The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 546

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Convenience is the KING!

Here is a thread dedicated to all discussion related to BT adapters in the forms of TWS (True Wireless Stereo), neckband and cable style that has has user removable connectors (2 pins, MMCX, A2DC, etc) and designed to allows the user to convert wired IEM / earbuds to wireless.

----------------------------------

Output Impedance
TRN BT20: < 1 ohm
TRN BT20s: < 1 ohm
FiiO UTWS1: ~ 11 ohm
OE Audio WS-1: 0.5 ohm
iBasso CF01: 20 ohm
FiiO UTWS3 ~ 1.5 ohm
TRN BT30: 3.3 ohm
FiiO UTWS5: 0.4 ohm
iFi GO Pod ~ 0.5 ohm

p/s: Output impedance is important for a few aspects when it comes to headphone, but the most important part for IEM, which ultimately is what TWS adapters are designed for, is that overly high output impedance tends to color (or even mess up) the original frequency response of the IEM, especially those with multi-drivers. Some might like the coloration but ultimately the idea of 'HiFi' is that the source should be as clean as possible and let the headphones do their job of transcribing the music. A high output impedance on the source device is just a random factor that the user has no control over, thus making it less than ideal and the user has to hope that the coloration will work in his/her favor. It is already hard enough to find a pair of IEM that you like, then you need to hope the source won't color it the wrong way? I don't think so - and TWS adapter manufactures shouldn't cut corner on engineering, thinking that a pair of resistors is the 'right' solution for lowering hiss. Even if you have no other option except resistors on the output, at least be honest about it so user can make an informed decision.

----------------------------------

Impression

FiiO LC-BT2 by @Technological

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 546
Reserved

DSC_0007.jpg

ELC-BT.JPG

Impression on TRN BT20, BT20S, FiiO UTWS1 and Elecom LBT-HPC1000RC to come...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 546
Curious on the FiiO UTWS1 impression compared to the BT20S. As they look the same.

I've had a lot, but needing AAC for the IPhone as a source, the FiiO RC-BT has been pretty good. It would be interesting to see which codecs are supported for each one too. It doesn't seem like the codec support is as thorough compared to the dongles.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 546
Curious on the FiiO UTWS1 impression compared to the BT20S. As they look the same.

I've had a lot, but needing AAC for the IPhone as a source, the FiiO RC-BT has been pretty good. It would be interesting to see which codecs are supported for each one too. It doesn't seem like the codec support is as thorough compared to the dongles.

Yes, they do look almost identical on the outside. I haven't taken them apart (as they are both glued together), but the Qualcomm chipset (QCC3020) they used are the same as well - that means their SQ isn't going to be far from each other. In fact, Fostex TM2 uses the same chip (QCC3026, which is basically the same chip as QCC3020 but in a different packaging) but cost over 8x as much.

There are namely just two companies that supply most of the TWS chipsets right now, and TWS chipsets (which comes in a pair of course) is less efficient than a single stereo BT chipset, making the choice of codec very limited as more advanced codec will require more bandwidth that the current generation of TWS chipsets are simply not capable of.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 546
If I am not mistaken with the Fiio UTWS1 you have volume control... interested in how this works in practice.

No, it is just like TRN BT20 / BT20S - no on-board volume control. You control the volume via Smartphone's volume control.

I stand corrected

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 546
Ok, thanks for clarifying that.
Actually the UTWS1 has volume control; as well as Siri on iPhone.

I just received mine.
The volume control works fine: click right earphone for volume up, left earphone volume down.
It changes the phone's volume output (not a separated volume control like BTR5 or ES100)

Paired them to Tin Audio T2 and no background noise issue so far :)

Controls are explained on the UTWS1 product page https://fiio.com/utws1

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 546
I stand corrected.

Also worth noting, Shure announced the Aonic 215 on CES that is basically SE215 with a TWS module.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 546
Also posted this in the long TWS thread, but thought I would also ask here
Just got a UTWS1, and having connection problems. Lots of glitches where a TRN bt20 is working fine.
Also had problems pairing the first time, but did pair right up after a power cycle having been already paired.
It sounds fine otherwise, but as it is its basically unusable with my phone.

Randy

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 546
Also posted this in the long TWS thread, but thought I would also ask here
Just got a UTWS1, and having connection problems. Lots of glitches where a TRN bt20 is working fine.
Also had problems pairing the first time, but did pair right up after a power cycle having been already paired.
It sounds fine otherwise, but as it is its basically unusable with my phone.

Randy

UTWS1 uses TWS+ configuration instead of the simpler TWS configuration on the BT20s - so it might be a bit more complicated to setup at first. But once do, it should be more stable than BT20s. My experience is, always turn both side on together and let them connect to each other first, then pair it with your smartphone. It usually is easier that way.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 546
UTWS1 uses TWS+ configuration instead of the simpler TWS configuration on the BT20s - so it might be a bit more complicated to setup at first. But once do, it should be more stable than BT20s. My experience is, always turn both side on together and let them connect to each other first, then pair it with your smartphone. It usually is easier that way.

Thanks for the info.

I did turn them both on, maybe I didn't let them connect to each other. But the initial setup isn't my real problem, its the not good connection I'm getting with these.
I had turned off phone calls in the options before, I turned it back on now and that seems to make it better. Either that or they like it better here at home then at work. So much less glitchy now, but still not at good as my BT20 (not BT20s, the older original BT20). The BT20 gives me a rock solid connection, hardly ever drop outs. Only if I'm out and about, and likely walking by a strong transmitter.

With the UTWS1's, sometimes if I touch them or move a little and a channel drops out for a sec. They've done it maybe 10 times while I've been typing this response. And I'm sitting on my sofa at home where they should be perfect.

So I'm pretty disappointed, was expecting them to give a much better connection. Too bad because they do sound good when they do connect right, but way too many dropouts.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 546
Older BT20 uses Realtek chips that only support up to AAC, so it has a less demanding wireless connection. BT20s and UTWS1 both use the newer Qualcomm chips that supports aptX, which is more demanding. Depend on your smartphone, it might be possible to go into the developer setting to disable aptX and force it into AAC mode, that way it will likely get a little more stable.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 546
I have an old, rooted S6. In the options, it shows "HD audio: AAC" and that is currently on. No option for aptX. I've played with developer mode before, but never figured out how to make the settings stay, and I'm not going to go into that setup screen every time I want to listen.

And I really don't think I should have to. I really didn't expect them to have this many dropout problems with my phone.

I did try turning off AAC, and its better. But still dropouts if I move my phone around, so still not acceptable performance to me.

One of the reasons why I went with the UTWS1 over a TWS is because with its bigger form factor, I figured it would have a bigger antenna and I should have a really rock solid connection. But for whatever reason, not happening here.

Randy

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 546
Don't really know what would be the cause. My UTWS1 connection is pretty solid, better than BT20 and BT20s for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back