The Tomahawk appreciation thread.
Feb 10, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #197 of 230
The Tomahawk is pretty special. I've had mine since about 2 weeks after it was released. I use it close to 3/4 hour a day during the week when walking the dogs and another couple of hours over the weekend (longer walks). I've used it for many hours on planes and still have the original batteries. I am using it at the moment with my ER6is which sound good out of the ipod but are just more refined sounding with TH. Everything is tighter, more controlled. I've used it on high gain with my 650s and it sounds great. I need to get another pair of E500s, which I bet would really shine out of the TH.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #199 of 230
OK, here is some more input:

I spent some time today comparing the Tomahawk to the SR71. I'm not sure that the Tomahawk wasn't actually better sounding. It may have been. So much smaller, less expensive, but at least driving the Sennheiser HD25-1, I think was actually better sounding than it's big brother.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #200 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, here is some more input:

I spent some time today comparing the Tomahawk to the SR71. I'm not sure that the Tomahawk wasn't actually better sounding. It may have been. So much smaller, less expensive, but at least driving the Sennheiser HD25-1, I think was actually better sounding than it's big brother.

I understand. The TH seems have better imaging, more sound space depth. and a more energetic/lifelike presentation.

I also feel, however, that in addition to the 3 RSA portables being somewhat different, each has its own unique strengths: The SR-71 has the smoothest, most contiguous (seamless) frequency spectrum with no frequency range jumping out, and excellent extension from bottom to top with my favorite "bass on demand" so that there is no constant overwhelm of deep/pumping bass when it's not warranted by the recorded material.

The SR-71 also still has the greatest sense of ease and air, and the blackest background, the best handling of microdynamics and microdetail/nuance -- though the TH comes very close in this regard.

The Hornet, of course, has the most bass energy and punch, warmest signature, and IMO the fastest response. My TH has increased its bass response even a bit more well over 600 hours -- as well as its imaging -- but I feel the Hornet still has more punch and speed, with the TH's bass a bit softer/less articulated.

I'm actually finding myself switching to the TH over the Hornet, rather than the other way around as I originally did. Perhaps it's still dependent on particular recording/type of music and mood - and of course source and phones.

I no longer have an SR-71 on hand for comparisons since a few days ago I returned the long-term loaner to friend jjcha -- but I've had several SR-71s for long periods since its release -- and I've spent so many hours listening in intensive comparisons -- that its sound is almost imprinted in my memory.

It's all great fun, very satisfying, and sooooo entertaining.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #201 of 230
I see your points, Romanee. I no longer have the Hornet around to compare, and I am just getting to know the SR71. But they all do have their strengths, and they are all different, I agree. And they are all very good.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #202 of 230
Lately I have been burning in the Tomahawk even though it already had over 500 hours. Why because I found that it was getting very close to the Hornet (a bit less bass but not much of a difference to justify keeping both amps for the small difference).

Well a couple of days ago I used the feature in iTunes and iPod to set the volume on all my songs at the same level. On one hand it is very good but on the other it lowered a lot of my music by as much as -13dB. Well The Hornet "M" can handle it with the gain switch while driving my 2005 Beyer DT990/250 ohm. However I feel the Tomahawk is struggling a bit.

Has any of you experience similar issues using the iTunes/iPod feature? Thanks.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #203 of 230
Doesn't using that feature in iTunes degrade the sound?

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #204 of 230
So it sounds like the best way to burn in the Tomahawk is to play pink noise at slightly higher than listening volume. Does anyone agree with someone who said to alternate bet'n pink noise and regular music every so often?

Also, is there any reason to have a pair of phones connected during burn in?

Feb 12, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #205 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it sounds like the best way to burn in the Tomahawk is to play pink noise at slightly higher than listening volume. Does anyone agree with someone who said to alternate bet'n pink noise and regular music every so often?

Also, is there any reason to have a pair of phones connected during burn in?

Yes your headphones have to be plugged in for the amp to burn in sound needs to be input and output.

I dont think there is any proof to the pink noise vs music for burn-in but do whatever you want as long as you do a burn-in I think you will be very happy with the results;

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #206 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes your headphones have to be plugged in for the amp to burn in sound needs to be input and output.

I dont think there is any proof to the pink noise vs music for burn-in but do whatever you want as long as you do a burn-in I think you will be very happy with the results;

Wicked. Thanks, trose.

Also, +1 for Ray is a great man to do business with!

Can't wait to receive mine....

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #207 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hornet, of course, has the most bass energy and punch, warmest signature, and IMO the fastest response. My TH has increased its bass response even a bit more well over 600 hours -- as well as its imaging -- but I feel the Hornet still has more punch and speed, with the TH's bass a bit softer/less articulated.

I'm actually finding myself switching to the TH over the Hornet, rather than the other way around as I originally did. Perhaps it's still dependent on particular recording/type of music and mood - and of course source and phones.

I'll add my comments to Romanee's, which actually echo other posts I've made. More and more I find I reach first for my TH. After about 500 hours of burn I find it very nice. With my ES2's the Hornet still has bigger, warmer and fuller bass, but this isn't necessarily the sound I always want. The air, detail, imaging and soundstage the TH brings to my ears is very addictive.

Still and all, I'm not ready to say I "prefer" the TH to the Hornet from a pure SQ perspective. Different days, different music, different moods means I like having the choice. I could quite happily live with either. That said, I'll admit the TH is getting about 75% of my listening time.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #209 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does? Can you point to a test or review? Thanks.

are we talking sound check?

Does not degrade sound it lowers the db level or raises it to a predetermed level but usually it lowers it too much. Thats why I use Ivolume this way it sets the sound check to my setting not Itunes?

Works very well trust me!

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #210 of 230
I know that sound check on an iPod causes distortion. I haven't tried it in iTunes. But depending on how iTunes is doing the level matching, it could well either:

1. Cause distortion
2. Reduce resolution (by reducing the level it may be reducing bit depth).

or even both. I highly doubt Sound Check does what something like MP3gain does, does it? I can't believe it's that sophisticated...

And FWIW, I am a big iTunes user - I am NOT an Apple basher. I just doubt that this could be benign. For background listening, maybe it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back