this makes sense. This is where the similarities to Fusang end. Mason FS has the strong technical foundation I get from AP however the focus of the tuning has shifted from the bass region to the mids. AP excels with bringing the beat of a song alive, getting your foot to thump with the melody. Mason FS brings the organic source, the vocal (or the solo instrumental) to life. This is evident with the 3D representation of the vocal, how each ebb and flow in a singer is riding a wave, the BCD keeping up with the resolution of the set. The graininess of the voice is amplified with the emotion of the singer, which results with a tactile granularity (texture) which I haven’t heard with any other set. This 'zone focus' of the mids on Mason FS reminds me a little Aroma Jewel, particularly how the Jewel allows the mids to shine brightly with other elements of the technialities taking a back seat (ie restrained bass and relaxed treble).

Where Mason FS falls short, is where Mason as a series falls short for my tastes. The tuning in the bass region and overall tuning is flatter. I love UM Mason series, my Mason Fusang has the most hours on it out of all my high end IEMs. However I could not live with Mason Fusang as my only IEM, as I prefer more bass and rhythm in my playback. Mason FS plays it's role perfectly as a reference mid centric set, where as AP is a bass set which happens to have class leading mid performance. However AP is only second to Mason FS with mid performance, as I think the Turbo driver in the Mason FS gives the even more Bone Conduction feel in the mids. The Turbo certainly plays its role as the BC booster, one can tell immediately when listening to a saxophone solo, piano and vocal. The BC Turbo technology is marvelous and I feel is in its natural home in the Mason series.

Comparing with my Mason Fusang, the new Mason FS is a quantum leap. The Mason Fusang is darker, hazier, much less definition by comparison. However I do enjoy the Mason Fusang, as it’s like a small jazz club with cigar smoke lingering in the air. Perhaps you can seek the singer through the smoke, perhaps not. However you are getting the emotion with a bone conduction, and the Mason tuning hits the right spot for me with these type of songs.

A fun part was listening back to back with the new Mason FS and Campfire Trifecta. Trifecta has the hazy-ish nature of Fusang and is darker. However the three DD’s gives substance to the voice like the BC from AP. However the Trifecta is unable to bring forward the resolution or achieve the microdynamics in the texture as UM's bone conduction technology can. The defn/detail isn’t like FS at all, and Trifecta can't keep up with busy passages as the 3DD's lend to a slower performance. However you get some of that density and impact as you would from the palladium BC. The bass of Trifecta does attempt to compensate, however I'm not getting the vivid 'life energy' I have from Mason FS. With acid jazz or hip hop (or anything leaning on a strong beat), I will reach for Trifecta but for classical solos, pure vocal, I will reach for Mason FS 10 times out of 10.

Anyone thinking UM pulled a fast one w/ AP vs FS, don’t worry. AP owners didn’t get bamboozled. UM really gave Cayin the best they had, but were sure not to give Cayin the signature UM ‘mids at all cost’ Mason signature. This is all preference. While I would def pick FS over AP for the vocals, I just can’t have fun with music like I do with AP, vocals be damned. For me, mid bass>mids. I love Cayin's tuning, as Amber Pearl IEM represents Cayin's purest expression of it, even if Cayin's technology struggles at times to keep up with their vision. Please note, the new Mason FS is larger than Amber Pearl. The new Mason FS is at my limits for IEM volume. I can wear it comfortably however, UM's shell geometry does not disappoint. For reference of my shell size tolerance, I find Empire Ear Odin shell too large for sessions over 15-20 minutes, and of course Empire Ear EVO is a non starter.

I walk away from Mason FS being very impressed. UM managed to boost BC driver performance so it can play with the resolution of the set, this is the ultimate balance of presence and detail which many of us chase. The downside of this set however, isn’t specific to the FS. It’s the fact with Mason series sets, you will not be rocking out with it. It’s focused for a particular set list. Solos, duets, jazz, vocal, classical instrumental. It lacks the stage for full orchestra, the champ for this goes to Elysian X for now. Some would say the ultimate transducer can place you in the concert hall. UM redefines the benchmark. Why settle for being in the concert hall, when you can become the one who plays the instrument and feel the vibrations yourself.

Mason FS starts at $6199

IMG_0183.PNG
🥩 👀🍿🥤

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #81,407 of 93,307
good beat
I think that defines the R in PRaT.

Beat.png

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #81,408 of 93,307
Received my Susvara today, honestly cant get the hands of the thing. Its such a good pairing with Holo Bliss and May. The Annihilator 2023 that came the same day got very brief listen but I am very impressed, its nothing I read in the reviews, with brightish tonality and dryness. Its highly detailed, but warmish deep, engaging sound profile with beautifully lush treble and great mids. Only the bass falls out of the overall great impression, its bit plasticly and lacks resolution. I will write down few notes comparing it to Jewel and Traillii, but one thing is sure - Jewel is going home and Anni with Traillii will stay. Couldnt connect to Jewel at all in the end, just dont feel the price and dont feel like the soundscape is coming together well. The original cost of over 5k is pretty bewildering.

Reading another review of UM IEM that is priced at 6k just being "pretty good" seriously makes me to question todays IEM market. With Traillii I somewhat still can justify it initial cost, since arguably it was a stepstone for the IEM community and its tuning still is superior for me comparing it to many nowdays IEMs, considering how fast IEM market is, we can safely say the thing is a masterwork. But seing so many ultra expensive IEMs pop up over the past year alone is bit weird. Especially comparing with the over ear headphone market and how much work goes into designs like ZMF, tuning and artisan wood work and how reasonably they are priced. The Susvara I currently have on my head writing this, still outclasses any IEM I had by a mile.. and is rather affordable aftermarket nowdays.

So yeah. Hope to see more somewhat still reasonably priced, but incredibly well build, designed and tuned IEMs like Annihilator instead of more overexpensive UM-like releases.. Just a few evening thoughts.

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #81,410 of 93,307
Reading another review of UM IEM that is priced at 6k just being "pretty good" seriously makes me to question today’s IEM market.
If you’re referring to my first impressions post, UM Mason FS is beyond ‘pretty good’. It’s the best mid-centric item I’ve heard. Price points are relative, as I don’t have insight to other folks’ financial situation. If one wants the best mid centric IEM on the market, UM is positioning itself along side Rhapsodio Supreme V3 ($6399). I should be getting a demo of Sup3 soon, @Rockwell75’s recent impressions are intriguing.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #81,411 of 93,307
Hi all! I am eager to share some first impressions of the much discussed Mason FS. I remember when the previous generation Mason FS launched, many were dubious of the Trailli-like price however over time Mason proved itself among the summit class IEMs. Fast forward 3 years from Mason FS's introduction in 2021, we have the new generation Mason FS with all new technology (such as the BC Turbo) and tuning. Such learnings from previous models such as Mentor and even the previous collaboration with Cayin, the Amber Pearl (AP). As an owner of Mason Fusang and Amber Pearl, I didn’t know what to expect with the new generation Mason FS. I anticipated the new Mason FS to be a step above AP given the new technology, however this isn’t necessarily the case (and in a good way).

Overall tuning is similar to Fusang, as a member of the Mason series, this makes sense. This is where the similarities to Fusang end. Mason FS has the strong technical foundation I get from AP however the focus of the tuning has shifted from the bass region to the mids. AP excels with bringing the beat of a song alive, getting your foot to thump with the melody. Mason FS brings the organic source, the vocal (or the solo instrumental) to life. This is evident with the 3D representation of the vocal, how each ebb and flow in a singer is riding a wave, the BCD keeping up with the resolution of the set. The graininess of the voice is amplified with the emotion of the singer, which results with a tactile granularity (texture) which I haven’t heard with any other set. This 'zone focus' of the mids on Mason FS reminds me a little Aroma Jewel, particularly how the Jewel allows the mids to shine brightly with other elements of the technialities taking a back seat (ie restrained bass and relaxed treble).

Where Mason FS falls short, is where Mason as a series falls short for my tastes. The tuning in the bass region and overall tuning is flatter. I love UM Mason series, my Mason Fusang has the most hours on it out of all my high end IEMs. However I could not live with Mason Fusang as my only IEM, as I prefer more bass and rhythm in my playback. Mason FS plays it's role perfectly as a reference mid centric set, where as AP is a bass set which happens to have class leading mid performance. However AP is only second to Mason FS with mid performance, as I think the Turbo driver in the Mason FS gives the even more Bone Conduction feel in the mids. The Turbo certainly plays its role as the BC booster, one can tell immediately when listening to a saxophone solo, piano and vocal. The BC Turbo technology is marvelous and I feel is in its natural home in the Mason series.

Comparing with my Mason Fusang, the new Mason FS is a quantum leap. The Mason Fusang is darker, hazier, much less definition by comparison. However I do enjoy the Mason Fusang, as it’s like a small jazz club with cigar smoke lingering in the air. Perhaps you can seek the singer through the smoke, perhaps not. However you are getting the emotion with a bone conduction, and the Mason tuning hits the right spot for me with these type of songs.

A fun part was listening back to back with the new Mason FS and Campfire Trifecta. Trifecta has the hazy-ish nature of Fusang and is darker. However the three DD’s gives substance to the voice like the BC from AP. However the Trifecta is unable to bring forward the resolution or achieve the microdynamics in the texture as UM's bone conduction technology can. The defn/detail isn’t like FS at all, and Trifecta can't keep up with busy passages as the 3DD's lend to a slower performance. However you get some of that density and impact as you would from the palladium BC. The bass of Trifecta does attempt to compensate, however I'm not getting the vivid 'life energy' I have from Mason FS. With acid jazz or hip hop (or anything leaning on a strong beat), I will reach for Trifecta but for classical solos, pure vocal, I will reach for Mason FS 10 times out of 10.

Anyone thinking UM pulled a fast one w/ AP vs FS, don’t worry. AP owners didn’t get bamboozled. UM really gave Cayin the best they had, but were sure not to give Cayin the signature UM ‘mids at all cost’ Mason signature. This is all preference. While I would def pick FS over AP for the vocals, I just can’t have fun with music like I do with AP, vocals be damned. For me, mid bass>mids. I love Cayin's tuning, as Amber Pearl IEM represents Cayin's purest expression of it, even if Cayin's technology struggles at times to keep up with their vision. Please note, the new Mason FS is larger than Amber Pearl. The new Mason FS is at my limits for IEM volume. I can wear it comfortably however, UM's shell geometry does not disappoint. For reference of my shell size tolerance, I find Empire Ear Odin shell too large for sessions over 15-20 minutes, and of course Empire Ear EVO is a non starter.

I walk away from Mason FS being very impressed. UM managed to boost BC driver performance so it can play with the resolution of the set, this is the ultimate balance of presence and detail which many of us chase. The downside of this set however, isn’t specific to the FS. It’s the fact with Mason series sets, you will not be rocking out with it. It’s focused for a particular set list. Solos, duets, jazz, vocal, classical instrumental. It lacks the stage for full orchestra, the champ for this goes to Elysian X for now. Some would say the ultimate transducer can place you in the concert hall. UM redefines the benchmark. Why settle for being in the concert hall, when you can become the one who plays the instrument and feel the vibrations yourself.

Mason FS starts at $6199

IMG_0183.PNG
The comparison between AP and FS reminds me MM and original FS, when I was demoing MM and Mason FS (original), MM is clearly much more bass heavy, however, I prefer FS to MM by a large margin, since the Mids is so sweet and that alone is enough.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #81,412 of 93,307

Mason FS starts at $6199

IMG_0183.PNG
Sounds like you're describing Red Halo / Jardin...

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #81,413 of 93,307
My first Campfire model, Bonneville in the quite special and daring color.

Bombastic bass :ballot_box_with_check:

Crisp treble :ballot_box_with_check:

Immense fun :ballot_box_with_check:

DSCF4435x.png

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #81,414 of 93,307
Received my Susvara today, honestly cant get the hands of the thing. Its such a good pairing with Holo Bliss and May. The Annihilator 2023 that came the same day got very brief listen but I was honestly impressed, its nothing I read in the reviews, with brightish tonality and dryness. Its highly detailed, but warmish deep, engaging sound profile with beautiful lush treble, great mids. Only the bass falls out of the overall great impression, its bit plasticly and lacks resolution. I will write down few notes comparing it to Jewel and Traillii, but one thing is sure - Jewel is going home and Anni with Traillii will stay. Couldnt connect to Jewel at all in the end, just dont feel the price and dont feel like the soundscape is coming together well. The original cost of over 5k is pretty bewildering.

Reading another review of UM IEM that is priced at 6k just being "pretty good" seriously makes me to question todays IEM market. With Traillii I somewhat still can justify it initial cost, since arguably it was a stepstone for the IEM community and its tuning still is superior for me comparing it to many nowdays IEMs, considering how fast IEM market is, we can safely say the thing is a masterwork. But seing so many ultra expensive IEMs pop up over the past year alone is bit weird. Especially comparing with the over ear headphone market and how much work goes into designs like ZMF, tuning and artisan wood work and how reasonably they are priced. The Susvara I currently have on my head writing this, still outclasses any IEM I had by a mile.. and is rather affordable aftermarket nowdays.

So yeah. Hope to see more somewhat still reasonably priced, but incredibly well build and designed and tuned IEMs like Annihilator instead of more overexpensive UM-like releases.. Just a few evening thoughts.

Congrats on the new arrivals. Glad you are liking them. I don’t know which Annihilator reviews you are referring to but I described them pretty much as you do above. The bass criticism does feature in several reviews, but personally I have no issues with the bass at all. Regarding the Jewel, yes it is/was overpriced but I still like it a lot. I listened to it last night and it was great, very detailed and technical yet the vocals were very good and emotive as well.

It has been a while since I heard my Susvara but yes, it is one of the best headphones out there. Since you have ZMF headphones you could try it with ZMF pads, e.g. the Auteur solid hybrids that I am using. They are a bit deeper, which I prefer for comfort, and they boost the bass quantity a bit, which arguably is one of the weaknesses of the Susvara. To do this you will need a mounting ring, which is cheap and available from the Hifiman website. Zach also mentioned recently that they will introduce pads specifically for the Susvara soon.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #81,415 of 93,307
Sounds like you're describing Red Halo / Jardin...
Sadly I haven’t had the chance to try those IEMs. Would like to compare those two (FS and the LJ/RH) at NYC. Regardless, I think @HiFiHawaii808 will be able to provide a good comparison as he owns RH and can use that as a reference point. My reference point is Mason Fusang.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #81,416 of 93,307
Received my Susvara today, honestly cant get the hands of the thing. Its such a good pairing with Holo Bliss and May. The Annihilator 2023 that came the same day got very brief listen but I am very impressed, its nothing I read in the reviews, with brightish tonality and dryness. Its highly detailed, but warmish deep, engaging sound profile with beautifully lush treble and great mids. Only the bass falls out of the overall great impression, its bit plasticly and lacks resolution. I will write down few notes comparing it to Jewel and Traillii, but one thing is sure - Jewel is going home and Anni with Traillii will stay. Couldnt connect to Jewel at all in the end, just dont feel the price and dont feel like the soundscape is coming together well. The original cost of over 5k is pretty bewildering.

So yeah. Hope to see more somewhat still reasonably priced, but incredibly well build and designed and tuned IEMs like Annihilator instead of more overexpensive UM-like releases.. Just a few evening thoughts.

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg
Jewel is hard work trying to get right on N8ii, found myself constantly changing gain, A/AB etc depending on what was playing, FTS and Orph didn't sort it out either but WM1Z2 did. Also sounded really good out of Niimbus. Did you run it out of bliss / may?

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #81,417 of 93,307
Congrats on the new arrivals. Glad you are liking them. I don’t know which Annihilator reviews you are referring to but I described them pretty much as you do above. The bass criticism does feature in several reviews, but personally I have no issues with the bass at all. Regarding the Jewel, yes it is/was overpriced but I still like it a lot. I listened to it last night and it was great, very detailed and technical yet the vocals were very good and emotive as well.

It has been a while since I heard my Susvara but yes, it is one of the best headphones out there. Since you have ZMF headphones you could try it with ZMF pads, e.g. the Auteur solid hybrids that I am using. They are a bit deeper, which I prefer for comfort, and they boost the bass quantity a bit, which arguably is one of the weaknesses of the Susvara. To do this you will need a mounting ring, which is cheap and available from the Hifiman website.

Thanks! It was a fun coinsidence that 2 such big items came in the same day, usually I am very slow on my audio purchases, yet alone getting two totl units the same day haha

Not referring to your review, but there been plenty voices calling Anni dry and brightish. Cant second this for Anni, listening to it on Bliss / May and N8ii its wonderfully engaging neutral warm IEM with probably some of the most addicting mids and treble I heard to date. Saying this having Traillii as daily driver. Traillii is probably still somewhat better tuned and has some technical perks I enjoy over Anni like layering and seperation with its holographic stage. Enjoying Anni a lot and will probably stick with it for its engaging tuning and the insane timbre / mid resolution. Just wish the Bass was on the same level.

As for Susvara, yeah will definitly give ZMF pads a go. Though honestly its perfect to may ear like no other headphone on the first listen. I somewhat believe Susvara reveals your chain like no other headphone, you basically dont listen to Susvara but to your chain with it. I made few small cable swaps and immidiatly could notice a difference which is usually much more difficult to spot with my Caldera. The weak bass you experienced on Susvara could have been more of a flaw in the chain with the amplification, not with the headphone. With Bliss the bass is pretty much perfect, there is plenty of weight to the notes and slam, strings have physicality to them and there is quite a bit of instrument body. Its exactly the right amount to my ear. Saying this coming from Caldera and AC as daily drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #81,418 of 93,307
Jewel is hard work trying to get right on N8ii, found myself constantly changing gain, A/AB etc depending on what was playing, FTS and Orph didn't sort it out either but WM1Z2 did. Also sounded really good out of Niimbus. Did you run it out of bliss / may?
Yeah could have been the pairing with N8ii. It gets better on May and Bliss like basically any other IEM, mainly it didnt sound as flat anymore. The brightness was still bit much for my taste and my library. Really tried to make it work, even got the FTs for it, but I couldnt connect to the thing.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #81,419 of 93,307
In one of @twister6 later reviews I remember seeing an over ears of which the protective head band has a 10-12 cm opening in the middle. Since I have problems with my scalp that would probably be a model that wouldn't touch it. Any of you know what model I'm referring to? I want to see if it creates a more immersive and more out of my head listening experience. Chances that I actually like this one model are pretty slim, but without trying what do I know?

drftr

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #81,420 of 93,307
In one of @twister6 later reviews I remember seeing an over ears of which the protective head band has a 10-12 cm opening in the middle. Since I have problems with my scalp that would probably be a model that wouldn't touch it. Any of you know what model I'm referring to? I want to see if it creates a more immersive and more out of my head listening experience. Chances that I actually like this one model are pretty slim, but without trying what do I know?

drftr
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x. I believe there are other models with that style of headband as well as the Philphone. paging @dleblanc343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back