The Tomahawk appreciation thread.
Feb 18, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #211 of 230
Blackboard, the grumpy blackboard rolls in saying:
" more pic's! more pic's"

icon10.gif

loving the different feedback so far.
To many people are staying quiet?, and the others are defending
the big brother that wasn't mentioned in the thread post..
icon10.gif

sounds like the TH straight poons, and is blowing everyones mind..
lucky peoples..
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #212 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackboard, the grumpy blackboard rolls in saying:
" more pic's! more pic's"

icon10.gif

Okay, he-a-r+e+ you go...

RSA_Tomahawk5.JPG

RSA_Tomahawk1.JPG

RSA_TomaHornet3.JPG

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #216 of 230
I like them both. Note, I use both with IEMs only. The sound signature generally is similiar - neutral, accurate and clear - , but differs at certain points. The Hornet (+350 hours, M-version) definately offers a tad deeper and better defined bass from 200Hz and below. The Tomahawk (about 200 hours, but with lots of off/on) on the other hand seems to have better resolution of low level dynamics in the upper mids and highs to my humble ears. The Tomahawk reveals the ever so distinct touch to a cymbal or triangle, where the Hornet can let the bow dance on the strings of a double bass. The recording of the two double basses on Johnny Cash/Help Me/American V for instance is out of this world, and the deep bass drum kicks at the end of Chris Jones/Thank You/Roadhouses & Automobiles simply are breathtaking. With the Toma/super.fi 5 pros I got the impression of an extended soundstage compared with the Hornet, while checked back with UE-10s they seem to be equal here. But that leads me to find not so good recordings with collapsed soundstage sounding better with the Toma/super.fi than Tomahawk or Hornet/UE-10s. Overall, no clear winner for me, as my choice depends much on mood and music. Outdoors I grap to the Toma exclusively, though.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #218 of 230
hmm... it seems very consistent that among people that have both the hornet and tomahawk, they mentioned the hornet have more bass and the tomahawk is more clear... so now it's just a matter of preference... i will be getting the hornet one of these days, but i'm still trying to burn in my tomahawk, which probably only has 200 hours on it...

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #219 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like them both. Note, I use both with IEMs only. The sound signature generally is similiar - neutral, accurate and clear - , but differs at certain points. The Hornet (+350 hours, M-version) definately offers a tad deeper and better defined bass from 200Hz and below. The Tomahawk (about 200 hours, but with lots of off/on) on the other hand seems to have better resolution of low level dynamics in the upper mids and highs to my humble ears. The Tomahawk reveals the ever so distinct touch to a cymbal or triangle, where the Hornet can let the bow dance on the strings of a double bass. The recording of the two double basses on Johnny Cash/Help Me/American V for instance is out of this world, and the deep bass drum kicks at the end of Chris Jones/Thank You/Roadhouses & Automobiles simply are breathtaking. With the Toma/super.fi 5 pros I got the impression of an extended soundstage compared with the Hornet, while checked back with UE-10s they seem to be equal here. But that leads me to find not so good recordings with collapsed soundstage sounding better with the Toma/super.fi than Tomahawk or Hornet/UE-10s. Overall, no clear winner for me, as my choice depends much on mood and music. Outdoors I grap to the Toma exclusively, though.

a very clear description, wolfB, and DYNAMITE photos !!!

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #220 of 230
Hi all

guess this is the perfect place to ask - but can the burn in process be achieved by hooking up the Tomahawk just using a min to mini connector (attached to Senn HD25sp's) through the CD headphone socket - and left to play?

And if yes, how loud should i have the Tomahawk set at -whilst not risking my headphones.

thanx for any help

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #221 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does? Can you point to a test or review? Thanks.

I'd like to dig a little deeper on this subject with both of you! I have a new 30GB U2 Pod which I've used the sound leveling on. I also have the original Mini with out the leveling turned on and the one thing I notice with that one is (I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that on the DAP's the sound level is set at the digital recording time) so I have some songs that literally jump in your face from track to track. I generally have to adjust volume when coming straight off the Pod because of distortion, not the same when coming through the Toma.

Now with that said once I have the volume adjusted the track sounds better than a leveled one if I'm making sense! My initial thoughts are the leveling does affect the dynamic range of the material. When I listen to the same tracks on the leveled U2 pod they are almost veiled
eek.gif

The one thing I want to know for sure is that if the sound leveling option truly degrades my sound I want it off and yesterday
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #222 of 230
Is it me or does my HD25-1s sound markably better on high gain/low volume compared to low gain/higher volume setting.

sound (especially the bottom end ) has a more meaty sound on high gain setting

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #223 of 230
Have been enjoying Ray's Tomahawk immensely with my SE530's.

Recently, I picked up a pair of Grado SR325i's., and now have Grado fever. Kudos to John for giving us "music force injection machines".

What a great combination: 3g Nano (Apple Lossless files)-->ALO Cryo Dock-->RSA Tomahawk-->SR325i

After 50 hours of burn-in, I thought I'd achieved a pretty neat little setup. Then I found SRS Labs' iWOW (an iTunes sound enhancer plug-n). Hands down the best $20 I've ever spent on this hobby. It was like it spit shined every single note, from 20hz to 20khz. I was absolutely astounded at the difference! Within 10 minutes, I literally found myself uttering WOW!

If you have an iPod and a Mac, give iWOW a try.
Install it, adjust settings, sync your iPod and "Off You Go".
If you have an iPod & a PC, then try SRS Labs' Sandbox (same thing for PCs)

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #224 of 230
From what I understand once the Tomahawk is burned in (500 hours+) it sounds pretty equal with the Hornet. Maybe not quite as good but pretty darn close. What about the SR-71? Some have said that the TH almost sounds better. How is this possible? The SR-71 is a full dual mono amp, shouldn't this make it sound cleaner, and better?

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #225 of 230
WRT Tomahawk burn-in, to quote Ray himself:
"It just keeps getting better & better, my friend"
As the Brits say: Ray's comment was "spot on".
Passing 700 hours and it does keep getting better!
Ray is perhaps the nicest guy I've met in this industry - a real class act, and a true "artiste". Can't go wrong with his stuff.

FYI: Ray turned me on to an album by Bella Sonus called Enamoured. He mentioned it originally for its "deep sub bass", which is true. However, I want to take a minute to thank Ray for the tip, and highly recommend this extensively engineered recording of "chill out / new age" music, to all (Robert Smith & Angel Suarez - keyboards, fantastic percussion, and Nuevo Flamenco Guitar). Check it out. Even if you don't like the music (which I find addictive) the recording quality is fantastic. It will give your cans one heck of a "work out" Thanks again Ray. Got any more Bella Sonus-like recommendations up your sleeve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back