The Utsusemi-Works Thread (Sound Dragon, Sound Tiger)
Nov 13, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 59
I’m confused because in your pictures, and in other’s pictures that appear in later postings, the Concerto is shown in the last position, after the first xtra amp.
You're right - my bad. Mass Kobo is serving as preamp here.
Does the Concerto work brilliantly, as you describe, when it’s the final amp? the one driving the bud/IEM?
The preamp stacking only works for headphones. For IEMs, it's overkill. Even with headphones, I would only recommend for planars or hard to drive headphones. It's highly dynamic if not a little bombastic. For IEMs, I recommend the simplicity of the Sound Dragon alone.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #32 of 59
You're right - my bad. Mass Kobo is serving as preamp here.

The preamp stacking only works for headphones. For IEMs, it's overkill. Even with headphones, I would only recommend for planars or hard to drive headphones. It's highly dynamic if not a little bombastic. For IEMs, I recommend the simplicity of the Sound Dragon alone.
Got it. Thank you Nostoi, for starting and maintaining this thread. Will report back when I have spent some time with the he Symphonia.

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 59
Have I just ordered one today? :)
Shipping December 24th...
Happy X-mas...

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 59
Have I just ordered one today? :)
Shipping December 24th...
Happy X-mas...
Congrats.
Need to save some cash after a wild year with audio, but I have been tempted for a long time now.

And for owners:

How is power together with headphones, been looking for a portable solution when I want to be away from my audio corner. Would be driving ZMF Verite and Beyerdynamic T1 G2. Both have high impedance, but not the hardest to drive. And what model is the best then.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #35 of 59
Mojo2/Poly with Sound Tiger Concerto and IE900/Arctic Cables Opus Palladium cable:

P1140075.jpgP1140077.jpg
How good is the pairing of the Mojo2 with Sound Tiger?

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #36 of 59
How good is the pairing of the Mojo2 with Sound Tiger?
How good? VERY good :L3000:Gives the Mojo 2 more depth, wider staging, and better dynamics. However, for overall precision and cleanliness, the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 is what floats my boat with the Sound Dragon. Something about the dedicated physical LO with its variable function works amazingly well. Look forward to trying this with Loud not least because dimensions are the same.

P1140086.jpg

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 59
How good? VERY good :L3000:Gives the Mojo 2 more depth, wider staging, and better dynamics. However, for overall precision and cleanliness, the Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 is what floats my boat with the Sound Dragon. Something about the dedicated physical LO with its variable function works amazingly well. Look forward to trying this with Loud not least because dimensions are the same.

P1140086.jpg
It looks interesting because the Mojo2/Poly combo is more or less the same size of the Sound Tiger, so it looks to be excellent for stacking.

Sound Tiger was designed to be used with phone-out or a variable line-out. I tried to order the Sinfonia but it's sold out.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #38 of 59
It looks interesting because the Mojo2/Poly combo is more or less the same size of the Sound Tiger, so it looks to be excellent for stacking.

Sound Tiger was designed to be used with phone-out or a variable line-out. I tried to order the Sinfonia but it's sold out.
Yes, they're same dimensions. Very neat and tidy.

Try to get hold of one - you'll find Mojo 2's PO is clean enough to really benefit from the Sound Dragon.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #39 of 59

Sorry I am not versed on the terminology but what is a variable line out? Something with a preamp?

I am confused by their website. I got the impression that Sound Tiger was the model name and then there are two versions of it, being Sinfonia and Loud. I guess I am incorrect about that?

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #40 of 59
It just means it's not a fixed line-out, i.e. you can adjust the volume level of the output

Utsusemi Works is the company name. Sound Tiger is the lineup name, and in that lineup there are two models: Sinfonia and Loud
Ok. That's what I thought the variable LO meant... the opposite of a fixed LO. My understanding is that fixed LO is preferable to variable?

And there are other lineup names? The reason I ask is that there is a local sale of a Sound Tiger, however the internals do not look like either of the photos on the website.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #41 of 59
The Sound Tiger is designed to work with variable line-out or phone-out.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #42 of 59
My Sound Tiger Sinfonia has arrived :)

20240103_141058.jpg

20240103_131910.jpg

Beautiful little device obviously crafted with care and devotion.

A bit early for valid sound impressions but ootb I would call it very promising already as the difference to my Hiby R6PII driving my also new Penon Quattro unamped is quite clearly perceivable to my ears.

Can also report that the Sinfonia is dead silent and offers a black background with no perceivable disturbing noises (WiFi and BT both switched on on my Hiby).

The Sinfonia is also astoundingly handy imo - I am not bothered by the additional weight and size as it stacks up nicely with the Hiby using the provided rubber bands...

So all in all I could not be happier atm. Seems as if the Sinfonia is totally capable of fulfilling my expectations adding weight, definition and authority to the sound. Now let me enjoy the honeymoon phase...

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #43 of 59
My Sound Tiger Sinfonia has arrived :)

20240103_141058.jpg
20240103_131910.jpg

Beautiful little device obviously crafted with care and devotion.

A bit early for valid sound impressions but ootb I would call it very promising already as the difference to my Hiby R6PII driving my also new Penon Quattro unamped is quite clearly perceivable to my ears.

Can also report that the Sinfonia is dead silent and offers a black background with no perceivable disturbing noises (WiFi and BT both switched on on my Hiby).

The Sinfonia is also astoundingly handy imo - I am not bothered by the additional weight and size as it stacks up nicely with the Hiby using the provided rubber bands...

So all in all I could not be happier atm. Seems as if the Sinfonia is totally capable of fulfilling my expectations adding weight, definition and authority to the sound. Now let me enjoy the honeymoon phase...
Awesome, been thinking about getting one also to use with R6P2. How do you find the power compared to the DAP?

Would like a amp that also can power my harder to drive earbuds.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #44 of 59
Awesome, been thinking about getting one also to use with R6P2. How do you find the power compared to the DAP?

Could not find any numbers about the output power of the Sinfonia. But it definitely adds power if not vast amounts.

As you own the R6PII too: I can lower the volume with the Sinfonia attached by ~6, maybe 7 notches. Usually drive the quite power hungry Quattro around 40 on the Hiby. With the Sinfonia attached that equals ~34... (all BA sets need less oc, not yet tried). The Quattro may be the most power hungry set in my gear park...

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #45 of 59

I'm currently listening to HD800s with the new Loud amp, and it drives them very nicely indeed.

Sorry to be inactive on this thread, but in brief - Loud is a fantastic amp! Form factor is perfect with Lotoo Gold 2017 and these two are almost permanently stacked. My only regret is that I should have been more plucky and ordered red coat with gold knobs to match (if someone wants my existing one, I could sell only to buy the same amp in these colours).

1140231.jpg

Also note - new Sonata, which is a 3.5mm SE in/out amp (could see that working nicely with Mojo 2/Hugo 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back