The ultimate desktop microphone! (250 $)
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KO95

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi-Forum! 

On my agenda is a beast microphone for about 250 dollars. The mic will be used on both Windows & Mac for speaking purpose aswell as some singing too. 

I've looked at the classic: Blue Yeti micorphone. Looked around at Shure's website aswell as Rhode's. But my question remains: Is there any better alterantive than The Blue Yeti, for the price tag?

Any kind of suggestions would be very much appreciated! 
Thanks in advance! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm also on the lookout for this exact thing. I will tell you that if you get a Blue Yeti then you don't want to get the Pro version.

In order to make the pro version work with things like guitar amps and drums the engineers and Blue put a 10dB pad on the microphone. I'm in the process of sending my Pro for RMA to have the pad removed.

Just wanted to let you know.

I've also tried the Samson Meteor which was actually pretty damn good (although no gain control or noise reduction) and also the Rode NT1a but that one seemed to be more of a hassle to setup because of the way it's mounted.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 10
I've used the Blue Snowball a few times, i found the quality to be excellent for the price. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm sorry, but the Blue Snowball is nowhere near the best for under $250.

For speaking and singing you'll have to look into a condenser studio class microphone. Those however are usually $400 and over unless you find a good deal, on say, Craigslist. As for your $250 budget, I recommend the Blue Spark Digital. You'll realize when using it, that it sounds a whole lot better than the Blue Yeti/Yeti Pro in terms of vocal placement and clarity. 

Cardioid setting (for vocals) on my Yeti Pro is not nearly as good as the Spark/Spark Digital. Those microphones should only be used for instrument recording or interviews as it grasps more of the surround energy in the room rather than what's in front of it.

Personally, now, I have a Blue Baby Bottle and Blueberry. I would say the Baby Bottle (if found for $235-275 used) will sound smoother, more centered, and musical than the Spark. Mine has been modified (internal caps/wire change) because i liked it that much. There are quite a good number of Korean artists in South Korea who use the Baby Bottle for studio work as well, so it's highly recommended.

Go with the Spark Digital if it's just a hobby or the Baby Bottle if you are getting more serious into recordings (or have money to blow).

redface.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 10
The Rode NT-1A is a respectable LDC that comes in under $250, you'll get used to the side-address nature, and all LDC mics are side-address, it's not really a hassle.  It has one significant advantage: the lowest self-noise of any mic in its class.  Also look at the Shure Beta 87C (that's a front-address), AKG Perception 420.  There are quite a few Chinese LDC mics under $200 from Behringer, M-Audio, Studio Projects, Samson etc.  Many use the same capsules, and there are lots of mods around if you Google a bit.  There are also some great deals on used mics under $250, you might even score an AKG 414 if you're patient. 

This question would get more response at Gearsluz...

edit: A used Electrovoice RE20 would be under $250...happens to be the broadcast standard (the RE27 is bigger, and more impressive, but frankly sounds far worse).  Both are front-address dynamics. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 10
  I'm sorry, but the Blue Snowball is nowhere near the best for under $250.

For speaking and singing you'll have to look into a condenser studio class microphone. Those however are usually $400 and over unless you find a good deal, on say, Craigslist. As for your $250 budget, I recommend the Blue Spark Digital. You'll realize when using it, that it sounds a whole lot better than the Blue Yeti/Yeti Pro in terms of vocal placement and clarity. 

Well, my experience with mic's more expensive than the Blue snowball is pretty limited 
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 10

Well, my experience with mic's more expensive than the Blue snowball is pretty limited 
redface.gif

I hope you made that statement while owning other mics rather than the snowball itself.

Like what you said, yes, there is a limit for microphones, but have you compared the snowball to slighter higher range mics?
The slightly higher ones are better than the snowball by a long shot, making the snowball sound very closed in and unclear. 
Something cheap like the Audio Technica AT2020 would be way better for singing/speaking purposes.

Microphones within range of $60-500 would improve by climbing up the value ladder, but your statement only works on mics over $500, where just like headphones, it starts to become a sound preference thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back