The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #106 of 547
@ClieOS Bro did you get a chance to test it with any MMCX IEM yet? last time you were still waiting for the adapter.. :relaxed:

Yep, I already have the adapter since a week ago - the overall impression however remains the same. Overall I like the SQ and power, but don't like the buttons placement and magnetic charging. It does hiss slightly with sensitive IEM so I keep it mainly to harder to drive, high impedance earphones.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #107 of 547
Baskingshark posted about these in the TWS thread, TRN's upcoming BT20S Pro:

109996611_10158189730454792_9073990081529922867_n.jpg
110337367_10158189730389792_5164336603949371961_n.jpg

Ibasso posted their new CF01.
1.png
ŠņĮŠ 01.00_00_49_02.Still010.jpg

Looks like some new contenders. Showed up as I was considering getting the UTWS1. Fiio mentioned they have an upcoming UTWS3 as well, no details or pics yet.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #108 of 547
TRN learns something from Fostex's TM2 modular design, that's good. I wonder if FiiO UTWS3 will be another collaboration with TRN again, which could very well be a tweaked version of this new TRN.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #109 of 547
I have the TRN BT20s with my moondrop Starfields, enjoy it quite a bit. If the pros are an improvement on it, and also add volume control, i will be sure to pick it up

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #110 of 547
I have the TRN BT20s with my moondrop Starfields, enjoy it quite a bit. If the pros are an improvement on it, and also add volume control, i will be sure to pick it up

No dice unfortunately.
1099841002-699707481.jpg

If you don't care about the case or interchangeable connectors/ear hooks, the Fiio UTWS1 is a tweaked/modified BT20S that has volume control.

Perhaps the rumored UTWS3 will be like the UTWS1 which was a modified version of the BT20S that had volume control (and a lower noise floor afaik).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #111 of 547
My preordered iBasso CF01 should arrive in less than 2 weeks. I like the OE Audio WS-1 quite a bit, hopefully CF01 will be even better.

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #113 of 547
I just went through TRN's Aliexpress store to look at the new BT20s Pro and it seems to me, at least as far as the spec has suggested, that the new BT20s Pro is merely the old BT20s with modular adapter and battery case design, and then almost doubling the price. I'll probably going to skip this one as I already have the BT20s and I don't need more of the same thing sound wise. Besides, I think I am slightly spoiled by WS-1 for now.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #115 of 547
In a span of few weeks, suddenly so many decent options! I was almost ready to get the WS-1,but then I see this ibasso adapter. Some more the shure aonic 215 is available in stock finally! Unfortunately still not available locally but hopefully soon, now that is available in US. The battery case is a great idea in my opinion, otherwise charging the two sides individually can be a pain in the neck..

I wonder if there will be a version with LDAC or aptx HD support.. And will it really make any difference when compared to just aptx.. I really like the sound coming from the wired se846.. If a Bluetooth adapter can replicate that to a large extent, then I am fine with it.. Doesn't have to be perfect.. Trade off some quality for convenience.. But only a bit.. If the Bluetooth adapter makes it sound terrible, then no point again.. So waiting for some reviews for all these adapters..

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #116 of 547
In a span of few weeks, suddenly so many decent options! I was almost ready to get the WS-1,but then I see this ibasso adapter. Some more the shure aonic 215 is available in stock finally! Unfortunately still not available locally but hopefully soon, now that is available in US. The battery case is a great idea in my opinion, otherwise charging the two sides individually can be a pain in the neck..

I wonder if there will be a version with LDAC or aptx HD support.. And will it really make any difference when compared to just aptx.. I really like the sound coming from the wired se846.. If a Bluetooth adapter can replicate that to a large extent, then I am fine with it.. Doesn't have to be perfect.. Trade off some quality for convenience.. But only a bit.. If the Bluetooth adapter makes it sound terrible, then no point again.. So waiting for some reviews for all these adapters..

Unless you are very partial to Shure as a brand, I won't put AONIC 215 on the top of any recommendation list. The earpiece itself is just regular SE215, which is slightly dated for today's standard as a sub-$100 IEM (*it was released some 9 years ago!). The wireless adapter on their own are listed at $180 - which is more expensive than either WS-1 or CF-01 while doesn't seems to offer anything more than that of BT-20s or UTWS1 spec wise. Only supporting TWS mode but not TWS+ mode is also disappointing. The only good thing is that its has a dedicated app to add a bit more function, otherwise I don't see much attraction there.

On a different note - don't hold your breath for LDAC or aptX-HD to come to TWS setup anytime soon. The current wireless bandwidth speed under BT5.0 for TWS setup is only just enough to run aptX. To support a more complex 'Hi-res' BT codec, we will either have to increase the communication speed (*which doesn't seems to going to happen till beyond BT5.2) or create a more compressed BT codec (*which will also require more powerful SoC to decode). Neither will be easy or cheap.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #118 of 547
Unless you are very partial to Shure as a brand, I won't put AONIC 215 on the top of any recommendation list. The earpiece itself is just regular SE215, which is slightly dated for today's standard as a sub-$100 IEM (*it was released some 9 years ago!). The wireless adapter on their own are listed at $180 - which is more expensive than either WS-1 or CF-01 while doesn't seems to offer anything more than that of BT-20s or UTWS1 spec wise. Only supporting TWS mode but not TWS+ mode is also disappointing. The only good thing is that its has a dedicated app to add a bit more function, otherwise I don't see much attraction there.

On a different note - don't hold your breath for LDAC or aptX-HD to come to TWS setup anytime soon. The current wireless bandwidth speed under BT5.0 for TWS setup is only just enough to run aptX. To support a more complex 'Hi-res' BT codec, we will either have to increase the communication speed (*which doesn't seems to going to happen till beyond BT5.2) or create a more compressed BT codec (*which will also require more powerful SoC to decode). Neither will be easy or cheap.

You make good points Bro about the Shure aonic 215... To be fair, I am only interested in the adapter as well. But if the cheaper ones are just as good, then no point really.. Also, in Singapore I still cannot even find the Shure aonic.

So did you get the ibasso CF01? Eagerly waiting for your review on that...

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #119 of 547
So did you get the ibasso CF01? Eagerly waiting for your review on that...

Still on its way to me, probably be here in next few days.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #120 of 547
CF01.JPG

Got my iBasso CF-01 yesterday but only get to listen to it today. So here are a few impression:

1) The design of the case is very nice - roomy on the inside, even for a pair of CIEM. I especially like the built-in air cushion that will offer quite a lot of protection to the earpiece.

2) I COMPLETELY dislike the smooth outer finishing of the case - it is very slippy and I almost had the case flying out of my hand a few times when I tried to open the case by one hand.

3) The adapters themselves are nicely finished. The actual size is even smaller than TRN BT20s / FiiO UTWS1, but so are the overall battery life (if you don't consider the battery case). Cable isn't rigid like other but not completely soft either, which I like. Button placement on the top is acceptable, though I prefer it on the side.

3) No hissing detected with my MassDrop Plus.

4) Output impedance is a WHOOPING and very disappointing 20 ohm (measured twice to confirm, which kinda explain why it doesn't hiss at all)

I listened to CF-01 with my dual driver MassDrop Plus first, and it sounded very warm and almost slightly veil - which is not the normal MassDrop Plus's warmish neutral reference sound that I am fairly familiar to, and that made me feel suspicious. A quick measurement revealed that the CF-01 has a very much unforgivable 20 ohm output impedance and that just mess up how MassDrop Plus is supposed to sound. In contrast, OE Audio WS-1 manages just 0.5 ohm of output impedance even though it hiss very faintly with Massdrop Plus (*only on near silence passage and usually close to undetectable during music playback). With an MMCX-to-2-pins adapter, I listened to CF-01 again with MoonDrop SSR (*which is one of my recent good find) - being a single dynamic that doesn't get affected much by output impedance, SSR sounds much more 'correct' than Plus. I can tell SSR still sounds slightly warmer, richer and smoother than usual, but at least it is not offensive.

At this point I am not sure I'll recommend CF-01 - it does a lot of things right, namely the premier overall design and the finishing of the adapters; But it has its faults as well, namely the overly smooth outer finishing and that 20 ohm elephant in the room that can't be ignored by anyone who intends to use CF-01 with multi-driver IEM (*which will probably be like > 90% of people out there these days). Ouch! (and considered this is by far the most expensive TWS adapter I bought yet!!!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back