The UE18 Pro: Ultimate Ears Announces Their New Flagship Custom IEM
Jan 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #46 of 280
actually the cable doesnt look braided, looks similar to something ive seen before
wink.gif
looks like dual twisted pair but the twists are twisted
wink.gif
less crosstalk that way I hear.

I think JH13 are still more to my taste by the sounds of the review, so i'm not fussed. I thought it was going to be 8 drivers a side with that name.

only thing i'm jealous of with UE customs is the artwork

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #47 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So not cool. My JH13 order is pending!!

I really wouldn't be upset. The UE18 maybe UE's flagship but that doesn't make it better than the 13's..and jude has initially confirmed that with quick impressions. And trust me, my 13's were sounding absolutely golden this morning, you will not be disappointed

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #48 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually the cable doesnt look braided, looks similar to something ive seen before
wink.gif
looks like dual twisted pair but the twists are twisted
wink.gif
less crosstalk that way I hear.

I think JH13 are still more to my taste by the sounds of the review, so i'm not fussed. I thought it was going to be 8 drivers a side with that name.

only thing i'm jealous of with UE customs is the artwork

I thought it was going to be 9 drivers initially since I am so use to jh sorta basing their naming unit on the total amount of drivers kinda deal.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #49 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wouldn't be upset. The UE18 maybe UE's flagship but that doesn't make it better than the 13's..and jude has initially confirmed that with quick impressions. And trust me, my 13's were sounding absolutely golden this morning, you will not be disappointed

exactly it is 6 drivers vs 6 drivers...sounds like this battle may come down to preference rather then actual supieriority

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #51 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by crumpler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Ultimate Ears 18 Pro is available with the optional ambient feature to allow for stage bleed while controlling the isolation effect."

What exactly is the "optional ambient feature"? How does it even work?

It's essentially just a thin tube that goes from the outside to inside of the monitor. It lowers the isolation from 26 dB to something less. There is also the option to plug it later if it's no longer desired.

This is a very cool announcement, BTW. I suspected something like this would be coming, but I didn't expect it until this summer. Almost OT, but I wonder what Westone is up to...

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #52 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
exactly it is 6 drivers vs 6 drivers...sounds like this battle may come down to preference rather then actual supieriority

and it sounds like the UE18 is tuned for a more bassy sound so yes personal preference will be the order of the day. If the 18's can match the 13's in speed and detail then it would be a nice situation..those preferring a neutral monitor get the 13's, those who like a bassier sound get the 18's, because previous its 13's for neutrallity or 11's (of either company) for bass and the 11's are a clear step below the 13's (well the JH11's are anyway), so now the 13's have a true bassier competitor. Now we just need Westone's 6-way and we're all square
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #54 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOAHHH!!

Figured UE won't just sit there and let JHaudio take all their business anyways.
wink.gif

That's in the eye of the beholder, of course, considering a certain amount of that was JHA's business in the first place.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #55 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's in the eye of the beholder, of course, considering a certain amount of that was JHA's business in the first place.

Hmmmm, you definitely have a point there. People will follow Jerry wherever he goes.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #57 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody wonder, why it is UE 18 and not for example 12/13/14? I have theory, they just want to have something with name that shows it is better than Jh 13.

It's because they are trying to one-up Jerry Harvey and his upcoming JH16 Pro which I believe is also supposed to be officially launched sometime in January here. From what we're hearing from Jerry about it, it might be a direct competitor with the UE18, as the JH16 is also supposed to be designed more for the onstage performer.

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #58 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's because they are trying to one-up Jerry Harvey and his upcoming JH16 Pro which I believe is also supposed to be officially launched sometime in January here. From what we're hearing from Jerry about it, it might be a direct competitor with the UE18, as the JH16 is also supposed to be designed more for the onstage performer.

So JH and UE will be leapfrogging each other it seems. If there is a JH16, is this supposed to be somewhat closer in tonality to the UE18? I prefer a bit more bass (being a bass player) but want it tight. I currently have UE11's and don't think it is too bass heavy or mushy but haven't heard JH13's to compare. On the JH13 appreciation thread, most of the reviews are stellar but I don't see which of these users are musicians vs. audiophiles. I almost pulled the trigger on JH13's but was asked by UE (when trying to recover my molds) to wait a few days leading up to this announcement. Now I have the dilemma of which one to go with or even to consider waiting for a JH16.

Yikes!

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #59 of 280
Considering Jerry Harvey has one upped UE on their audiophile iem's I really don't doubt that the jh-16 could be superior to the ue-18 at being that kind of iem. I mean if anyone knows how to make a custom it would be him :p. Did anyone see they have a ue1 pro now too?

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 280
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering Jerry Harvey has one upped UE on their audiophile iem's I really don't doubt that the jh-16 could be superior to the ue-18 at being that kind of iem. I mean if anyone knows how to make a custom it would be him :p. Did anyone see they have a ue1 pro now too?

I would expect a lot of subjectivity in what would be "superior". I've seen some users saying that one of the JH products (I don't recall which, maybe the JH11) is what the UE11 was supposed to be but don't see the specifics as to what was intended vs. what is currently shipping. If someone knows, I'd like to understand this. My UE11's are extremely good but again, I don't have anything else to compare them with to see what could be lacking.

If there is some way to specifically say that the JH drivers are better and backed with data, I would then agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back