The (very) unofficial Mince Pie "apparition" thread
Nov 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sithompson

100+ Head-Fier
Well it's not even December yet and the UK food shops are already over flowing with boxes of delicious Mince Pies.

For those of you not in the UK, Mince Pies are a small savoury festive sweet pastry tart (with a pastry lid), traditionally consumed during the Christmas and New Year period. They are filled with mincemeat which is a mixture of chopped fruit and spices in a sweet, sticky binding; it should not be confused with either minced or ground meat!

Just had an M&S Deep Filled and I reckon 6/10. Not impressed – very dry

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 28
Love mince meat pie. It's a staple every Christmas and you better eat it quick if my Dad's around, he'll polish half of one off in an evening. I actually make my own from scratch. Haven't found a store bought one that can touch it, but then again I'm not in the UK.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 28
well spoted, title now corrected
redface.gif

Oh and I did not know you could buy them in Canada!

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well spoted, title now corrected
redface.gif

Oh and I did not know you could buy them in Canada!

I actually thought you purposefully named the thread what you did. You mention that the pies are coming to stores; appearing as it were and you used the word "apparition" in the title. I thought it was a pun and kind of clever. Honestly I would change it back.

Oh well, if you're that careful about things like that, you also wrote "following" in your first post when I'm pretty sure you meant "flowing"
wink.gif

Oh Yeah. Mince is popular here as well. Especially in the Eastern provinces where I grew up. But mince pies are also known and sold in the west as well. Great, now I want some mince pie and they take me some time to make
atsmile.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 28
Right, then, the The (very) unofficial Mince Pie "apparition" thread it is... I like your thinking
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, then, the The (very) unofficial Mince Pie "apparition" thread it is... I like your thinking
biggrin.gif

Much better IMO! And if people don't understand it you won't have to explain it as the explanation is contained within the posts.

BTW, didn't make any last night, just too busy. Weekend, maybe? Though it doesn't look much better.

Have you had any yet? Obviously being in Canada I don't know much about British markets and I'm curious who you think makes the best?

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 28
Well here is a picture of what a UK mince pie looks like:
800px-Mince_Pie.jpg

They are normally individual sized, sold in boxes of six - we tend not to get the big full sized pie version. Morrisons supermarkets also make them fresh in store...

I've only had one from Marks and Spencer (the UK's premium high street retailer) so far and it was not great.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 28
Here in Canada Loblaws has some rather good mince meat pies that are imported from the UK under the President's Choice brand. I don't know if they're in stores yet but now that you've reminded me I'm definitely going to look.

The ones they have in the South African Woolworths are the best though. So good that 6 in a pack seem far, far, too few!
biggrin.gif

Mmmmm I want to have some with a nice cup of tea right now.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 28
I believe the common form here is the full pie, though I'm not sure as I usually don't buy them.

Didn't know the PC pies were imported from the UK. Interesting.

After seeing the pictures I'm jonesing for a mince pie bad! Thanks a lot fatcat & sithompson
smily_headphones1.gif
Though I would have mine with coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back