the truth ???
Feb 10, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #332 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I added n2xe's SR80 for you, for future reference:

graphlt2.png

Finally, we have a new flavour of the month!

I liked this one better. I almost choked on my food when I saw it.

bellsprout, yours looks so authentic that I don't know what to say...

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #334 of 372
OMG! SR80s must be the undiscovered gems of headphones. They're more revealing then the mighty Orpheus!!!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

graphCompare.jpg

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #336 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFireArow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Angularvelocity.png

"Angular velocity describes the speed of rotation"

Do sine waves rotate-seriously I'm not sure I just started physics.

Using the model of a sine wave drawn by a dot painted on a wheel moving through space and time, mathematically you can use the same math as describes the motion of the dot on the wheel in describing the shape of a sine wave. However, in reality of course, we are describing a pressure wave traveling through air, not a dot on the outer circumference of a wheel. But the math works fine, as do other mathematical models used to describe sound that are derived from analogous physical models. Don't take it seriously... just another way of using math to be able to make predictions - not an actual description of "reality".

The same angular velocity math conveniently explains a gyroscope. Pretty versatile!

Anyway, this is irrelevant.

What matters to this discourse is that there are many head-fiers here on this forum who are genuinely into budget audiophile audio as much as nx2e is, and that is a good thing. I hope to see more input. A big difference is that typical head-fiers who pursue their quest for high-quality at a low cost do so without bashing the head-fiers who like to see what the high end offers. There is room for both types of people. And Shure E4 fans are permitted to exist as well. Scientific arguments are not really required to make the point that you can get a lot for your money in this day and age, but some people want such proof. That is OK as well. As it is OK for others to go by their own preferences and personal hearing tests. Room for everybody. That's why I like it here at head-fi.com.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #337 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if one were to say that you can get good audio from an ipod and headphone under $200.....no one would refute that. I certainly believe in focusing on a budget. There's been no intellectual debate about how the audio quality of an expensive setup compares, though, so as such you cannot take the "article" or this thread seriously.

Also, I wonder how credible n2xe's ears are since he's just claimed that he hears more bass out of the SR325i vs the CX300. Technical data begs to differ:

graphCompare.php

but maybe that's his humor surfacing again
biggrin.gif

Don't forget, the 325i have a relatively "flat" sound signature as well. HeadRoom must have very flawed data...

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #338 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didn't actually see that. evilking's a lot better

Sorry lol I didn't mean that yours was bad... you know what I mean though
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #339 of 372
@tbritton,
Ahhh, the EMS VCS3 Synth......

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #340 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is why I asked where the data comes from. Particularly when the source of the data is boasting about spending more than $600 on snake oil. This one post by Bellsprout is really all my article was about.

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #341 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget, the 325i have a relatively "flat" sound signature as well. HeadRoom must have very flawed data...

I am curious how they are measuring the frequency response of an IEM since it depends greatly on the ear canal itself. I'm also suspicious about the identical marked drop in response at about 10 kHz for both an IEM and a full size over-the-ear phone. It doesn't pass the smell test. Either there are some serious systematic flaws in instrumentation of someone is just making up the data. I may be dead wrong but this really looks suspicious. Can someone post a link where I can find technical data on the origin of these curves?

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #342 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by n2xe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why I asked where the data comes from. Particularly when the source of the data is boasting about spending more than $600 on snake oil. This one post by Bellsprout is really all my article was about.

eek.gif

yea go me
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #343 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by n2xe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious how they are measuring the frequency response of an IEM since it depends greatly on the ear canal itself. I'm also suspicious about the identical marked drop in response at about 10 kHz for both an IEM and a full size over-the-ear phone. It doesn't pass the smell test. Either there are some serious systematic flaws in instrumentation of someone is just making up the data. I may be dead wrong but this really looks suspicious. Can someone post a link where I can find technical data on the origin of these curves?

OK, I found Headroom's technical page. Looks like they do it right to me. I'll accept that the data is correct and the CX-300 has pronounced bass response. They sound great at $50!

http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...re-headphones/

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #344 of 372
CX300's: great replacement for stock ipod buds, lost the rubber tips very easily, strong bass, but at no time was i thinking like an 'audiophile' & trying to pick out details, i just wanted something better than stock ibuds - which they were, until the left earpiece went off a bit. i was not compelled to replace them with the same. since moved up to HD25's. i recognised my CX300's for what they were, while i had them - at the time i compared them to my PX100's - i guessed that PX100's sounded better in mid's / highs 'cos they were open, but still with punchy bass (sorry, i don't do audiophile speak) compared to the CX300 which i would expect to have less of this due to being sealed.

so i expect new ipod owners would love them, but having gotten a taste of better sound, would soon feel like moving on from them.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #345 of 372
Quote:

Looks like they do it right to me.

That's comforting to know........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back