The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Aug 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,006 of 1,222

May I suggest a change with the positioning of the hardware buttons?
If a lot of people are planning on using this with additional portable DAC/AMP's, then I can assume that a lot of these people will probably be stacking these using stacking bands.
The current proposed position of the hardware buttons are a little too high if we were to use stacking bands at the top and bottom of the device, and would obscure access to the power button.
I've attached a visual mock-up for the proposed changes(excuse the poor ms paint job)

Hopefully everything hasn't been finalised yet and even though a change like this will probably bring on delays, I presume those who use the stacking bands will be a lot happier if the buttons were lowered but I am only speaking for myself.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,008 of 1,222
  Alternatively we could just use the stacking kit that FIIO is sure to make for this model.

Their stacking kits are elegant solutions however it does restrict us to using the silicone bands in the pre-fixed location(s) they choose.

I've got no background in hardware design or anything so excuse my ignorance but given how close all the hardware buttons on the T3 are clustered together in the upper 2/3 of this small device, it does limit them on where they can even put their attachment hooks in a manner where the thin silicone bands don't overlap their own hardware buttons as it does become an issue when you try to access them.
This is less of an issue when the stacked hardware has the same width but the problem becomes exacerbated when you have a DAC/AMP that is wider than the T3 as the band is stretched away from the device making the buttons harder to access if it does cover it up, especially when you're trying to manage it in your pocket.

I'm not against them offering a stacking kit, but by changing the position of the hardware buttons, in addition to offering a stacking kit, they are providing us more options in how we choose to stack our devices, which is particularly handy given the various positions of buttons/knobs on portable DAC/AMP's that others possess.

I'm not claiming their stacking kit or the proposed changes will suit everyone's DAC/AMP button layout combo, but it does allow more possibilities than offering their kit alone. In it's current iteration, for those who end up using their own silicone bands, they are limited to only the bottom 1/3 of the T3, otherwise they will compromise on either covering their buttons or covering the touchscreen.

Of course if a change like this is very costly or will take too much development time then scrap the idea as we all want the device sooner rather later 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,009 of 1,222
I don't disagree with your remarks, in relation to stacking, jonnyt211, but just so you are aware of why all the buttons are on one side of the device:

www.head-fi.org/t/799227/the-upcoming-fiio-t3-dual-sd-slot-3-2-inch-full-touch-screen-optical-coaxial-usb-digital-output-slim-design-apt-x-type-c/375#post_12453391

That is not to disagree with your suggestion to nudge the buttons a bit nearer to the center of the device. It's only in order to pre-empt a question as to why the buttons aren't spread-out on both sides of the device.
Sony understand the importance of ergonomics, if you look at the very logical button locations on the ZX1. No accidental simultaneous presses of unintended buttons are possible, when squeezing the device in order to deliberately press one of the buttons.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,010 of 1,222
  Their stacking kits are elegant solutions however it does restrict us to using the silicone bands in the pre-fixed location(s) they choose.

I've got no background in hardware design or anything so excuse my ignorance but given how close all the hardware buttons on the T3 are clustered together in the upper 2/3 of this small device, it does limit them on where they can even put their attachment hooks in a manner where the thin silicone bands don't overlap their own hardware buttons as it does become an issue when you try to access them.
This is less of an issue when the stacked hardware has the same width but the problem becomes exacerbated when you have a DAC/AMP that is wider than the T3 as the band is stretched away from the device making the buttons harder to access if it does cover it up, especially when you're trying to manage it in your pocket.

I'm not against them offering a stacking kit, but by changing the position of the hardware buttons, in addition to offering a stacking kit, they are providing us more options in how we choose to stack our devices, which is particularly handy given the various positions of buttons/knobs on portable DAC/AMP's that others possess.

I'm not claiming their stacking kit or the proposed changes will suit everyone's DAC/AMP button layout combo, but it does allow more possibilities than offering their kit alone. In it's current iteration, for those who end up using their own silicone bands, they are limited to only the bottom 1/3 of the T3, otherwise they will compromise on either covering their buttons or covering the touchscreen.

Of course if a change like this is very costly or will take too much development time then scrap the idea as we all want the device sooner rather later 
tongue_smile.gif

Phew!! Ok!!

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,011 of 1,222
With a 3.2" diagonal screen with an aspect ratio of 1.666 (800x480 pixels) it looks like it'll be about the size of an X3ii or maybe even an X5ii. Of course this is just an estimate based on the picture James posted in the first post and is my best guess. He has also mentioned the thickness would be about 20mm so all in all about the same thickness as the X5ii well Supposed to have a target thickness of 10mm, half the thickness of the X5ii. I think this is a great size for a full touch screen device transport with two full size SD slots. Any smaller and the touch screen would become to unwieldy IMO (like the original AK100 for example).

An SD card is 2.4 cm wide so the slot will be about an inch. Extrapolating from that, the device in the picture shown by FiiO is just shy of 4 inches long or about maybe 9.5 cm.

I've gone ahead and done measurements based on the latest renders and not the one in the first post. 
With a 3.2" diagonal 5:3 aspect ratio(800x480) that makes the screen 70mm x 42mm. Using that as the measurement I zoomed the picture up until the T3 screen matched that size.
I didn't use the SD card slots as a measurement as the slots are often marginally larger than the cards themselves.

My measurements for the T3 are:113 mm x 60 mm x 13 mm

I think James' post said he could get the thickness to 'about' 10mm so that's within range. If we are strictly talking about the metal enclosure and not the front and back materials then it's 10-11mm thick

For reference:
T3:113 mm x 60 mm x 13 mm

X3ii: 96.7 mm x 57.7 mm x 16.1 mm

X5ii: 109 mm x 63.5 mm x 15.3 mm

Chord Mojo(Someone was bound to ask anyway): 82 mm x 60 mm x 22 mm

Based on renders the T3 has a bigger footprint than the X3ii. It is marginally taller than the X5ii but also marginally not as wide.It is of course thinner than the other two.
And for those of you who have the mojo, the T3 is the same width, 60mm, so it should stack very nicely. It is however 31 mm taller. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,012 of 1,222
Hi JamesFiiO

Several weeks have passed without any update from your side. You warned us that you will be busy and have little or no time left for this thread.
Please, do you mind, if possible, providing any further information?
Is the project still alive?

Respectfully yours,

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #1,015 of 1,222
Ever since this was posted I am a bit confused.

What would be the added value of T3 in comparison of FiiO X7+AM0 ?

More storage.

No Android.

Better battery life.

Affordable.

I'm sure there are more...

Edit: forgot USB output

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,018 of 1,222

​If its relatively stable (no glaring oddities right out of the gate) and are priced fairly, I won't grumble too much about the UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back