The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Apr 1, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #423 of 1,222
  I have not been following this thread but I am excited to see it.
I have been looking for soemthing to strap to my mojo.  Currently using an old z3 compact phone which is working well, but something even more DAC/AMP for purpose would be great.

I think it ticks most of the boxes for me, except I have no need of Headphone Out and Line Out on such a device.
Optical, Coax, USB digital out and I am happy.

THat being said I would love to see 2 usb ports, one for charging, one for data.  Reason being so I dont have to unplug my dac every time I need to charge the transport.

Other than this, I think it looks good!

I think a very relevant point is being raised here: if it is a "pure" transport, why does it need a phone out/line out? All it really needs are the three digital outputs, isn't it?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #424 of 1,222
I think a very relevant point is being raised here: if it is a "pure" transport, why does it need a phone out/line out? All it really needs are the three digital outputs, isn't it?

It's been raised already for about 70% of this thread.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #425 of 1,222
Apr 1, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #426 of 1,222
And what seems to be the consensus?

Well, you can read the short thread to get the full story. Anyway, FiiO is adding a cheap, all in one, DAC/amp chip from Sabre to reach a broader market. There have already been quite a few posts requesting TOTL DAC/amp solutions for this transport so FiiO may face some market confusion on the device.

Here's a perfect example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799227/do-we-need-a-new-transport-when-there-are-so-many-hifi-daps-in-the-market/330#post_12422163

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #427 of 1,222
If people are focus on a " Pure " transport which not includes any DAC/AMP, it can be very easy to us to make such products in 1 week and just remove the DAC/AMP from the PCBA. 

for example, a X3/X5/X7 without amp/dac, will it satisfy our customers ? I don't think so. the key is not with or without amp/DAC , the key is size, price, storage, more digital/analog output and others. 

So, if we make a X3II without DAC/AMP , will you buy it ?

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #428 of 1,222
  If people are focus on a " Pure " transport which not includes any DAC/AMP, it can be very easy to us to make such products in 1 week and just remove the DAC/AMP from the PCBA. 

for example, a X3/X5/X7 without amp/dac, will it satisfy our customers ? I don't think so. the key is not with or without amp/DAC , the key is size, price, storage, more digital/analog output and others. 

Yes if it has all 3 digital output, full Android OS and Wifi + Bluetooth :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #429 of 1,222
Well, you can read the short thread to get the full story. Anyway, FiiO is adding a cheap, all in one, DAC/amp chip from Sabre to reach a broader market. There have already been quite a few posts requesting TOTL DAC/amp solutions for this transport so FiiO may face some market confusion on the device.

Here's a perfect example:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799227/do-we-need-a-new-transport-when-there-are-so-many-hifi-daps-in-the-market/330#post_12422163

Thanks, all clear. At this point though, whether the headphone and line out are the same doesn't change much, right?

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #430 of 1,222

An X3II certainly not, an X7 maybe...

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #431 of 1,222

Well, sort of.... If you can have 2 full sizes SD cards slots, slim profile and all digital output options with good battery life it would be exactly what users want for a transport. Such a device does not exist yet. I think you should include a touch screen instead of a scroll wheel. There is a market for it. Look at all the portable DAC/amps out there James. The Mojo is a huge success, the HA-2 is a huge success, hopefully your Q5 will be a huge success. There are many reasons to also have a high storage capacity transport to connect to desktop gear.

I fully understand why you want to include an inexpensive DAC/amp in the device, but I honestly feel it confuses people who want a transport and people who want a quality DAP. It blurs the line. If I, (strictly speaking for myself here) can save $50-70 I would. If you think it will sell better with a cheap DAC/amp then go for it, but as you can see it has caused some confusion.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #432 of 1,222
Thanks, all clear. At this point though, whether the headphone and line out are the same doesn't change much, right?

Correct. Not really a big deal.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #434 of 1,222

I personally thought that a consensus had already been agreed after many pages of discussions. 

new picture, just for reference cause we have not start the design so there may have big change . 

For demonstration purposes, something like this with USB's top and bottom

Personally the main objective would be large storage capacity, small size, connectivity and low cost which as far as I can see are also the goals of James and Fiio

the wishlist of all here are not all going to be met ever but a marketable compromise can be.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #435 of 1,222
This device will output pure digital signal from DSD files? And from SACD iso files?

And if I can make a request... As an X5 owner, I really MISS a "format/bit depth/sample rate/etc" little info window while playing a file. Something like Astell&Kern DAPs, Onkyo dp-x1 and some others already do. Can we expect this little but useful feature on this new Fiio hi-res player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back