The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Aug 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #991 of 1,222
  Guys i need to ask a question about battery life,

Players get announced with 20 - 30 or even 40 hours with hell lots of other features (screen, wifi, bluetooth) that if used probably will cut battery to less than 8 hours :D

so that is expected ..

but at least the screen, isn't there any technology that minimize power usage for screen, screen eats battery on android like crazy ..

OLED use less power than LCD. But nothing beats e-ink in terms of power usage. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #992 of 1,222
OLED use less power than LCD. But nothing beats e-ink in terms of power usage. 

Lol you got me thinking, how would android look on an e ink b/w screen.

i searched and found a cellular by onyx and it doesnt look that bad :D

but that is a hard decision for them and i think people wont agree ..

but for me as a transport or a music player, i would value battery and performance more than high quality lcd screen.

Btw is there a coloured e ink screen ?

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #993 of 1,222
Lol you got me thinking, how would android look on an e ink b/w screen.

i searched and found a cellular by onyx and it doesnt look that bad
biggrin.gif

but that is a hard decision for them and i think people wont agree ..

but for me as a transport or a music player, i would value battery and performance more than high quality lcd screen.

Btw is there a coloured e ink screen ?

Color e-ink has been around for a while. Not as vivid as LCDs yet but geeting better. My Garmin Fenix 3 sports watch already supports colors. Battery life last weeks not days.

They just made progress here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160524006209/en/Ink-Announces-Advanced-Color-ePaper-Breakthrough-Technology

For a DAP color e-Ink is more than enough since you are not playing videos. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #994 of 1,222

Color e-ink has been around for a while. Not as vivid as LCDs yet but geeting better. My Garmin Fenix 3 sports watch already supports colors. Battery life last weeks not days.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160524006209/en/Ink-Announces-Advanced-Color-ePaper-Breakthrough-Technology

thats interesting, i hope they think about it as it will make quite a difference

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #995 of 1,222

thats interesting, i hope they think about it as it will make quite a difference

Given FiiO's company size, relative to a major electronics company, they can't exactly request LCD sizes from the manufacturer. They source what they can at existing cuts and use that for their devices.

As x RELIC x has alluded to, above, James has explained, a number of times, in the past, on this forum, why he can't just use the latest & greatest screen, of any size and type he likes:

=15&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH]http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=blackberry&titleonly=0&byuser=JamesFiiO&output=posts&containingforum[]=15&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

Admittedly, the T3 is likely to have a touchscreen, so it is a slightly different situation from the surplus Blackberry screens Fiio used on the X3 and x5, but still, Fiio has to obtain what, in smartphone-manufacturing terms, is a relatively small quantity of screens, for the T3, so their buying power is relatively limited, and they can't afford to be too picky with their screen suppliers. In the last 2-3 years, there has been a relentless drive by smartphone manufacturers, to increase the size of their touchscreens - it's a silly gimmick that makes smartphones harder to use with one hand (Steve Jobs resisted making the iPhone screen larger, for precisely this reason), but it's the way the smartphone industry has been going. This means that even mass-produced smartphone touchscreen suppliers will have less and less stock of smaller touchscreens, and the T3 doesn't really want to have a massive touchscreen. The point being that James and his team will not have a great deal of choice, if they are seeking to obtain a relatively-compact touchscreen for the T3, and they also have to get them at an economical price, which may be difficult.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #996 of 1,222

As x RELIC x has alluded to, above, James has explained, a number of times, in the past, on this forum, why he can't just use the latest & greatest screen, of any size and type he likes:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=blackberry&titleonly=0&byuser=JamesFiiO&output=posts&containingforum[]=15&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

Admittedly, the T3 is likely to have a touchscreen, so it is a slightly different situation from the surplus Blackberry screens Fiio used on the X3 and x5, but still, Fiio has to obtain what, in smartphone-manufacturing terms, is a relatively small quantity of screens, for the T3, so their buying power is relatively limited, and they can't afford to be too picky with their screen suppliers. In the last 2-3 years, there has been a relentless drive by smartphone manufacturers, to increase the size of their touchscreens - it's a silly gimmick that makes smartphones harder to use with one hand (Steve Jobs resisted making the iPhone screen larger, for precisely this reason), but it's the way the smartphone industry has been going. This means that even mass-produced smartphone touchscreen suppliers will have less and less stock of smaller touchscreens, and the T3 doesn't really want to have a massive touchscreen. The point being that James and his team will not have a great deal of choice, if they are seeking to obtain a relatively-compact touchscreen for the T3, and they also have to get them at an economical price, which may be difficult.

Agreed.

i can't assume that i know prices of such screens or even how manufacturers deal with a company as fiio,

but certainly we are not talking about greatest screen or size even, we were just discussing if there is a much more power efficient screen available that will improve battery life, may be at the end it is cheaper than an LCD one, again i don't know about prices but it was just a though :wink:

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #998 of 1,222
Agreed.

i can't assume that i know prices of such screens or even how manufacturers deal with a company as fiio,

but certainly we are not talking about greatest screen or size even, we were just discussing if there is a much more power efficient screen available that will improve battery life, may be at the end it is cheaper than an LCD one, again i don't know about prices but it was just a though :wink:

Good thoughts, for sure, but it isn't just a matter of price. These screens are manufactured in large sheets and then cut to specific sizes as per the buyers request. If a buyer is not ordering a certain quantity, say 500K to 1Million orders, then the LCD/E-ink/OLED screen manufacturer will simply not produce the custom size cuts for you. It's BIG business and the small fish don't get to play. In the end FiiO needs to decide on what the best screen to use for their device will be from the choice of limited options already available.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #999 of 1,222
Good thoughts, for sure, but it isn't just a matter of price. These screens are manufactured in large sheets and then cut to specific sizes as per the buyers request. If a buyer is not ordering a certain quantity, say 500K to 1Million orders, then the LCD/E-ink/OLED screen manufacturer will simply not produce the custom size cuts for you. It's BIG business and the small fish don't get to play. In the end FiiO needs to decide on what the best screen to use for their device will be from the choice of limited options already available.

Super AMOLED 5.7" like they're found on samsung note series 
biggrin.gif

Joking aside, 

the screen used in X5ii has a great luminosity / contrast / colors, but would be a bit small to operate with a touch screen. 

But I'm sure there are a few options to chose from and that Fiio will go with the one that looks and works best. For a transport we don't need something too big, but not too small either. I think that anything between 3.5" and 5" is cool for me personally. Thing which makes the chosen option of 3.2 maybe a bit small for my hands, but then I've used a cowon J3 with 3.3" just fine, so I expect T3 to fit just right. 

A bigger screen helps, but should not be a priority for a transport. 

And it's really sad when a small company needs something. They generally have to buy something that remained unused. Happily, most of times there are many great quality components that remain unused, and can be put to great usage. 

But since they have announced the screen size, I think they already made the contract on the exact model that will be used. 

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,001 of 1,222
Maybe fiio is watching for chord impending announcements on the add on modules (and pricing) for the mojo before moving ahead?

True, if the add on module has an SD slot and can play music directly, it's an option for the mojo users not use any transport at all. No need to add touch screen as well since a bluetooth module is a way to control music from your phone.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #1,002 of 1,222
There are so many other applications for the T3 besides the Mojo. :wink_face:

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,003 of 1,222
There are so many other applications for the T3 besides the Mojo.
wink_face.gif

That's true, but still Fiio missed an opportunity imo. Let's just say some Mojo users waiting for the T3 may not consider it anymore once Chord release the module as expected. T3 is like a niche product within a niche market. Any opportunity lost will not be easily recovered.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,004 of 1,222
I don't think the T3 will stop selling just because a Mojo module is released.

As successful as Mojo is, there is a very wide array of DACs and DAC-amps (including Fiio's existing, and forthcoming, DAC-amps) which would still benefit from a device like the T3.

Remember, some people like having dedicated hardware buttons to control music playback without lifting a device out of one's pocket.

They also like the flexibility of being able to use their transport with multiple pieces of gear, rather than being restricted to using their investment with just one.

So, it's all relative.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,005 of 1,222
Indeed, a big part of the proposition for me here is that I can use this as a DAP on the move and a transport for my best rig at home and have all my music all the time and I don't have to have a noisy computer running anywhere in order to play music.

I think FiiO will be overwhelmed by demand once the great unwashed (i.e. non-Head-Fiers :wink: ) realise what they can do with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back