The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Oct 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,052 of 1,222
I think the Sony NW A35 is one of the biggest competitor to this which I'm definitely getting if the T3 still won't come out.

Well, this is just a DAP - no optical/coaxial output. The WM port works properly with sony devices only like pha-3. Very limited application. 

I used to have the A15 as a transport for various DAC/Amps - poor performance in comparison with optical connections.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,053 of 1,222
Well, this is just a DAP - no optical/coaxial output. The WM port works properly with sony devices only like pha-3. Very limited application. 

I used to have the A15 as a transport for various DAC/Amps - poor performance in comparison with optical connections.
The T3 is a fine DAP indeed but for now it's just a wishful thinking until the final product comes out.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,054 of 1,222
I think the Sony NW A35 is one of the biggest competitor to this which I'm definitely getting if the T3 still won't come out.

The biggest problem with the Sony Walkman series is that it still requires you to have the WMC-NWH10 "High resolution audio USB output conversion cable" in order to connect it OTG to an external USB DAC.

Aside from the huge bulk of this cable, the main issue is the battery drain. This cable has some kind of circuitry with authentication chip inside (so kind of like a mini-device, rather than just a cable, hence nobody can pirate it other than to buy it and crack it open to transplant the chip), and this drains the battery like crazy.

For the NW-ZX1 and ZX2 walkmans, the battery runs out in a couple of hours using this cable. Even for the supposed "Stamina" walkman NW-ZX100, which claims 70 hours playback on its own, using it as a transport with WHC-NWH10 cable ends up more like 5-6 hours.

Aside from this cable issue, I think the Walkmans are great. I guess they have some corporate reasons why they can't switch over to microUSB OTG direction.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #1,055 of 1,222

The biggest problem with the Sony Walkman series is that it still requires you to have the WMC-NWH10 "High resolution audio USB output conversion cable" in order to connect it OTG to an external USB DAC.

Aside from the huge bulk of this cable, the main issue is the battery drain. This cable has some kind of circuitry with authentication chip inside (so kind of like a mini-device, rather than just a cable, hence nobody can pirate it other than to buy it and crack it open to transplant the chip), and this drains the battery like crazy.

For the NW-ZX1 and ZX2 walkmans, the battery runs out in a couple of hours using this cable. Even for the supposed "Stamina" walkman NW-ZX100, which claims 70 hours playback on its own, using it as a transport with WHC-NWH10 cable ends up more like 5-6 hours.

Aside from this cable issue, I think the Walkmans are great. I guess they have some corporate reasons why they can't switch over to microUSB OTG direction.

So, the Sony's have:

i) poor battery life when used as a transport;

ii) a particularly stupid implementation of the EU volume cap;

iii) still only a single micro SD slot so limited storage.

Hardly a competitor for the T3 then.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #1,056 of 1,222
Hardly a competitor for the T3 then.

Looking at the specs, I think the Fiio T3 has some very unique selling points, and I can't find any alternatives out on the market today.
I hope they keep up with the development and release it sooner than later.

Companies like Sony can probably make our dream gadgets quite easily but they don't have the incentive to do so, because they would like to create their own ecosystem of everything being Sony. The new NW-A35 is a pretty nice device on its own, but more in the lines of Fiio X3 or Cowon Plenue D etc. I would see my dad using one of these and be very happy with it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,057 of 1,222
I'm not sure how I even overlooked the T3. The idea of a pure transport is just amazing.

I'm leaning towards the Sony NW-A30 series for the form factor but from the looks of it the T3 is going to be similarly sized.

I might just get the A30 first (since it fulfills my requirements) then and wait till the T3 materialises then decide if I should switch.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,058 of 1,222
I'm not sure how I even overlooked the T3. The idea of a pure transport is just amazing.

I'm leaning towards the Sony NW-A30 series for the form factor but from the looks of it the T3 is going to be similarly sized.

I might just get the A30 first (since it fulfills my requirements) then and wait till the T3 materialises then decide if I should switch.

I wouldn't call it a pure Transport. The thread title was changed along with Fiio's thinking long ago. Last indications were of a DAP with included DAC, that would be ideal as a transport but also function standalone.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,059 of 1,222
I wouldn't call it a pure Transport. The thread title was changed along with Fuji's FiiO's thinking long ago. Last indications were of a DAP with included DAC, that would be ideal as a transport but also function standalone.

I think it's funny. FiiO asked if a transport is viable, then received a positive yes, then changed the plan to a DAP, and now nothing but silence. I'd still be interested in the T3. It would be great to hear something from FiiO if it's still in their plans.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,060 of 1,222
I think it's funny. FiiO asked if a transport is viable, then received a positive yes, then changed the plan to a DAP, and now nothing but silence. I'd still be interested in the T3. It would be great to hear something from FiiO if it's still in their plans.

I agree, they have been oddly silent for a while about this.  I wonder if they are more focused on revamping their current product line with new features (new scroll wheel, Bluetooth, etc.)  Other than the SD cards vs the microSD cards, a X5 Gen 3 or X7 Gen 2 could possibly meet all the other requirements for a transport and have more robust DAC/Amp functionality.  It might be more expensive but not be considered the "niche" product that established companies like to avoid.

It's kind of ironic though, because wasn't high fidelity personal/portable audio equipment that FiiO specializes in initially considered "niche" products as well?  And look at the market now...

My two pennies...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,061 of 1,222

Even 'funnier', some of us got criticised for finding the idea of a Transport exciting and being slightly disappointed that it would be perceived and eventually reviewed by many as just another DAP. Which even happened in this thread with all the feature requests!

Thanks for pointing out that damn auto-correction. Don't want false rumour that Fuji have entered the market, LOL.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,062 of 1,222
Even 'funnier', some of us got criticised for finding the idea of a Transport exciting and being slightly disappointed that it would be perceived and eventually reviewed by many as just another DAP. Which even happened in this thread with all the feature requests!

Thanks for pointing out that damn auto-correction. Don't want false rumour that Fuji have entered the market, LOL.

They have!?! 
eek.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,063 of 1,222
I agree, they have been oddly silent for a while about this.  I wonder if they are more focused on revamping their current product line with new features (new scroll wheel, Bluetooth, etc.)  Other than the SD cards vs the microSD cards, a X5 Gen 3 or X7 Gen 2 could possibly meet all the other requirements for a transport and have more robust DAC/Amp functionality.  It might be more expensive but not be considered the "niche" product that established companies like to avoid.

It's kind of ironic though, because wasn't high fidelity personal/portable audio equipment that FiiO specializes in initially considered "niche" products as well?  And look at the market now...

My two pennies...
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Personally, as James has mentioned in this very thread, if it was to be just a transport it would have been easy and quicker and cheaper for FiiO to do. That's why it was so alluring. Cheap and functional as a transport. It's been hashed over so many times in this thread that I don't think it's worth bringing up as a point of contention.

I only hope FiiO hasn't missed an opportunity to capitalize on the buzz around the T3 as a source for other quality DACs, portable or otherwise. I know I'd use it with many devices, including the desktop Chord DAVE because frankly I'm tired of using my laptop as a source as it takes up too much space on my desk (I can't use my workstations for music playback as the CPU is usually pegged to 100%).

As I've said earlier in this thread, one small device with large storage space to use as a source with portable gear and desktop gear without having to manage multiple libraries on multiple devices would be a dream.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,064 of 1,222
Personally, as James has mentioned in this very thread, if it was to be just a transport it would have been easy and quicker and cheaper for FiiO to do. That's why it was so alluring. Cheap and functional as a transport. It's been hashed over so many times in this thread that I don't think it's worth bringing up as a point of contention.

I only hope FiiO hasn't missed an opportunity to capitalize on the buzz around the T3 as a source for other quality DACs, portable or otherwise. I know I'd use it with many devices, including the desktop Chord DAVE because frankly I'm tired of using my laptop as a source as it takes up too much space on my desk (I can't use my workstations for music playback as the CPU is usually pegged to 100%).

As I've said earlier in this thread, one small device with large storage space to use as a source with portable gear and desktop gear without having to manage multiple libraries on multiple devices would be a dream.

Oh, I completely agree with you.  I was just wondering if the silence was because they were re-thinking their position.  Definitely wasn't trying to re-hash anything.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,065 of 1,222
Oh, I completely agree with you.  I was just wondering if the silence was because they were re-thinking their position.  Definitely wasn't trying to re-hash anything.
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

No no, I know you weren't, but I was trying to avoid the onslaught of others (and myself!) re-hashing the same thing. :wink_face: Apologies if it read the other way around.

Still, it's quiet......... Too quiet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back