The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Apr 4, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #451 of 1,222
I would disagree that the smartphone is a good transport.  At least with Iphone, you need a special camera connecting kit that works .... for a bit....then cuts out .....and then complains that your DAC wants too much power.  Plus you need to use non standard software for hi res.  And its hard to transfer by folder on the iphone.

Actually the iphone is a very poor transport.  There.  Now I have said it.

Both my X3 Gen I and Gen II are great transports.  Rock solid when I tested the Chord Mojo.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #452 of 1,222
Agreed. I and used iP5s, iP6, Note3, Note5 as transport but other than software issue there were also intermittent disconnection issue, and the usb dac connection not recognized on the phone issues. The microUSB connector seems to be the main curlpit. I prefer optical over usb but probably won't ever see a phone with optical out.

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #453 of 1,222
I have damaged usb connectors too many times. Hence a personal preference for the 3.5mm TRS or TRRS coax which a transport will provide.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #455 of 1,222
Is there such a thing as 3.5 TRRS or TRRS coax ?

Yes. FiiO uses a 3.5mm TRRS jack because they share the line-out with coaxial out on their X3ii/X5ii/X7. T is left, R1 is right, R2 is shared ground, S is coaxial signal. It's a giant pain to get a cable and I've only found expensive custom options for a short cable to hook up to, say, a Mojo with a 3.5mm TS connection.

In the designs shown so far the coaxial is shared with optical, which would mean the coaxial would be 3.5mm TS. I sure hope it stays like that because a TRRS coaxial connection is a huge pain in the ***.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #457 of 1,222
Good to know im not the only one that hates my smartphone as a source.
I had a mojo and z5 but replaced the mojo with a dap. I found the mojo with phone annoying and other transport capable daps just a bit to thick to pair.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #458 of 1,222
This is why I need this device.

Indeed you do
L3000.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #459 of 1,222
  Indeed you do
L3000.gif

Hehehe
It is stacked for drama, usually the phone is separated from the stack vai a longer usb cable.  So dAC and hub sits on my lap, mobile in my hand/rests in my leg which commuting.

WHen walking to work from the train I just use my iPhone.

the only beauty of this stack, is as the memory fills up I just add another usb stick :p

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #460 of 1,222

Hehehe
It is stacked for drama, usually the phone is separated from the stack vai a longer usb cable.  So dAC and hub sits on my lap, mobile in my hand/rests in my leg which commuting.

WHen walking to work from the train I just use my iPhone.

the only beauty of this stack, is as the memory fills up I just add another usb stick :p

We suffer for this hobby of ours. In the early days before locating ultra short OTG cables I remember having my phone in my right hand pocket connected by a 50CM OTG to my Mojo in my left hand pocket with the cable under my jacket going around my back.

Yes we need this transport

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #461 of 1,222
  We suffer for this hobby of ours. In the early days before locating ultra short OTG cables I remember having my phone in my right hand pocket connected by a 50CM OTG to my Mojo in my left hand pocket with the cable under my jacket going around my back.

Yes we need this transport

OMG! That's some serious passion for music! :) I tried E6 with the X3 and a phone and ever since, it sit's in the box. Yes, we NEED a transport!

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #465 of 1,222
Seeing how James brought the idea up, and he is no longer with Fiio, I have a little doubt about them dropping this

James is the CEO. Joe is no longer with FiiO. You're getting your wires crossed. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back