The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #91 of 547
I'm trying to stay with a cable or neckband type because I want to at least make an effort to somewhat reduce the Bluetooth that's right next to my brain, let alone shooting directly across it. It may be entirely misguided, but that consideration is influencing my choices here.

You do realize most of the times you can put normal, shirt clip equipped BT adapter further away from your brain than cable / neck band type?

Here is my Qudelix 5K

DSC_0013.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #92 of 547
DSC_0018.jpg

Some quick impression:

1. Bendable ear hook, a big plus.
  2. Seems to have much more power than FiiO / TRN variants.
  3. TWS+ supported, another plus.
  4. Don't like the magnetic charging design as that's one more cable I need to carry around.
  5. Buttons placement isn't great.
  6. On / off sound are way too loud.
Still waiting for my 2 pins to mmcx adapter to arrive so I can try it on more earphones, but so far the experience is positive overall.
Do you have IEMs that hissed with TRN to test for hissing on these?

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #93 of 547
Do you have IEMs that hissed with TRN to test for hissing on these?

Don''t really have any hiss prone IEM to test...

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 547
Would you consider a BT dac/amp? You could use a short cable and clip it to your shirt or hang it from a lanyard.

I don't have them but the Radsone ES100, Fiio BTR3K/BTR5 or Quedelix 5K seem to be the more popular ones.
Those look very interesting. If they sound better than the FiiO LC-BT2 and closer to the 3.5 mm cable, I'll be quite happy. I can clip it not only to my shirt but also to the waist pack I usually wear while training -- which means a cable down my back but that's fine since that still accomplishes the most important thing I'm after which is free up my phone so I'm not wrestling with a cable every time I grab my phone and go to re-holster it (I wear a belt-clip holster for the phone).

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #95 of 547
Just downloaded a silence track to test with the Massdrop Plus and I can hear fainted hiss in the background. Given Massdrop Plus is not on its own a particular hiss prone IEM, there is definitely a chance WS-1 will hiss with more sensitive IEM.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #96 of 547
Just downloaded a silence track to test with the Massdrop Plus and I can hear fainted hiss in the background. Given Massdrop Plus is not on its own a particular hiss prone IEM, there is definitely a chance WS-1 will hiss with more sensitive IEM.
Thank you so much for the test.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #99 of 547
That sure is an interesting way to modify an earbud to use as a TWS lol.

2 pin and MMCX. Any sound signature changes with less volume in the housing of the earbud?

Have to measure to be sure, but so far I didn't hear any negative impact to the overall sound.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #100 of 547
Thanks @ClieOS for all the testing with the WS-1.. Let us know when you get a chance to test with other mmcx connected IEMs and especially some multi-driver ones if you have...

Edit: By the way, how is the battery life so far Bro?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #101 of 547
Thanks @ClieOS for all the testing with the WS-1.. Let us know when you get a chance to test with other mmcx connected IEMs and especially some multi-driver ones if you have...

Edit: By the way, how is the battery life so far Bro?

Official spec lists it as 'up to 9 hours'. I haven't drained it completely yet, but judging on how fast the battery is dropping I'll say I probably can get around 8~9 hours out of mine.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #102 of 547
See EDIT at bottom regarding the relocation of the rest of this discussion.

I am ready to buy and try one of these BT adapters, and would love advice on which to get:
  • ES100
  • FiiO BTR3K/BTR5
  • Quedelix 5K
I'm using Shure SE425 IEMs with a Samsung S9 with LDAC enabled, playing Tidal and Spotify, mainly soft rock.

Whatever I buy, I expect I'll use LDAC.

I have yet to find anything that adds amp or EQ that I like -- seems to compromise more than it improves -- but I haven't tried a lot or spent a lot. (Tried Wavelet EQ app, which I deleted. Tried FiiO LC-BT2 neckband BT adapter with MMCX connectors and returned it -- even using LDAC it didn't sound nearly as good as the Shure RMCE-BT2 BT adapter using AptX. I even tried the Shure SE535 IEMs and returned them because I prefer the natural sound of the SE425).

Sometimes I feel I would like a bit more oomph at the low end with the SE425, but when I play a song that delivers serious bass (beginning of 50 Way to Leave Your Lover, for instance) it's already solid at a rock, so what would I gain by boosting when the SE425 is stellar at natural, unadulterated sound? So I doubt I'd use, say, the EQ in the Quedelix 5K, but who knows? I'm happy to try. I just would prefer not having to buy and try three products, so advice is greatly appreciated.

AND... it's important to me that I can use the in-line controls on the Shure cable that came with the SE425 (skip track, vol, play/pause, assistant, and the mic to at least answer a call and tell them I need a moment to get off that headset). I hope that's realistic with one of those adapters. I will be using it mainly while practicing tai chi and such, which means it will be clipped to the back of my waist-pack belt. Though I guess I can keep it 45 degrees on the side/back on the belt and reach down to hit buttons to do all that. I guess it might be even easier than grabbing the on-cable control.

EDIT: As suggested to me (below), I moved the rest of this discussion to here.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #103 of 547
AND... it's important to me that I can use the in-line controls on the Shure cable that came with the SE425 (skip track, vol, play/pause, assistant, and the mic to at least answer a call and tell them I need a moment to get off that headset). I hope that's realistic with one of those adapters. I will be using it mainly while practicing tai chi and such, which means it will be clipped to the back of my waist-pack belt. Though I guess I can keep it 45 degrees on the side/back on the belt and reach down to hit buttons to do all that. I guess it might be even easier than grabbing the on-cable control.

This discussion is probably more suitable here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-8-jul-20-qudelix-5k-impression-added.906655/

The three BT adapters that I know that can work with inline remote+mic are BTR3K, BTR5 and 5K, so you can cross ES100 out of your list. Haven't actually tested 5K on that particular function yet but I'll report back once I did.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #104 of 547

Users who are viewing this thread

Back