THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from OLDSTOCK Hifiman (HE-4/5LE/6/400/500) into the NEWSTOCK (HE-400i/560) !!!
Jul 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #91 of 180
I've ordered lots of parts over customer service. They are very good about the orders, usually. I think the person you got is new, or just dumb

Okay upon further back and forth I guess her english is not too great which is probably what caused a ton of confusion on my end.

Her intent was to show me that in the picture that I would be receiving a headband with no earcups, the HE560 headband.  But she had no picture of a HE560 headband with no earcups so I guess she just randomly googled a pic.  I still have no idea why she called that picture a HE400i headband though.

Finally after so much effort with her I finally understood what she was trying to tell me.  I paid 50$ for the headband, hopefully it comes quick.  Does hifiman give you a tracking # for shipments?

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #92 of 180
Okay upon further back and forth I guess her english is not too great which is probably what caused a ton of confusion on my end.

Her intent was to show me that in the picture that I would be receiving a headband with no earcups, the HE560 headband.  But she had no picture of a HE560 headband with no earcups so I guess she just randomly googled a pic.  I still have no idea why she called that picture a HE400i headband though.

Finally after so much effort with her I finally understood what she was trying to tell me.  I paid 50$ for the headband, hopefully it comes quick.  Does hifiman give you a tracking # for shipments?
they have for me. They will prepare the shipment, then email you back with shipping info. They ship with DHL; super fast

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #93 of 180
they have for me. They will prepare the shipment, then email you back with shipping info. They ship with DHL; super fast

you were right, they arrived this morning.  2 days from hong kong thats crazy lol.

I am about to attemp the mod but one thing I am uncertain of is after everything is removed from the earcup housing, what size hold should I drill into the earcup to enlarge it?

A previous post said 5.5mm "wick hole" so im not sure if he was describing the hole I am wondering about.

Can someone let me know what size they used for enlarging the earcup holes?

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #94 of 180
you were right, they arrived this morning.  2 days from hong kong thats crazy lol.

I am about to attemp the mod but one thing I am uncertain of is after everything is removed from the earcup housing, what size hold should I drill into the earcup to enlarge it?

A previous post said 5.5mm "wick hole" so im not sure if he was describing the hole I am wondering about.

Can someone let me know what size they used for enlarging the earcup holes?
hole for what? You dont need to enlarge the earcups

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #96 of 180
The screw holes for the brass fitments in the HE500 cups.  Dont i need to enlarge those to make the HE560 headband fit the stock he500 cups?

Just get rid of the ringed brass fitting. Check the first page witb instructions on how to do it. You dont need to enlarge anything

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #97 of 180
Just get rid of the ringed brass fitting. Check the first page witb instructions on how to do it. You dont need to enlarge anything

Step 8:
We'll fix that hole right up!

Let's make that sloppy little hole into a nice big clean one.  The HE-400i yolk has prongs instead of screws to keep everything together.  Once the holes are shaped, we'll have easy access for future modding!

Get yourself some cheap prison files from Habor Frieght...

You can do this part by hand...                                              But it's soooo much faster with a drill!                                     Final touches may require some hand-dee-work

All cleaned up...                                                                    What a looker...                                                                      Make sure it fits before proceeding!

Step 8 of the original post, I dont need to drill or enlarge these holes?

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #101 of 180
I just finished the mod, took me around 3 hours since I broke one of the wires.  I had to resolder it on without tearing the magnet open, which was extremely difficult considering there is not alot of space to maneuver around.

This mod really stressed me out lol.

Those brass inserts were really a pain to get out, I actually ended up twisting the plastic frame slowly to get it out since all 4 of my screws connected to the brass inserts were stripped.

As far as the correct size drill bit, it is indeed 5.5mm or 7/32.  Im not sure why previous poster told me I didnt need to enlarge anything, you absolutely do 100%.

Comfort has increased at least 10 fold, its a night and day difference between the stock HE500 headband.  Feels alot lighter as well.

For me the mod was stressful, however at the end of it now it was worth absolutely worth it.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #102 of 180
So you ended up paying 50$ for the HE-560 headband and kept your old HE-500 cups. Didn't they have any HE-560 cups for you to purchase ?
This is probably the route I'm gonna go too.
So long story short, remove the HE-500 drivers from the old cups. Remove the old headband connectors from the old cups, drill the hole bigger ( 5.5 ) - fit the new headband on the old cups via the bigger holes, put the drivers back in and thats it :D
What I am curious about though .. if I decide to get the HE-560 cups as well ( if they have them anyway ) - would I be required to purchase HE-560 pads or the ones I already have from my HE-500s will fit ?

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #104 of 180
Anyone stil has their original HE500 headband by any chance? The reason why found this thread was cause one of my cans just broke loose cause of the idiotic design they had by having the 2 screws tight fitted into plastic :| I tried fitting some 2 smaller screws but of course I managed to completely ruin the plastic "cap" that initially came loose :D
I received an email from their Customer Service that they dont sell the HE500 headband and now I asked if I can purchase the HE-560 one in order to do this mod and I am very afraid they might refuse this also :| In case of a refusal I am willing to purchase an original HE-500 band in case you guys still have it and it's not broken of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back