The TOPPING D70 Pro OCTO HIFI DAC - Now Available on Apos Audio
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #46 of 66
I see you didn't really like it :)

In what system have you tested, what gear, what was the source, what kind of music etc... Because these are important factors.

I would have never bought it for electronic music for example... But I really enjoy it for jazz and vocal.

I have changed a Sabre DAC for this, and I would never want Sabre again :)))
I tested it balance D70 octo --> Ifi pro ican --> Diana MR listening. Apparently I listen to "Alt Z" whatever that means. Thought I listened to indie pop/pop/edm but not sure how people tag/come up with genre names anymore

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 66
"I listened to indie pop/pop/edm"

This DAC is obviously not for that genre :)
I have D70 Pro Octo and can feel thicker lows, still transparent midrange, stage is wide, depth is ok not the best I have heard. EDM on it via A70 Pro is great, at least what my ears tells me. As per reviews, ESS version is having sharper edge, shorter decay, little more speed, so all in all gives more details and quicker bass with less impact, narrower stage with laser precision. Passion for sound and soundnews have good reviews about that DACs on yt.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #50 of 66
I have D70 Pro Octo and can feel thicker lows, still transparent midrange, stage is wide, depth is ok not the best I have heard. EDM on it via A70 Pro is great, at least what my ears tells me. As per reviews, ESS version is having sharper edge, shorter decay, little more speed, so all in all gives more details and quicker bass with less impact, narrower stage with laser precision. Passion for sound and soundnews have good reviews about that DACs on yt.
Yes I know that, that's why I chose Octo for mostly jazz and vocal centric music.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #51 of 66
I just got one of them to compare to the AK4499 D90 original. It's impressive, but the long slow filter doesn't have the pleasant rolloff of harsh highs that the original D90 has. It's great for production work where you want pinpoint accuracy, and the 5.2v output means a lower noise floor if your amplifier can handle it without clipping. I've had the A70 Pro and another coming next week, you couldn't go wrong with the combination. Whether it's an upgrade to any stack with 120 SINAD is just going to be a personal call, and what connectivity you need. The advantage is you can probably stay in low gain mode permanently for best sound quality, and if the HE6se is your white whale you'll be really happy on the balanced side. I've got the E70 Velvet too, and the slow/long filter on it is closer to this original AK4499, the Octo filters really are hard to tell apart. Firmware was easy to upgrade. I think they had some help from Gustard because the menu looks similar to the X26Pro with the "unlock" message.

octo a90 stack.jpg

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #52 of 66
I just got one of them to compare to the AK4499 D90 original. It's impressive, but the long slow filter doesn't have the pleasant rolloff of harsh highs that the original D90 has. It's great for production work where you want pinpoint accuracy, and the 5.2v output means a lower noise floor if your amplifier can handle it without clipping. I've had the A70 Pro and another coming next week, you couldn't go wrong with the combination. Whether it's an upgrade to any stack with 120 SINAD is just going to be a personal call, and what connectivity you need. The advantage is you can probably stay in low gain mode permanently for best sound quality, and if the HE6se is your white whale you'll be really happy on the balanced side. I've got the E70 Velvet too, and the slow/long filter on it is closer to this original AK4499, the Octo filters really are hard to tell apart. Firmware was easy to upgrade. I think they had some help from Gustard because the menu looks similar to the X26Pro with the "unlock" message.

octo a90 stack.jpg
What do you prefer on the Slow roll off linear over the Fast one? Fast for me seems more accurate.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #53 of 66
so what has happened to this thread? is speaking about octo anymore? i'm thinking of buying it.... me too have s17pro and he1000se to drive, but the fact you say it is slow is stopping me.... bass shy? any youtubers said that ...mah

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #54 of 66
so what has happened to this thread? is speaking about octo anymore? i'm thinking of buying it.... me too have s17pro and he1000se to drive, but the fact you say it is slow is stopping me.... bass shy? any youtubers said that ...mah
Not a huge succes, I assume... DACs come and go this days, it was just not interesting enough for most people.

Too bad because I want to sell my unit (I'm not so satisfied, want to upgrade) but with this reputation it won't be easy :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #56 of 66
Why u are not satisfied??
WaveTheory was the ONLY honest reviewer of this product.

It really sounds amazing with simple music, only with a few instruments or vocal. It is great for jazz or blues for example. But when some more complex music comes on - boom, the whole thing falls apart. Dynamics and details disappear, and it starts to sound like a mess.

Soundstage also narrower than how I like it, and the thing is prone to sibilance.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #57 of 66
WaveTheory was the ONLY honest reviewer of this product.

It really sounds amazing with simple music, only with a few instruments or vocal. It is great for jazz or blues for example. But when some more complex music comes on - boom, the whole thing falls apart. Dynamics and details disappear, and it starts to sound like a mess.

Soundstage also narrower than how I like it, and the thing is prone to sibilance.
o gosh thanks to saving me from buying it.... any advice for me? i'm getting crazy reading all these reviews and listening you tube...

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #59 of 66
i accepted today to buy a modded gustard x26pro there is here in italy a good technician, expert in modding gustard, with 800-900 euros he changes a lot of parts with better ones giving more fluidity and silence\blackness i don't know how to say, i've found a used one modded by him. i would like to buy an a26 he told me that the modding give more fluidity to x26pro versus original a26 ore r26, a friend of mine made the mod on his r26 and is veeery satisfied but i was looking for a fast sound and r26 is not as fast as x26, in the future i will try other modded gustard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back