The (very) unofficial Mince Pie "apparition" thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 28
mmmmmm, mince pies. one of my favorite things about Christmas! personally i make my own, i like them deep and sticky, with a cup of tea. yum!

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 28
I'll have baklava - you keep the mincemeat.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have baklava - you keep the mincemeat.

Mmmmm, baklava [drool]. I'll keep my mince pie and raise for your baklava. Baklava, particularly well made baklava, is delicious! I had a friend buy me a huge tray of well made baklava a while back and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot fatcat & sithompson
smily_headphones1.gif
Though I would have mine with coffee.

Anytime
icon10.gif

It's common over here (well in Yorkshire) to eat them with a wedge of cheese! Either a crumbly cheese like Wensleydale or a nice cheddar. Lovely!

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 28
I've heard of that but never tried it. Honestly, I've never been to tempted either
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you just cut a wedge out and eat it with, or do you melt the cheese over the pie slice?

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #21 of 28
Just cut the wedge and eat it with it - piece of pie with a piece of cheese. Delicious
popcorn.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a homemade one, was not impressed.

They're definitely not to everyone's taste. It helps if you've been eating them practically since birth!

Maybe it's a Finnish thing too? My wife is first generation Canadian and her family on her mother's side is Finnish and she doesn't like it either!
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mince Pies are a small savoury festive sweet pastry tart (with a pastry lid), traditionally consumed during the Christmas and New Year period. They are filled with mincemeat which is a mixture of chopped fruit and spices in a sweet, sticky binding; it should not be confused with either minced or ground meat!

Actually they can be made with meat:
Real mince mincemeat recipe
Lean beef mince, beef suet and all the fruit & spices. Made some last year and it was superb.
Otherwise my favourite shop bought mince pies are the shortcrust pastry ones from the cake counter at Waitrose (upmarket UK supermarket).

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just cut the wedge and eat it with it - piece of pie with a piece of cheese. Delicious
popcorn.gif

I'll be trying this tomorrow, sounds pretty good to me.

I like mince pies, and I love Christmas pudding, but I hate Christmas cake. Ironically they all have pretty much the same ingredients.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be trying this tomorrow, sounds pretty good to me.

I like mince pies, and I love Christmas pudding, but I hate Christmas cake. Ironically they all have pretty much the same ingredients.

Yes, but like many other things in life, it's how they're used that makes all the difference
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back