The Utsusemi-Works Thread (Sound Dragon, Sound Tiger)
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Nostoi

Headphoneus Supremus
Since there's almost no information on the Japanese amp maker Utsusemi-Works and their Sound Tiger portable amps within the English speaking, I've decided to create a thread here with some brief impressions, since it'll likely be of interests to fans of amps such as Mass Kobo, Brise Audio, and Bakoon Products (Satri Circuit Labs), etc.

Utsusemi-Works is a small operation run by Tetsuya Oishi in Tokyo who handmakes all products. Information on their product line-up can be found in both Japanese and English. I had the pleasure of ordering their top-tier model, the Concerto, directly from Oishi-san recently, so can offer some impressions of the buying experience and the amp itself. Delivery takes some time because it is hand built in small quantities.

P1130774.jpg

The Concerto is a solid-state balanced amplifier driven by 4 replaceable/rechargeable batteries. There is no gain/volume, so adjustments are made on the source. For this reason, there is a fantastic synergy with Lotoo DAPs, not only tonally but also because Lotoo have variable line-out, which works perfectly with all the amps from Utsusemi-Works.

P1130779.jpg

When ordering, you can request certain customisations. I opted for a stainless steel plate and the brown vintage looking case above - I think I was the first to have received this case. The build is excellent and exudes both a sense of precision and a sense of passion. The Concerto amp is balanced in and out, but can also be used from a single-ended source with the correct cable. Shown below here with an IC from Brise, 3.5mm-4.4mm.

P1130788.jpg

Oishi-san is very careful about every aspect of the design, including the usage of interconnects and the batteries. He recommends the white Fujitsu seen above. I also ordered an interconnect from a company called Haru Audio from Japan who is working closely with Utsusemi-Works. I have not extensively compared with other interconnects, but I'm very gratified with the Afterglow Resolution IC included in the order.

P1130730.jpg

Let me offer some brief impressions on the sound. I can only speak for the Concerto here. As I understand it from @KKNAYANA, their amps vary in tuning quite widely and also according to region. The Concerto, however, is very clean sounding, with a hint of slight richness in the lower mids and a smooth but precise top region. The overall presentation is taut, dynamic, balanced, highly musical, and immensely engaging. Technical performance is also excellent, with especially vivid sense of imaging and layering. Background is 100% pitch black quiet. No noise whatsoever.

P1130750.jpg

With the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Ti, the Concerto retains the tonality of the Ti's tuning but expands the soundstage, generates more definition, and improves coherence. On peakier headphones, such as the WP900, the Concerto also renders the overall presentation somewhat less strident without taking away any of the dynamics.

P1130760.jpg

On its own, the Concerto is an outstanding amp, especially at the price point. However, I want to say that the Concerto works *amazingly* well in connection to other portable amps. Yes, this now involves multiple amps, but the results are so incredible that it's worth it.

P1130782.jpg

The added dimension includes a truly staggering sense of width and depth, an incredibly "lifelike" sense of dynamics, and a excellent sense of layering and imaging. The overall role the Concerto plays here, however, is to give a desktop sense of authority to the presentation. Sounds hyperbolic but I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to try pairing the Concerto with either a Mass Kobo or Bakoon amp. I also understand this pairing works well with Brise's Tsuranagi amp.

P1130785.jpg

In sum - fantastic amp. The whole experience of ordering from Utsusemi Works was a total pleasure and I offer a hearty recommendation!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 59
Interesting amp. Can you please let me know how much it costs because I didn't see any price on their website. A comparison with other amps that you have would be appreciated. Thank you

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 59
Following, these look interesting!

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 59
Sound Tiger Concerto and Mass Kobo 428/475 is truly a sublime combo - one of the best pairings in terms of synergy of anything I've heard portable or desktop. Massive presentation with thunderous dynamics, precise technicalities, and an excellent tonal balance. In terms of raw performance, easily competes with my desktop set-up if not edging it out.

Now the question is whether Lotoo Mjolnir will/can outperform it...

1130823.jpg

1130824.jpg

11j30828.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 59
Interesting amp. Can you please let me know how much it costs because I didn't see any price on their website. A comparison with other amps that you have would be appreciated. Thank you
I think total cost with the interconnect, batteries, upgraded parts was about 700 Euros or so plus customs tax. I can't quite remember, but thereabouts. All in all, very reasonable.

It's hard to compare with other amps because it operates totally differently. But in terms of tone, it is transparent with a slight warmth in the lower mids. It's very dynamic sounding with excellent technical performance.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 59
I've been using the Sound Tiger Grazioso since January and I like it quite a lot, but my use is probably a bit different than most. I have a couple of earphones with ~5 ohm impedance and a lot of amps struggle to drive that kind of load. So the Grazioso serves as a kind of buffer in those cases. I'm currently using it with the Kaei Tap1-DACs, which I also like a lot.

Mine also looks a bit different from the typical Utsusemi Works design, although I do like the standard cases a lot as well.
Grazioso 1.jpg
Grazioso - Pi - Tap1.jpg
Gazioso Open.jpg
Grazioso - Tap1 open - Pi.jpg
In use.jpg
Sorry for the excessive images, I like the way everything turned out.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 59
I've been using the Sound Tiger Grazioso since January and I like it quite a lot, but my use is probably a bit different than most. I have a couple of earphones with ~5 ohm impedance and a lot of amps struggle to drive that kind of load. So the Grazioso serves as a kind of buffer in those cases. I'm currently using it with the Kaei Tap1-DACs, which I also like a lot.

Mine also looks a bit different from the typical Utsusemi Works design, although I do like the standard cases a lot as well.
Grazioso 1.jpg
Grazioso - Pi - Tap1.jpg
Gazioso Open.jpg
Grazioso - Tap1 open - Pi.jpg
In use.jpg
Sorry for the excessive images, I like the way everything turned out.
This is amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 59
Since there's almost no information on the Japanese amp maker Utsusemi-Works and their Sound Tiger portable amps within the English speaking, I've decided to create a thread here with some brief impressions, since it'll likely be of interests to fans of amps such as Mass Kobo, Brise Audio, and Bakoon Products (Satri Circuit Labs), etc.

Utsusemi-Works is a small operation run by Tetsuya Oishi in Tokyo who handmakes all products. Information on their product line-up can be found in both Japanese and English. I had the pleasure of ordering their top-tier model, the Concerto, directly from Oishi-san recently, so can offer some impressions of the buying experience and the amp itself. Delivery takes some time because it is hand built in small quantities.

P1130774.jpg

The Concerto is a solid-state balanced amplifier driven by 4 replaceable/rechargeable batteries. There is no gain/volume, so adjustments are made on the source. For this reason, there is a fantastic synergy with Lotoo DAPs, not only tonally but also because Lotoo have variable line-out, which works perfectly with all the amps from Utsusemi-Works.

P1130779.jpg

When ordering, you can request certain customisations. I opted for a stainless steel plate and the brown vintage looking case above - I think I was the first to have received this case. The build is excellent and exudes both a sense of precision and a sense of passion. The Concerto amp is balanced in and out, but can also be used from a single-ended source with the correct cable. Shown below here with an IC from Brise, 3.5mm-4.4mm.

P1130788.jpg

Oishi-san is very careful about every aspect of the design, including the usage of interconnects and the batteries. He recommends the white Fujitsu seen above. I also ordered an interconnect from a company called Haru Audio from Japan who is working closely with Utsusemi-Works. I have not extensively compared with other interconnects, but I'm very gratified with the Afterglow Resolution IC included in the order.

P1130730.jpg

Let me offer some brief impressions on the sound. I can only speak for the Concerto here. As I understand it from @KKNAYANA, their amps vary in tuning quite widely and also according to region. The Concerto, however, is very clean sounding, with a hint of slight richness in the lower mids and a smooth but precise top region. The overall presentation is taut, dynamic, balanced, highly musical, and immensely engaging. Technical performance is also excellent, with especially vivid sense of imaging and layering. Background is 100% pitch black quiet. No noise whatsoever.

P1130750.jpg

With the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Ti, the Concerto retains the tonality of the Ti's tuning but expands the soundstage, generates more definition, and improves coherence. On peakier headphones, such as the WP900, the Concerto also renders the overall presentation somewhat less strident without taking away any of the dynamics.

P1130760.jpg

On its own, the Concerto is an outstanding amp, especially at the price point. However, I want to say that the Concerto works *amazingly* well as a preamp to other portable amps. Yes, this now involves multiple amps, but the results are so incredible that it's worth it. On both Mass Kobo 428 and Bakoon 5520MK2, the Concerto adds such an improvement that it's actually to go back to just listening to these amps without the Concerto.

P1130782.jpg

The added dimension includes a truly staggering sense of width and depth, an incredibly "lifelike" sense of dynamics, and a excellent sense of layering and imaging. The overall role the Concerto plays here, however, is to give a desktop sense of authority to the presentation. Sounds hyperbolic but I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to try pairing the Concerto with either a Mass Kobo or Bakoon amp. I also understand this pairing works well with Brise's Tsuranagi amp.

P1130785.jpg

In sum - fantastic amp. The whole experience of ordering from Utsusemi Works was a total pleasure and I offer a hearty recommendation!
Thanks for the comparison and showing an interesting amplifier.
How do you compare Mass Kobo itself to Sound Tiger with LPGT Ti?

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 59
Thanks for the comparison and showing an interesting amplifier.
How do you compare Mass Kobo itself to Sound Tiger with LPGT Ti?
I just compared briefly with HD800s. I actually have to slightly back track on some of my comments here because previously I was using Ti with variable LO with the Sound Tiger. In fact, my sense now is that it's one of those rare times when double amping works best. Sound Tiger and Ti when driven through PO is really magical. You have the precision and detail of the Ti with the warmth and texture of the Sound Tiger. It can also drive the HD800s with ease.

Compared to Mass Kobo, the Mass Kobo has a leaner, quicker, and more forward presentation whereas the Sound Tiger is overall more "natural" in its response but still with exacting imaging and layering. It's really a great amp, especially at the price point. Very versatile, pitch black background, no RFI/EMI noise (which I do get on Mass Kobo on high-gain). Definitely a sleeper amp, at least in the West.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 59
I just compared briefly with HD800s. I actually have to slightly back track on some of my comments here because previously I was using Ti with variable LO with the Sound Tiger. In fact, my sense now is that it's one of those rare times when double amping works best. Sound Tiger and Ti when driven through PO is really magical. You have the precision and detail of the Ti with the warmth and texture of the Sound Tiger. It can also drive the HD800s with ease.

Compared to Mass Kobo, the Mass Kobo has a leaner, quicker, and more forward presentation whereas the Sound Tiger is overall more "natural" in its response but still with exacting imaging and layering. It's really a great amp, especially at the price point. Very versatile, pitch black background, no RFI/EMI noise (which I do get on Mass Kobo on high-gain). Definitely a sleeper amp, at least in the West.
Hmm, at this price it's worth a try, especially since I see an announcement of the new version on the website. I'm more interested in a portable configuration, and the Mass Kobo is more stationary. Ok, I'll contact you via e-mail on the manufacturer's website.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 59
Hmm, at this price it's worth a try, especially since I see an announcement of the new version on the website. I'm more interested in a portable configuration, and the Mass Kobo is more stationary. Ok, I'll contact you via e-mail on the manufacturer's website.
New version looks good interesting indeed.

Oishi San is excellent to deal with. Top recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back